I want new suspension

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jb007

I want new suspension

Post by jb007 »

Im after new shocks and springs (must lower car upto 40mm), whats the cheapest I can get this all for? brand wise and quality? The koni kit which includes shocks and springs is 500 odd, can it be done cheaper? I dont need adjustable shocks but as long as they are good quality brands i dont mind.

Just need to keep costs down to a minimum.

Any help appreciated, jonathan
WeirdNeville

Re: I want new suspension

Post by WeirdNeville »

You won't be disappointed with the koni set up - I think if you go cheaper you may regret it. That said, hunt for bargains, I got my Koni kit brand new but second hand with a set of spare struts for £400.
Consider also another £150 polybush kit and new ball joints, IMO no point doing one without the other.
Do the work yourself (it's not that hard!) and you caould do the whole lot for about £600 I reckon.
Paul in the Port

Post by Paul in the Port »

I'm doing exactly the same at the moment - got my poly bush kit from SBits ready to fit now. I got the aftermarket rear tie arms off Peter as the spherical bearings on my car are worn so just ordered all the parts together. I am replacing all bolts that are removed with the poly's so factoring in the cost of this as well

I looked into it and recon the Koni kit is the better choice too. Costs a couple of hundred more but think it'll be money well spent really. I do intend fitting a V6 at some stage mind so this came in to my thinking with the Koni kit.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I would only recommend koni if you plan to use the car on the street aswell. Ive done bushes, ball joints, koni's and -30mm springs and it makes the mk1 handle great.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Right thanks all, made my mind up, getting the full koni kit and bits and bobs. Fitting is a saver tho, got a mechanic friend so all sorted once i get the dough!

Is it easy adjusting the shocks and quick?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I got my koni kit for £400 through imoc on a group buy, if you suggest it and others are interested you may be able to get a discount. I changed my front and rear ball joints, track rods, rear arms the lot when I had mine done.

I am going to get uprated front and rear anti-roll bars at the end of the month and buy the superflex polybush kit as well just to stiffen it up even more :)
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

The koni kit uses knobs to adjust the shocks from the top....

Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

There's a set of Koni shocks and springs on the mk1 club site for £400....

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtop ... =58&t=5428

(I don't know the guy, just trying to help)

HTH

Stuart

edit - Guessing you've already seen them as you've already replied on that thread #-o
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I have KYB shocks and fensport -15mm springs on my 1.5 along with a mixture of TRD and polybushes. The suspension is firm but fair. I managed to get the KYBs and springs second hand but never fitted for £250 IIRC
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Remember to factor in costs for wheel alignment at a decent garage also as castor and camber will be off. If you're getting the struts out, probably a good idea to do the top mounts as well, although I think most last ages it saves a big job further down the line.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

IanClements wrote:Remember to factor in costs for wheel alignment at a decent garage also as castor and camber will be off. If you're getting the struts out, probably a good idea to do the top mounts as well, although I think most last ages it saves a big job further down the line.
THey're an extra £200 to replace though. When I did mine I just inspected them and then cleaned them up and hammerited them to keep corrosion at bay.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

THey're an extra £200 to replace though. When I did mine I just inspected them and then cleaned them up and hammerited them to keep corrosion at bay

Fair comment, that's what I did on mine tbh. It's just that if you have to replace a mount 12 months down the line the whole lot's got to come out again unlike ball joints which can be done when they fail.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Morning all. Right all sorted, got these: http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forum/viewtop ... =58&t=5428

Offered him £400 including delivery. Pretty good deal? Will see what the mounts etc are like when we fit them and take it from there.

Otherwise, how excited should I be for the transformed handling? Had 3 mk1s but only ever with standard suspension. How hard is the ride on the stiffest settings? Cant wait to try this, and the 30mm drop is a pure bonus, will look 10x better without those 4x4 standard springs!!

\:D/ Jon
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I wouldnt recommend full stiff, try it out but with our roads its a very harsh ride and every pot hole sounds like your doing damage.

It will completly transform the car, i did my car in stages, poly bushes first, then the koni kit. The car just got better and better, its like a go kart now and very flat through corners.

ps. For that extra racing car feel go for a short shift and smaller steering wheel (330-350mm).
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I didnt replace my top mounts, just everything else. Couldn't afford the £44 each from Toyota at the time as well as everything else :(

Yeah Unleash is right don't go for full stiff straight away its quite uncomfortable, but fiddle with the settings until you're happy with the feel.

Unleash - Did you get the whole polybush kit? I was looking at doing it to mine to stiffen it up as it feels a bit sloppy.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I got the sbits kit which i know 1 or 2 people dont rate but i havent had any problems. Its slightly different to the kit fensport supply, apart from being cheaper it has a steering rack bush but doesnt come with the rear anti roll bar bushes but these can be brought seperate.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Ah, I was going to buy Whiteline uprated front and rear anti roll bars as well.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Ah, I was going to buy Whiteline uprated front and rear anti roll bars as well.

Dont forget the Mk2 turbo rear ARB is a cheaper alternative..

I have a whiteline rear ARB, it's a nice bit of kit. I fitted it at the same time as my bush kit though which I regret, it would have been nice to test the difference.

Also, one of my front top mounts is failing badly at the moment.. I really must get that changed.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:I have a whiteline rear ARB, it's a nice bit of kit. I fitted it at the same time as my bush kit though which I regret, it would have been nice to test the difference.

Swap it for a stock one Ollie, I'm sure you'll have one lying about. :wink: :lol:

I almost crashed the car after fitting the ARB on my Mk1, made a huge difference to the turn in. :lol:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but is the mk2 arb a direct fit?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”