Whiteline Anti Roll Bars

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Whiteline Anti Roll Bars

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I am very interested in getting myself a new front and rear uprated roll bar.

My car has been lowered 30mm courtesy of the koni kit I've got installed, bearing this in mind, will I need shorter drop links or will the roll bars fit perfectly regardless of the drop?

Cheers
kaiowas

Re: Whiteline Anti Roll Bars

Post by kaiowas »

They'll fit fine. Only effect that lowering the car will have is that the ARB may not be totally flat when static which some people seem to think is important. Personally I don't think it makes any odds at the kind of small angles we're talking about here.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Go for it they are a fantastic mod, I willdig out some before and after cornering pics from mytrack car! The difference is amazing!

Be warned though the droplinks you get with the front will foul the inner arch if you fit them, best sticking with standard!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

oh you actually get drop links with the front one?

Ive found that fensport are cheaper than on the whiteline website, or is there somewhere else that supplies them?
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Camskill were by far the cheapest when I got them plus they did free delivery!
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:oh you actually get drop links with the front one?

You do but they're useless. They're just a length of metal bar bent into a loop around a rubber bush at each end. Unfortunately this makes them too big to fit inside the bracket on the shock casing so your only option is to fit them outside the bracket where they'll foul the inner arch when the suspension compresses.

In summary don't bother with them.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

kaiowas wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:oh you actually get drop links with the front one?

You do but they're useless. They're just a length of metal bar bent into a loop around a rubber bush at each end. Unfortunately this makes them too big to fit inside the bracket on the shock casing so your only option is to fit them outside the bracket where they'll foul the inner arch when the suspension compresses.

In summary don't bother with them.

I got them to work quite well, although I did adjust the arch with a hammer. But even so Tom riding curbs at cadwell managed to punch it through the arch :lol:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

LOL :D
I thought mine were ok on road untill a day at anglesey , mine have now had some fine adjustemnt with a hammer!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

So really I just use my existing ones lol as long as the dont break when I remove them!
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Just get a set of 4 links off ebay.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Ill just be very careful when taking them off as i replaced them all with new ones from Toyota, i'd rather not buy cheaper alternatives from eBay when it comes to things like that.
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

With my experience now I would say you are right. Took my car to tyres northampton yesterday and the front links rubber split after only about 8 months. They were only a tenner each. How much did you pay toyota for yours? They quoted me £70 each.

I am now considering the twosrus ones at £72.95 the pair.

Incidentally, they said the cause may be the stress they are under due to the angle they are at cos the car is lowered, but it isn't. They said I might need longer or shorter ones, but this thread suggests it doesn't make any difference.

Oh, and I got my front ARB from camskill, and the links with it I couldn't fit because if you put the loop end on the strut then the other end which is just straight threaded bar, just points down at the floor. Looks like it needs a right angle in it to go through the bar, but as they didn't have the ball joint I just assumed it wouldn't work so left them off and got the ebay ones. So I would be interested to know how people got them fitted or if I got the wrong links in my kit. There were no instructions showing how the WLR links should be fitted.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I paid £44 each two years ago from Mr T. I cant remember how much the fronts were, probably around £70 each.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just a techy point to note, if you lower the car you want longer links, not shorter ones to keep the angle of the ARB the same as it was before the lowering.

The angle can be important, i have seen an ARB totally invert itself when the links were too short and the car went over a kerb.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

does the mk2 turbo front arb fit the mk1 without any modifications?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Never tried to be honest, the Mk1 front ARB is pretty thick to start with.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

sorry i meant the rear anti roll bar
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It will fit straight onto a Mk1b with no mods, a Mk1a will need its mounting position moving rearward by 2".
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

On the subject of MK1a rear anti-roll bars Paul, what options do I have for beefing up my MK1a rear anti-roll bar with out the expense of a Whiteline one? ie is there anything out there that will fit without any, or very little, modification?

I've had a full koni + spring kit installed, 25mm drop approx, and I'm not happy with the rear of my car. The front feels great but the rear rolls excessively under cornering to the point where I'm getting body roll oversteer coming from the rear. Also, at motorway speeds, if I change direction quickly in a lane change or just weave the car quickly left and right, the rear of the car feels like it's on a water bed. Rocking one way and then the next and taking a few more rocks to settle out - very disconcerting and feels unstable and high speed slip road blats. It feels like the rear is under sprung, ie too soft, but I'm wondering if I should beef up my rear anti roll bar instead?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Beefing the rear ARB is one of the best mods you can do we have found.

A mk2 Turbo ARB will fit on the rear of a Mk1 if you do the following.

1. Use the current rearmost mounting hole as the new front bracket mounting hole.
2. Drill a new rear hole in the correct position (this effectively moves the ARB into the Mk1b position.
3. Cut open a small access flap in the top of the chassis leg inside the boot directly over the new hole.
4. Weld a nut captive inside the chassis.
5. Weld and seam seal the access flap back over.

Don't feel bad about cutting into the top of the chassis rail, Toyota already have two such access panels already in the boot, but they are covered in soundproofing type tar, these are there for exactly the same purpose.

EDIT: you need to use Mk1 FRONT ARB brackets on the rear with this mod and 19mm bushes.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”