Brake caliper refurb

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Paul in the Port

Brake caliper refurb

Post by Paul in the Port »

Evening all

Just looking at a major overhall of my brakes this weekend before the MoT thats due early June. Does anyone know what parts come in the Brakes International Service kit? Looking at the rear caliper service kit - they're around £23 per side for the AW11. I'll need all seals, sliders (and maybe pistons???).

I've got a set of ST185 calipers being delivered tomorrow so they'll be getting the full electrolysis and enamel treatment before a full rebuild.

Any other suppliers i should look at??

Thanks
Paul
IanClements

Re: Brake caliper refurb

Post by IanClements »

I used the Brakes Int kit about 5 years ago, you get all the seals but no pistons or anything like that.

Have to say that of the two rear calipers I refurbed the first had to be replaced by a full recon a couple of years back and the other one's just started sticking so not particularly happy but might be my fault for putting new seals on tired calipers; they were working 100% before I did them though.
Paul in the Port

Cheers Ian - was more in hope that i thought it may include pistons!! BiggRed seem pretty competitive also for seals but they dont seem to have sliders on the website so will have to ring them

I'm actually looking at replacing them in the future with a set of mk2 rear calipers - just wish i could find some for sensible money now so i could just do the whole refurb in one go with AW11 front discs (on the rear) with a 6mm spacer behind that would also put my mk3 alloys in the right place!!

Just reading the following thread and sounds like Mr T might be worth a call in the morning - especially as i need a full set of suspension bolts from them too (and get a discount on all parts).

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=118
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Agree that Mr T will do the best quality rubber, I used the K-Box distributor seal kit, the main o-ring lasted about 6 months before it started leaking again so I went to Mr T and £1.50's worth has lasted several years so far.
Paul in the Port

You'd think that these aftermarket suppliers would be able to supply decent quality rubber parts wouldnt you!! I guess they often hold old stock and so hardened with age.

Looks like I may have found some mk2 rear calipers via the Wanted section!!
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

I just replaced both rears from TCB parts at £86.80+ VAT each plus delivery. I had to have both cables replaced as they'd seized and the MOT showed the handbrake was 2% effective (I just put in gear when parked). The reason I replaced the calipers is because one had the bleed nipple broken and it had been replaced at some point by a screw and after the cables were replaced and front pads changed it was just leaking when brakes were applied, so rather than just replace one side I got the pair so they should see me right for a few years.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

The rear caliper seal kits from Toyota are :thumleft: and around £60 (Does Pair) inc VAT and are more comprehensive than the Brakes Int kit

4 years and counting on my calipers

Chris.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Paul in the Port

Thanks for all the info gents. I've ordered the seal kits from BiggRed today for both the ST185 front and SW20 late model rear calipers. Just about to have a look at the front calipers i have to see if i need to order the slider pins also. These are available via ebay if needs be - but probably just order them from Mr T in the morning as i need a full set of suspension bolts to do the Poly bushes.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”