[Mk2] [Turbo] Edit:*Dyno Update*Car back from its iridium sparkplug mishap =D

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kongaroo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Edit:*Dyno Update*Car back from its iridium sparkplug mishap =D

Post by Kongaroo »

RumbleStrips wrote:Great figures and your new exhaust looks really good 8)

How would a gt28rs compare to my ct20b at low rpms?

Thanks for the kind words :D

If someone can post up a Rev 3 CT20b dyno pull in 4th gear from a dyno dynamics then we would have the answer - can anyone help out?

I had a quick look and could only find this one which is done in 3rd gear and is a rev 2 running a CT20b:

Here is V6 conversion for comparison:

It's only when I started comparing the low end torque figures with what was already out there that I truly started to appreciate the truly monstrous spool the GT28rs has, lol.
Sideways Si

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Edit:*Dyno Update*Car back from its iridium sparkplug mishap =D

Post by Sideways Si »

That Engine bay looks the best i've ever seen it, Well done on your results kong. :thumleft:
Class Winner Brighton Speed Trials 2010
Class Winner Brighton Speed Trials 2011
Class Record Holder Since 2010
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Does the car actually feel like it makes that torque so low?

As no other setup I've seen makes torque like that, lol (uk dyno).

Seems insane.....
I can make X psi low end, but not actually make torque, does that make sense?? Turbo still spooling making 12-16psi but not pulling quite yet.
So whether your at 16psi at 3k rpm, doesn't mean your making good torque by default.

No other graph on the SRR thread is anywhere near like that, lol

btw that is my old rev2 graph (ct20b), it was the old champion of low mid torque till 4k rpm out of most of those dyno plots.
But it's been destroyed, lol.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Sideways Si wrote:That Engine bay looks the best i've ever seen it, Well done on your results kong. :thumleft:

Cheers Simon - I've been keeping an interested eye on your car everytime I've been at SBITS - your recent heat cladding looked excellent I must say :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

jimGTS wrote:Does the car actually feel like it makes that torque so low?

As no other setup I've seen makes torque like that, lol (uk dyno).

Seems insane.....
I can make X psi low end, but not actually make torque, does that make sense?? Turbo still spooling making 12-16psi but not pulling quite yet.
So whether your at 16psi at 3k rpm, doesn't mean your making good torque by default.

No other graph on the SRR thread is anywhere near like that, lol

btw that is my old rev2 graph (ct20b), it was the old champion of low mid torque till 4k rpm out of most of those dyno plots.
But it's been destroyed, lol.

Jim - you are correct when you say not by default as it depends on how optimised your map is at that area. However 16psi in the engine is 16psi regardless of whether that boost level is continuing to rise (what you are referring to as spooling) or whether it has been set to remain at 16psi using a boost controller.

Not may people bother to post up their boost vs RPM graph so it's difficult for me to find examples but here is one I found of a GT3076r on a Dastek - it's Trickster's and on page 2 of this thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 7&start=20

If you look at the boost graph you can see that at 3000 RPM he has about 3.5psi. At this point he has 140fltlbs of torque. The strength of the GT28rs is in its incredible spool up.

As for how fast the car feels low down - I usually don't like make assumptions based on my butt dyno because it's impossible to tell with any accuracy without a measuring device. On the road I use a Blitz Power-ID and sometimes a G-tech if I want a second reference. I love these tuning tools because once you have the correct weight of car+driver and account for wind resistance they are surprisingly accurate.

I told a few people before I went to the dyno what I suspected the car to be running based on what I was seeing on my Power-ID which was between 360 to 380 flywheel which as you can see is pretty much bang on what I got.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Cool little tools those by the sounds of things.

The iPhones one (an app) is ment to be pretty good to.

Guess one to note when comparing that torque at that rpm is what gear your in, and whether you've started the run at 2k rpm, 2.5k etc etc.
Still, sweet results.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

jimGTS wrote:Cool little tools those by the sounds of things.

The iPhones one (an app) is ment to be pretty good to.

Guess one to note when comparing that torque at that rpm is what gear your in, and whether you've started the run at 2k rpm, 2.5k etc etc.
Still, sweet results.

Cheers Jim. I agree that the gear used should be noted. I'd imagine starting the run at lower RPMs will give you a slight spool advantage. The runs you see in graph 2 of this thread were all started somewhere between 2500 and 3000 RPM btw.

I've heard about the I-phone application - I recall it's a bit of a bargain pricewise as well.

I've read that these are also great tuning tools too:
http://www.performancebox.co.uk/

I would love to get one to try out but I think a 3rd performance meter would just be me being greedy :mrgreen:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

A little update on my car... just had these beauties fitted - Phoenix Power adjustable rear control arms, followed by an alignment. Thanks to SBITS for a great job as usual!

Photos:

You can see the tread pattern of my recently fitted Kumho V70a/V700 tyres here too - 265/45/16's for a nice fat rear end :lol: :
deseroner

Post by deseroner »

I hate u :) jealous. good job.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Was these control arms the ones on ebay ?
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

deseroner wrote:I hate u :) jealous. good job.

Haha, hi Jose. I didn't know you were also a member on IMOC forums but I'm honored to be your 4th post on here in the year+ you've been a member :lol:

You should get your awesome car build posted up here and show us in the UK how it's done over in the US :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

RyanRs wrote:Was these control arms the ones on ebay ?

Hi Ryan - I bought these off Road Warrior on IMOC. Do you still have the link to the ebay ones?

After giving these a bit of a testing this weekend I must say I'm quite happy with them. I was worried that they might make the car feel overly harsh as they remove a lot of the rubber bushings in the rear but I needn't have worried really.

There is more road noise transmitted which you can notice when you go over bumps but otherwise no complaints and the car does feel nice and precise now although that may have something to do with the wheel alignment being done at the same time, lol.

This was my first wheel alignment in 5 years of owning the car :lol: I didn't know it but I had 9mm of toe in on the front (but equally both sides). I'm now running 1mm toe out at the front instead and the car turns in beautifully now even with just the 205 width I have on the moment.

Return to “Modifications”