Auto Up-Down for the Passengers Window

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimi

Auto Up-Down for the Passengers Window

Post by jimi »

Here's the latest Jimi™ modification for the MK1
Most of you will have seen the Auto Up mod for the drivers window which is fairly straight forward. However due to the odd way Mr T did the wiring to the passengers window (no relay, the switches carry the full motor load) the passengers side is a bit more awkward.
I figured out how to do this a couple of years ago, but it meant putting in a separate switch, and couldn't find a suitable switch that looked right and could be fitted on the door controls.
I like my mods to be unobtrusive and subtle so you don't know they are there. So I never took it any further at the time, just put it on the back burner.
A couple of months ago while out for a run in the car an idea popped into my head.
I'm usually in the car myself with the T-bars off and the windows down, I very rarely have the passengers window in a intermediate position, it's either up or down.
How about using the existing passengers switch on the drivers side to give me the auto up/down function on the passengers window and have the normal function from the passenger side door switch ? a look at the diagrams showed that it looked quite possible. Had a go at it the other day and it works fine. :+:

This is what I have now:-
Press and release ( you no longer have to hold it ) the passengers window switch on the drivers door, passengers window goes fully up or down depending on the direction you choose.
The passengers door switch operates the window as normal.
Only 2 downsides to this mod
1. I can't partially open/close the passengers window from the drivers side controls, it's either up or down.
2. The window lock button on the drivers side controls (which only locks the passengers window) no longer works
..... no loss on either point as far as I'm concerned :D

Upsides are
I get the kind of control of the passengers window I wanted
Using the relay takes the motor load off the existing switches, they'll last a lot longer.
It's unobtrusive and subtle, you can't tell from looking anything has been changed.
8-)

What you will need
Another power window relay (gray relay from drivers side door) modified with the extra diodes for auto up mod.
The plug for the relay with as much cable attached as you can get. This is optional, it quite possible to wire it up without the plug using suitable cable and crimp connectors or soldering
Another plug + cable for the passengers door window switch. This is optional, it quite possible to wire it up without the plug using suitable cable and crimp connectors or soldering

Notes
If you make the connections to the existing switch plug using flat pin crimps then the mod can easily be reversed.
If you don't have the plugs then the connections to the relay and switch can be made with small spade crimps, again makes the mod easily reversible.

In the picture Power Windows_0002cs.jpg plug B is the relay, plug D is the switch, pin-outs are shown looking at the front of the plug (NOT from the cable side)
Wire colour codes are
L = blue
G - green
R = red
L-R = blue/red
W-B = white/black (this is earth)
G-Y = green/yellow
G-O = green/orange
G-R = green/red
G-W = green/white

I used one of the brackets from the power window relay to mount the new relay in the door using the bottom securing bolt for the door lock relay (green) which is already mounted on the door. Make sure the new wiring and relay is clear of the window when it's fully down.
Picture Power Windows_0001as.jpg shows the standard wiring

How to do it.
1. Remove the passengers door card
2. Wire up the relay to the existing switch plug as shown in Red on Power Windows_0001bs.jpg
3. Wire up the new switch plug as shown in Yellow on on Power Windows_0001bs.jpg
4. Refit the door card
5. Play with it to your hearts content ........... job done.

Enjoy
Jimi
Last edited by jimi on Tue May 25, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfiembra

Re: Auto Up-Down for the Passengers Window

Post by alfiembra »

Very clever and, as you say, subtle mod.

You never cease to amaze Jimi well done mate. :clap:

Alan
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Fantastic Jimi!! :thumleft:
I was also thinking about this recently and was planning to swap switches (similar in design, bar some easier grip grooves) from a Rover 400 as well as the relays from the same car (I happen to have a couple spare... ;) ) and using those to put the mod into the Mk1. Your method is definitely easier!! :thumleft:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Nice.

What happens if you hit the 'up' switch on the drivers side whilst the window is on it's way down? Does it just start coming back up immediately? Just wondering if there's a possibility to have it stop the window where it is.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Never tried it Chris, but I will. As I said I have no interest in having full control of the passengers window, one touch up/down from the drivers side was what I wanted :D
jimi

Post by jimi »

Curiosity got the better of me :oops: so I went out and tried it.
If I hit the drivers side switch in the opposite direction to the one the window is travelling in then it stops immediately, ie going up, hit down and it stops.

So bonus, still have pretty much full control of the window from the drivers side.
Thanks Chris, good suggestion :thumleft: 8)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Get supercharger window controls like me :)
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Interesting mod and a work of ingenuity, but is it really that hideous to hold the switch down for a little while?
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
jimi

Post by jimi »

All the time your hand is on the switch, it's not on the wheel, so you can't change gear or use the indicators :wink:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Love that Jimi :thumleft:
jimi

Post by jimi »

Cheers Paul

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Get supercharger window controls like me :)

:-s still doesn't give you auto Up/Down on the passengers window
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Applause indeed for Jimi, total kwolity. Love it. I'll put that one in the bank for later. :clap:
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

love your mods jimi !!!!

