Blown shock - New insert or whole new shock?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheBaker

Blown shock - New insert or whole new shock?

Post by TheBaker »

So one of my shocks is clearly done, it's knocking pretty badly and there is dried up liquid residue on the shock.

Just looking for some advice, the price of a new shock absorber and inserts are about the same, should I just get a new insert or whole new shock?

I imagine the insert is much more easy/quick to replace which would be a plus...

Also, any personal reccomendations on where to buy them.

Cheers. :)
Ian Geary

Re: Blown shock - New insert or whole new shock?

Post by Ian Geary »

to be honest, I would think the new shock is easier to refit, as you don't have to mess with opening the strut up.

I bought a Koni ssk153 kit, which included 4 x inserts, and red lowered springs - but didn't rate the springs that much

are these standard Toyota struts for an NA? or replacement bilsteins for a turbo?

Ian
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

i have a second hand set of rev 3 struts if you want to keep costs down. ill sell as a pair or 4 if you want. they are a bit rusty but never had issues with them ive just changed to a full set of superstreets.

let me know if there any use and il take pics at the weekend
C50

Post by C50 »

all depends if you got the rebuildable struts and i'd be tempted to replace a matching pair i.e. both sides

yes, refurbishing a shock is time consuming. Go for the simpler complete shock if for ease
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Right, need to order one this week, where else sell them apart from Ebay and TCB parts(standard NA rev2 shock)?

Also, what is involved in changing a shock? How long should it take for a mechanic?

Cheers.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”