Mk1 owners, bit of help/info plz

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

reddev1ll09

Mk1 owners, bit of help/info plz

Post by reddev1ll09 »

I bought a TRD rad cap for my Mk2 but its smaller than my rad cap.
is the mk1 40mm radius ?
mk2 is 45mm

Thank you in advance :thumleft:

PW@Woodsport

Re: Mk1 owners, bit of help/info plz

Post by PW@Woodsport »

All Mk1 and MK2 caps are the same.
reddev1ll09

Post by reddev1ll09 »

Thanks, is the MK3 the same as well do you know ?
The dude i bought it from says it was for a Mr2 (that's what it said on the list, he said)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The Mk3 uses a completely different setup/cap.... but that cap you have will fit a Mk1 :thumleft:
reddev1ll09

Post by reddev1ll09 »

:thumleft:

I'm going round to my 2 today, i will double check the fitment again, but if you say the mk1 & mk2 are the same size/setup it wont fit mk1 as it does not fit my mk2.

I quickly measured them both (caps) the other day after i couldn't get it on my mk2 & the TRD was 40mm - the Standard one was 45mm radius :-k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

There are two "types" of cap, type 1 fits mk1 and mk2 Mr2, the type 2 cap fits celicas and supras.

Basically if you are saying it doesn't fit your Mk2, then it won't fit a Mk1 either.
reddev1ll09

Post by reddev1ll09 »

8)

Thanks for clearing it up for me :thumleft:

as i said i'll double check today & post up later, but i'm sure it's not for mr2 now :mad:

again..thanks Mr Woodsport :lol:
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

I bought a cap off ebay from Japan the other week, not fitted yet as I want to flush out my system and fit new rad so that I don't get brown water in my new cap.

The new cap says Caution Racing Development TRD some jap stuff and never open when hot on the top of it. The packet says 1.3kg/cm2 on it.

The new cap is 45mm across the rounded sides. Just been out and checked the cap on my Mk 1 (AE101 SC conversion) and the cap is also 45mm.

So I think the new cap you got is for an MR2, but your mk2 doesn't have the correct cap on now.
reddev1ll09

Post by reddev1ll09 »

Clarky_X wrote:I bought a cap off ebay from Japan the other week, not fitted yet as I want to flush out my system and fit new rad so that I don't get brown water in my new cap.

The new cap says Caution Racing Development TRD some jap stuff and never open when hot on the top of it. The packet says 1.3kg/cm2 on it.

The new cap is 45mm across the rounded sides. Just been out and checked the cap on my Mk 1 (AE101 SC conversion) and the cap is also 45mm.

So I think the new cap you got is for an MR2, but your mk2 doesn't have the correct cap on now.

:-k My mk2 is an import & the rad cap has Jap writing on it with the same as you say above (without the TRD of course :lol: )
The TRD one is only 40mm side to side (radius) & as you say the mr2 one is 45mm. :lol:
suppose i'll just have to put it down to inexperience on my part :oops:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”