I have done your side light mods and along with some ebay SMD led side lights (When they arrive from china it will be a great update)

After a drive today in the sun ,i was messing around with the window controls i then started to look at your electric windows mods.

2 questions

1) is the driver relay in the door panel?.

2) Not having a spare relay for the passenger window mod , do you know if another 12v relay from maplins / RS or my lying around in my garage would do.

jimi

Post by jimi »

1. Drivers power window relay is in the drivers door behind the door trim.
2. When the window operates on auto, the circuit has to know when to stop the motor when the window is fully open or closed.
It does this by sensing the increase in motor current when it stalls ie fully open or closed or even if something stops the window from opening/closing.
So no other relay will do, this one contains 2 relays (up and down) and the electronics to control them, including a current sensing circuit.
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

Many Thanks Jimi ,
Driver side working a treat and also so easy!!!
Got to say this is a must for everyone.

Now waiting for another relay from a ebayer so that i can also do the passenger window.

This will also enable me to wire in a window closure module to my central locking alarm system.

Again Thanks :thumleft:
ulysess1966

Doors

Post by ulysess1966 »

Jimi, hats off to you, this is a superb mod. I got a relay on eBay this week for £7 delivered and am half-way through fitting it. The main reason is I want full-closure on the alarm and had been looking at building my own control system for both windows using a microcontroller, but this mod is just genius.

Now on a related note, does anyone know how to make the passenger window in an SC lock when you lock the driver's door? It isn't exactly central locking unless you press the button inside. Connecting an alarm module gives you a 'bipper,' but it would be useful sometimes just to be able to turn the driver's door key and be locked.

Cheers, Glenn.
jimi

Post by jimi »

If your going to use it for full-closure on the alarm then you will need to modify the circuit, the power window circuit is only powered with the ignition on, so there is no power to the window controls when you lock the car.
I already had both my windows closing with the alarm before I did this mod, I used a £10 window closure module from ebay to do it with a separate power supply to it.
One option is to change the power supply to the power window circuit to so that it isn't controlled by the ignition switch, that will allow you to use the alarm to close the windows, but will mean you can open / close the windows without having the ignition on.
mulaz

Post by mulaz »

My 2nd hand relay from ebay turned up and for £7 was great value!.
Wiring this up is a little more fiddly than the drivers side but not beyond most DIY car enthusiasts.

I only had the relay and not any extra wiring or the plug socket to go with the relay.
So i decided to cut away part of the relay plug socket and then soldered some suitable cables directly to the terminals.

watch out for the correct wiring numbering , dont forget clockwise and anti-clockwork wiring numbering depending if it's a male or female plug!!!!.

I fitted the new relay behind the black central door lock relay in the passenger door with sticky pads and cable ties, make sure the door stay arm does not foul the new relay when you shut the door.

Take your time with this mod and ask if in any doubt but what you will have for less than a £10 is a must have mod.

Do the mods to both doors then you can jump in and drive away with both window opening without having to keep any fingers on the window buttons.

pure class

Thanks Jimi :thumleft:
ulysess1966

Power windows

Post by ulysess1966 »

Jimi, thanks again for the heads up on that one, I'll sort some permanent power to the window circuits. I prefer windows that go up and down without needing the key anyway.

UPDATE: 20/06/10

I got Jimi's mod done yesterday and it works a treat, exactly as it should. Once I got the new control relay fitted I got to thinking that it would be nice to give the passenger the auto up/down function as well.

To do this shouldn't be difficult and since a quick 'blip' of the switch in the opposite direction to travel stops the window it isn't too difficult to set the window at roughly any point you want it from open to closed.

To do this mod of a mod you need to wire the passenger switch across the wiring coming in from the driver's switch. In other words ignore pins 5 and 9 on the 'new' control relay and instead wire the passenger switch to pins 6 and 8 along with the wires from the driver's side.

Now having done that you'll discover it won't work, but before cursing me up and down, if you look closely at Jimi's wiring diagram you'll see that you need to remove the grounded connection between the two switches on the driver's side otherwise you effectively get a short between pins 6 and 8 whenever you operate either switch on the passenger side. If pins 6 and 8 both get a positive voltage pulse... nowt happens.

So you need to remove the door card from the driver's side and get into the switch module and get rid of the connection between the 2 switches.

Okay I'll come clean - I haven't done this bit yet because I ran out of weekend, but I'm working on it and will post more info when I have it done. I used a completely separate SPDT switch to test it though and it does work, just need to modify the driver's door switch.

Anyone know if that's possible?? :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”