Oil subjecture..Oils & filters

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobbyh

Oil subjecture..Oils & filters

Post by bobbyh »

i know from other cars i've owned and their related forums, this can be a minefield..

this is an interesting piece from Bill Sherwood's Auzzie site:

Oils & filters
The oil you use in the 4AGE will also affect its performance, though you won't really notice much difference on the road. The only oil you should use is a full synthetic, such as Mobil One 10W-50 or the like. If you're in a country where the temperature isn't too high and you want that last little bit out of the engine, then I recommend Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40, which can give you an additional 5hp or so over any mineral oil. The only hassle with that oil is that it gets very 'thin' when hot, so it must be kept to a reasonable temperature by using an oil cooler, or if in a road car by not running flat out all the time. (give the engine a break for 30 mins from running flat out by driving slowly)
To give you an example how much difference they can make, I used to use a synthetic oil for regular driving, but when I ran my car in an event at a race track I decided to run a good racing mineral oil (another really dumb thing I've done ...) and much to my surprise it wouldn't start on the morning of the race day, because it wouldn't spin over over fast enough. Luckily I had parked it on a hill and so I could roll start the car.
Note that part of that problem was that my starter motor was a little tired, but this is typical of aging 4AGE starters anyway.
The standard Toyota oil filter is excellent, and they are (AFAIK) the same unit used by TRD for racing. If you feel that you need a larger filter, the one used on the UZ series of engines also fits and has about 48% more volume.

-do people on here agree, of have foung noticable performance gains with the thin synthetic oil? seems a nice cheap way to squeeze a bit..

cheers
Polypedates

Re: Oil subjecture..Oils & filters

Post by Polypedates »

He seems to be advocating an unsuitable oil and then 'driving around' the problems it causes! :thumbdown:

Unless you're running a modified and stressed engine standard 10w 40 semi synth is perfectly adequate IMO. I run Castrol GTX in all my cars, even the revtastic Type R, and all have run sweet as a nut for years.

I'd suggest regular oil changes are far more important than using an expensive fully synthetic oil.

IMHO :)
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Also, Australia has a very different climate meaning different oils may be more appropriate.
Stick with manufacturers recommendations IMO.
Can't go wrong with Castrol 10W40 Magnatec for every day use.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I have run mine on whatever oil was the cheapest, including Tesco own brand, it never seems to have made a difference.

There are so many different factors to take into account as well, quality of fuel can diminish power so easily.

Stick with standard 10w40 and chill.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Tiamat wrote:I have run mine on whatever oil was the cheapest, including Tesco own brand, it never seems to have made a difference.

There are so many different factors to take into account as well, quality of fuel can diminish power so easily.

Stick with standard 10w40 and chill.

Agreed :thumleft: , also remember the first number ie 10w in 10w40 is the weight (viscosity) of the oil when cold, this number is irrelevant when the engine is hot so when he talks about reducing that to a 0w oil for a performance gain that is a mystery to me....

Like Malcolm i've had everything from cheap brand mineral oil to Royal Purple in my cars, it makes no noticeable difference.
AdrianS

Post by AdrianS »

WeirdNeville wrote:Also, Australia has a very different climate meaning different oils may be more appropriate.
Stick with manufacturers recommendations IMO.
Can't go wrong with Castrol 10W40 Magnatec for every day use.

Penrite (an Australian company) recommends their semi-synth 10w50 as first choice for the Blacktop I'm running, with a 5w40 as 2nd choice.
Penrite is a popular choice in the rally community, and we have used it in many competition vehicles over the years.
I'll be running with the 10w50, as it can get crazy hot here in summer : I've been stuck in gridlock traffic, no airflow, with air temp over 45C in the shade. Engine bay fan running most of the time.
I've also seen those temperatures at the hillclimb track.
I figure until I get an oil temp guage fitted, I'll err on the side of higher viscosity, and live with the theoretically slightly lower power.

That said, Toyota engine dyno testing proved that full-synth xw30 gives a few more kW at the top end - I was there when they did the tests, but can't remember the exact power difference.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”