[FINALIZED] 1994 Rev 3 GTS t-bar for sale - £1,750

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ian Geary

1994 Rev 3 GTS t-bar for sale - £1,750

Post by Ian Geary »

For sale is my 1994 Rev 3 GTS turbo T-bar

*update* the world cup seems to have slowed down interest in my 2. If anyone is interested in a viewing or test drive, I'm on holiday now and won't be back until 9th July. Note: that's not an invitation to come round and nick it!

Steel Mist Grey
94,500 miles,
12 months tax & MOT (now 11)
Cobra Cat 1 alarm
Only mods are HKS filter & BOV, de-cat pipe and blue flame exhaust
New tyres
Asking price £2,250 less £500 for the dent, so £1,750

I’ve enjoyed owning it, but I just don’t use it since getting my motorbike, and new family arrangements mean I’ll need something bigger soon.

History

It was imported in Feb 2004, with 67,900 km on the clock – which is 42,000 miles. So whilst the clock is showing 94,500 now, I reckon its nearer 69,000 miles as it was switched to reading in miles when imported.

I bought it in Nov 2004 privately

Engine

After buying it, I realised it was broken! Piston 3 had cracked, resulting in 0 compression and eventually massive oil loss and breakdown.

I took the engine out at around 70,000, and did the following:

- re-hone of bores (as no damage) fitted new Toyota oe pistons and rings as well as new bottom end (this was all done by Midland engineering)
- New blueprint cam belt
- New oil pump, water pump and coolant
- New turbo seals and new impeller wheel on the CT20b (by Turbo Technics)
- Refurbished alternator
- New blueflame exhaust
- Car already had HKS air filter and blow off valve
- I didn’t touch the head, as this was OK

After running in, it was recorded at 248bhp at Street Racers, (Leics) in Nov 2005.

In 2006 I fitted a xxxx de-cat pipe as well, and with a bit of ignition advance, it was measured at 278bhp at Perfect Touch (Herts) in Sept 2006. They could hear a bit of detonation though, so I backed it back to standard, which probably reduced the power. Peak torque was 250ft-lb.

Gearbox

The car has an LSD. At 84,000 (July 2007) a new clutch was fitted by 3S services, which is a RPS street max 6 puk clutch. It’s pretty fierce to be honest, as the spring is very strong, but does the job. The gear change is a bit notchy however.

I replaced gearbox oil with mobil synthetic 75w90 in 2008. I also replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder seals in 2006 (after failure) and replaced clutch fluid with Dot 4 stuff.

Suspension

Car came with tired black billies and -40mm lowered springs.
I put on Koni adjustable all round, using rev1 rebuildable struts. After a few weeks I swapped the red koni springs for the rev 1 springs that came with the struts, as they’re more suited to dodgy roods. They’re a bit bouncy now though, but the virtually new Koni springs will come with the car, as will the Japanese -40mm springs (if you fancy some time off work for back pain)

In the time I’ve had the car, I’ve replaced
- All 4 ball joints (front S Bits, rear ebay)
- Drop links all round x 2– various, including S bits, and eBay ones from other cars
- Front top mounts

Brakes

The rev 3 brakes work well to be honest (no ABS or TC). When I first had it, I put on new handbrake cables and rear pads, which sorted the poor handbrake. I’ve also fitted
- Goodridge stainless steel hose
- New front discs with pagid fast road pads in 2008
- have just replaced brake fluid with new Dot 4

Wheels and tyres

Standard rev3 wheels – with Toyo T1-R all round. Front tyres have done 4,000 miles, but rears are brand new this week.

Service items

- There is no service history as such, just my receipts. I’ve replaced the oil every year or 6,000 miles whichever sooner, usually with Fuchs Titan 10w-40 semi synthetic.
- New plugs every year as well – NGK BKR6E or BKR7E
- It’s had new Toyota HT leads and distributor cap since I’ve had it, as well as a fuel filter
- I do compression checks every year too –I will hunt down my records, but they were all strong and within 3 or 4 psi of each other when I checked over winter
- This weekend I re-gassed the aircon with Halfords kit, along with free anti fungal clean! Which restored it to being cold rather than just ambient.

To be honest, it will be quicker to list the parts of the car I’ve not touched:

- Radiator and heating
- Steering rack
- Cylinder head and valves
- Gearbox internals
- Fuel pump and tank etc.

Body work

This is not so good. Whilst there is zero rust or rot that I know about, the paint has suffered a lot of road rash from resurfacing, as well as just scratches and dings by myself when rebuilding the engine.

Update I do now know about some rust :( on the bottom of the driver's door. Pictures have been added in the latest thread (22nd July). Its fairly obvious it has been caused by the rubber door seal holding water against the door. I should have caught it earlier to be honest.

The car also has a dent behind the driver’s door, which someone kindly left for me in a car park. It’s purely cosmetic, which is why I’ve not fixed it, but have had an estimate of £500 from a local body shop to fix it. I’ve adjusted for this in the price.

