upgrading my alarm system

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ms Croft

upgrading my alarm system

Post by Ms Croft »

well ive got a standard toyota alarm on the MR2 with the immobiliser key etc etc..

but im wanting an alarm upgrade. i was considering a TOAD alarm but one of my friends say that if anything goes wrong with it TOAD arent very helpful in supplying you with the parts that need replacing and i will end up having to replace the whole thing! [-(

so ive been told to look at clifford alarms.. perhaps the clifford 650 with dual zone something er other? fully installed ive been given a quote for £480.

what do people suggest?! :-k

any comments..? thanks :D
shawnpurple

Re: upgrading my alarm system

Post by shawnpurple »

I had a clifford 650 for my old 205 mi16 and it was an excellant alarm however i think i paid about £350 for fitting so £480 seems a little high i would shop around a bit
Jeffmaniac

Post by Jeffmaniac »

Working as a car insurance motor theft investigator I can tell you now that very very few mr2's get stolen as the standard alarm is very good. Its only worth doing if you have something valuable such as ice or severe mods to the car.

The car cant be started without the key as its immobiliser is rolling code and the alarm was built especially for the car.

If your worried about being towed away get a tracker system that alerts tracker when the car moves without the keys or an antijacking immobiliser that senses that the car has been upflifted.

If you have valuables in the car get one of those new alarms that texts your phone if someone breaks in. Just remember that no one pays attention to alarms going off these days! :-#
Ms Croft

Post by Ms Croft »

thats true, i really wanted a perimeter sensor put on it, as i sometimes have to park the car on the road and i get kids walking round it all the time and if i had a perimeter sensor it might put them off!

and yeh i did think 480 was expensive, im going to get afew more prices before i decide what im doing. :)
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I've got a Toad on my tubby, and it's utter pants. Slight damness or rain, and the remote stops locking the doors...then the alarm keeps going off. Couple this with a Nur Spec exhaust, and I'm 'Mr Popular' with my neighbours at the moment.

My next major mod for the car will be a Clifford system. When fitted, I'm going to set light to the Toad system and dance naked round it. Maybe. :D
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Ms Croft »

PMSL @ Nige!! :lol:

yeh dude, im guna get the Clifford 650 i reckon, and splash out abit and have the self shutting window gadget added \:D/
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I had nothing but trouble with a Clifford concept on my old GT4, damn thing kept locking itself with the keys in lol. Ah, how i can laugh at it now...

Anyway, I've had two MR2, both with Autowatch alarm/Immobilisers on them and they've been troublefree (fingers crossed), and only £250 incl fitting.

Return to “ICE and Security”