Air con regassing

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ian Geary

Air con regassing

Post by Ian Geary »

Tried to search, but didn't find anything

I'd just like to share my experience, which is that the Halfords R134a regassing kits (£50) do work.

You need your spare out of the way, but they're dead easy to use, and it turned my warm air blower back into something certainly cool, and actually approaching cold.

What's more, there's a £10 refund on the bottle (so £40), and last week I got a free anti bacterial spray too form Halfords with the purchase.

Given the temperature is 8-) I thought other IMOC'ers may be finding their air-con just isn't cutting the mustard at the moment

Ian
Andy_Foz

Re: Air con regassing

Post by Andy_Foz »

I can confirm this worked a treat on Ian's car, really is like a new car's AC. Well worth £40 for sure.

Andy
Hunders

Post by Hunders »

Where exactly do you spray them into?

When you said £50 I thought 'meh', as Kwik Fit will do a re-gas for £49 but if you get £10 back if you hand in the bottle then it's good value.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Hunders wrote:
When you said £50 I thought 'meh', as Kwik Fit will do a re-gas for £49 but if you get £10 back if you hand in the bottle then it's good value.

£49? £25 more like... and money back guaranteed if it's not colder. What's more they completely recover old gas/oil, pressure test, and regas/relubricate for that price.

Although the halfords kit has its plus points, you get a pressure gauge that can be permanently installed so that you know you've got low pressure, and it's also got the aircon equivalent of radweld in it which the Kwik-Fit stuff doesn't have.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

Where is the points to access the part to re gas the AC.

A friend of mine that works at VW will do it for me for a drink and i thought i'd find out first to let him know where the point it :?:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

sjm1984 wrote:Where is the points to access the part to re gas the AC.

A friend of mine that works at VW will do it for me for a drink and i thought i'd find out first to let him know where the point it :?:

In the frunk, the 'L' and 'H' valves are attached to shiny metal hard pipes at the back on the right hand side.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

toxo wrote:
sjm1984 wrote:Where is the points to access the part to re gas the AC.

In the frunk, the 'L' and 'H' valves are attached to shiny metal hard pipes at the back on the right hand side.

Would i have to remove the plastic surround?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

sjm1984 wrote:
toxo wrote:

Would i have to remove the plastic surround?

Yes.
michael

Post by michael »

toxo wrote:£49? £25 more like... and money back guaranteed if it's not colder. What's more they completely recover old gas/oil, pressure test, and regas/relubricate for that price.

You're quoting their winter prices there, it's back up to £49 again now that demand has increased.

HiQ are doing it for £35 though, 45 mins max, no fuss, proper job and cheaper than a DIY kit from Kwik Fit.

http://www.hiqonline.co.uk
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

damn just brought a kit off ebay for 40 quid :evil:
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

lol, ive just removed my aircon its all gone. what good timing that was

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”