Interior

Cloth trim is in good condition. All electrics work, and it’s fitted with turbo timer and auto gauge manual boost gauge. I have instructions for the Cobra alarm, and it’s certified as Cat 1.

I fitted a JVC CD-MP3 player, along with 400w JBL GT4 four channel amp in frunk, Infinity Kappa 60.5cs components and a 6” Elemental Design sub behind the driver’s seat. I do have the frunk plastics if wanted.

So, there it is. It’s also going on piston heads, but I’m in no hurry to sell.

Pm me for more details (if that’s possible) or e-mail [email protected] as the e-mail on IMOC is way out of date

Ian

TB Decat pipe

Front tyre

Rear tyre

Last edited by Ian Geary on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Andy_Foz

Re: [FINALIZED] 1994 Rev 3 GTS t-bar for sale - £1,750

Post by Andy_Foz »

Emailed! 8)

Andy
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

:shock:

Rev 3 tubby for £1700? How depressing.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

It has got a F'off big dent in the rear quarter panell though :lol:
Last edited by Razor04 on Sun May 16, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

smaller and less paint damage than my rev1 has tbh
michael17

Post by michael17 »

emailed very interested cash waiting collection available at your earliest convenice
Andy_Foz

Post by Andy_Foz »

Back off you vultures! I saw her first! Lol

Andy
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Morning guys

thanks for the interest! I'm taking messages in turn.

The £1,750 is after taking account of that dent, so £2,250 is more where I would have pitched it

I don't feel the car owes me any more than this. It's by no means a showroom condition MR2 like the ones going for £4k or £5k

Of course, if someone wants to pay me more, I'm not going to argue :lol:

Ian
michael17

Post by michael17 »

hi i see there is a bit of interest in the car but could take the car away tonight so ring me if you are interested and we can talk about a price as i have cash waiting. 07754855991 i can answewr anytime today. cheers mike
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

heat up the dent with a hairdryer, and spray the compressed c02 onto it...

like this > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVWPzO_swY
cdti

Post by cdti »

ToyotaTosh wrote:heat up the dent with a hairdryer, and spray the compressed c02 onto it...

doesn't work
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

Razor04 wrote:It has got a F'off big dent in the rear quarter panell though :lol:

Yeah but still, i work in the trade as you know so nothing a few hours work wouldn't fix.

Still stupidly cheap. Considering you couldnt find one for less than £3k less than 2 years ago.
Andy_Foz

Post by Andy_Foz »

I really fancied this car and was the first to show an interest and was willing to come and pick it up any night this week, but some ar$e has gazumped me. :roll:

Cant blame Ian for wanting to accept a better offer (seems like a top guy!), but I dont want to get into a bidding war, so its as good as whoever offered more for it.

Hope you enjoy it. :cry:

Andy
michael17

Post by michael17 »

My search for a mr2 rev 3 turbo continue's!! Nevermind
benni

Post by benni »

sold???
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

cdti wrote:
ToyotaTosh wrote:heat up the dent with a hairdryer, and spray the compressed c02 onto it...

doesn't work

have you tried it?
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

quick update

It's still for sale.

I got the MOT last week - no advisories.

However, a test ride today flagged up a bit more engine movement than perhaps is typical.

I'd got used to this over time, but I'm going to have a look at it (I suspect tired front and rear engine mounts)

Ian
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Update:

I've now sorted the issues, after waiting ages for parts.

I'll contact everyone who has been trying to get in touch with me. Given the world cup is here, and I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks, I do genuinely want to get the car sold.

So it goes to the first person who turns up with the money (assumming they like it!)

The engine movement was down to 2 things:

- torque mount rubbers were worn
- the front gearbox threads holding the bracket in place were also tired

this was resulting in both rocking, as well as the front engine mount bracket coming loose. As these bolts hold the clutch slave in place, this was making the gear change notchy.

What I've done is:

- re-pack front and rear mounts with a 2 part polyurethane mixing kit (google DIY engine mounts). This firmed them up massively, and the centre bolt hole is now really fixed.

- strengthen the gearbox threads with a recoil kit (like a helicoil) This sounds major, but was actaully really simple (once I got the parts and tools). It involved drilling the M10 bolt out from 10mm to 10.3mm, taping a different thread, then winding in an insert. This insert then accepts an M10 normal pitch bolt. Job done.

The outcome is a much smoother gear change, no kicking back of the stick when lifting off from acceleration, and no judder from the engine when turning it off.

I'm going to make a how-to on this in mechanical, but here's a couple of pics of the refurbed engine mounts just so people are clear what they're buying.

Ian

Rear

Front
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

well I'm back from holiday now

I'm quite surprised the inital interest in this (over 12 or so people) seems to have gone, so I'll try ebay next

Ian
jaconcept

Post by jaconcept »

=> PM

Return to “MR2s for Sale”