[Mk2] [Turbo] Firewall carpet

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adam3442

[Mk2] [Turbo] Firewall carpet

Post by adam3442 »

The 'carpet' I mean is on the firewall behind the turbo, the horrible black fibre stuff that makes your hands itch.

Do you need this or is it purely for sound insulation?

Cheers,

Adam
adam3442

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Firewall carpet

Post by adam3442 »

Nobody?
Mike N

firewall

Post by Mike N »

Adam

It is probably noise damping because the fire wall itself is dual walled with a solid thick black looking material between each wall.

The mat you mentioned is fibreglass to stop it burning so quick.

Hope that helps
Mike
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

Cheers Mike I assumed it would be a sound insulator.

Do you think it would be ok to remove it?

Cheers
RST

Post by RST »

Nobody?
...6h is a long time to wait?

I would imagine it's there for some heat protection to be honest. If it's rockwool / mineral wool (itchy fibrous stuff like you describe*) then it's usually a heat thing otherwise there's other more user friendly things used but it will give some sound dampening. Dunno whether it makes a whole heap of difference removing it -Toyota fitted stuff to please the general paying public, not because it was definately needed.

* wear a proper dust mask and latex gloves when handling rockwool!!!!
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

Thanks bud, what I wanted to hear and yes I'm impatient :mrgreen:
RST

Post by RST »

LoL no worries :thumleft: In my experience (professionally anyway) denser heavier materials are generally there for sound and lighter "fluffy stuff" for want of a better word is there for heat. Doesn't always apply though.
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

Nice one bud I'm sure it will be fine as there are still the metal heat shields directly behind the turbo/manifold/downpipe.

I've seen a few engine bays without it, but not many, hopefully it will be ok.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i removed mine inner & outer you can really hear the garret gt30 now :thumleft: to me i would say its purely sound deadining as the heat shield is in front of it here is a pic with mine gone :thumleft:

Rob

Post by Rob »

It is definitely a heat retardant or it wouldn't be made of mineral wool material.

If you take it off, give the car a good thrashing on a hot day etc the heat of the manifold could easily pass through the metal bulkhead and then ignite the fibres of the internal carpeting.

Look at what happens to non lit but smouldering cigarettes when left on fabrics. The heat alone is enough to cause a fire without the presence of a flame.

Don't take it off!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Pmsl are you serious rob! :lol:

Take the stuff off! Got rid of mine 4 years ago an i have not had any problems. the firewall doesn't even get that hot, if it did then there would be evidence of melting wires / plastic as they run all along the inside of that firewall! Its not even hot to touch!

Leave the heat shields on the firewall though as they protect the fuel lines from the manifold.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Edit...Ryan beat me to it!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

ashman wrote:Edit...Ryan beat me to it!

hehe :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

RyanRs wrote:Pmsl are you serious rob! :lol:

Take the stuff off! Got rid of mine 4 years ago an i have not had any problems. the firewall doesn't even get that hot, if it did then there would be evidence of melting wires / plastic as they run all along the inside of that firewall! Its not even hot to touch!

Leave the heat shields on the firewall though as they protect the fuel lines from the manifold.

Quite serious Ryan, so your 'PMSL' is quite insulting actually.

I see your point about the firewall shield taking the brunt of the heat, but toyota didn't put a mineral wool quilt layer there for the fun of it, and it isn't for sound deadening as it is not in constant contact with the firewall.

I work in an industry where not conforming to safety standards is a big risk. Perhaps you are prepared to take that risk yourself, but are you prepared to tell someone else to do the same?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

well i suppose that all depends on how you read my 'PMSL'.

The firewall is '4 layers of steel thick'. its not just a single layer like the body panels. I dont know the exact reasons that the insulation is there but id put a big guess that its to stop heat transfer into the cab,possibly making the cab's ambient air 'Hotter' than what some people would consider comfortable (even tho this is not the case)or to stop temperature variations in the cab every time you go on / come off a fast road. Its defiantly also used for sound deadening and they have to use fire retardant material for this as any other material that close to the turbo/mani/downpipe Would catch fire!

Many people who have Big HP mr2s have to strip this insulation off to give more space for larger turbos with custom manifolds , external WG's and big downpipes, BIG HP also means much more heat! and they never seem to have any issues!

Heres a few more examples from a few big hitters:-

Matt's

Nathan's

And my own :-
ashley

Post by ashley »

I think the material is there as sound and heat proofing- they didn't use the solid sound deadening 'cos that melts at a relatively low temperature.
But I don't think it's there to stop the carpet catching fire- if anything it's to keep cabin temperatures down as much as possible....which is irrelevant in a race/ drag car set up. If there was enough heat on the firewall to burn the interior carpets there is no way the stock fuel lines would run where they do [-(

Plus- lets be honest- there are enough tubbies out there with it removed already- if there was any risk of this leading to fire we would have heard of it already wouldn't we....?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Fair point chaps.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

that last engine is pure sex! :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Vampire wrote:that last engine is pure sex! :thumleft: