Mapping - what a hard day!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cantfindausername

Mapping - what a hard day!

Post by cantfindausername »

I took my car back up to my tuner yesterday to have the new boost solenoid mapped in. I really didn't realise just how tricky, what I thought was a small change could be.

We got the car onto the rollers around 10am to get the initial set up done, and then made it out onto the road around 1130. It was interesting to see a technique called boost checking being used. This involves left foot braking enough to hold the cars acceleration while still accelerating to build the boost. I didn't try it as my left foot braking leaves a lot to be desired!

The mapping took the rest of the day and night as we were suffering from over boost quite regularly. Very small changes seemed to make massive differences. My target boost was 1.6bar and I think we've got it (I'm so tired I can't really remember). We ended up calling it a day at just before 11pm due to a blowing manifold and my need to drive 3 hrs home. The car running well and pulling well, just a little noisey from the manifold which I guess is now the next thing on the to-do list.

I've never seen my manifold and turbo glow before, but there was nearly no end to it yesterday!! Got a few pics that I'll post up later.

I think the main thing I was surprised with is my increased confidence in the engine. I built it myself and with it being my first attempt at such a thing I occasionally suffer from a little doubt to its abilities. But I'm quite frankly amazed that it took it all in its stride. A 400 mile round trip plus the 40 something outings to try the boost levels. Each of these was 3 or 4 hard pulls through 1st/2nd/3rd/4th gears. We got through over 1 tank of BP Ultimate doing this alone!

I'm pretty pleased to have the car running well again and at more than actuator pressure. This yeah I WILL make it to Santa Pod to finally see what my car can do since the project started in Jan 2005.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Mapping - what a hard day!

Post by Martin F »

Sounds like a fairly happy ending mate, does it feel quicker than it did when you were running 450 ish bhp ?
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

Good work :thumleft: dyno time is about as hard as the engine will work so you can drive with confidence.
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
cantfindausername

From what I can remember it does, but that was some time ago and I've possibly aclimatised to the actuator pressure. We also finally got the rev counter working so to see that whizzing round it nice. It doesn't hang about put it that way. Will do a vid of a pull soon too.

Just remembered too... I blew a hole clean through a silicone pipe. The first one from the Turbo, so it gets pretty hot. We repaired it with Duck tape and Heat reflective tape lol. Held up pretty well, saw a few 2bar over boosts :lol:

Managed to hold out till the guys at JS Performance could bake me a new one. We went and picked up up fresh from the oven 8)

Pipe is nice, would defo recommend them! :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
cantfindausername

3S Service Centre wrote:Good work :thumleft: dyno time is about as hard as the engine will work so you can drive with confidence.

I was physically shaking when it was on there. I've doubt I've even given it 10% compared to the punishment it got yesterday.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

It must be flyin at 1.6 bar :twisted: :thumleft:
cantfindausername

Doesn't hang about put it that way :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
ashley

Post by ashley »

Awesome news buddy :clap:
cantfindausername

Little vid of the engine during the set up of the boost controller. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mShhQfgTCw
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
cantfindausername

and a couple pics of the manifold...

***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Yas

Post by Yas »

Nice! 8) Any idea what intake temps you were seeing? Glowing manifold must be frying your intercooler pipe :-k
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
cantfindausername

We were seeing around 37'-38' Actual Charge Temp.

The silicone pipe just above the manifold is the one I blew a hole in. The replacement has much better heat layers in it though.

Future plans are to get some Nimbus heat shield material and make one up for the manifold, and then insulate that first pipe in some wrap.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Yas

Post by Yas »

Are you running a set of lid fans? Defo a worthwhile mod pull's a shed load of heat out. With the fans off my intercooler pipes were getting really hot(untouchable) and with them on I could hold the pipe no problem!

Yeah those heatshields look pretty good, got a sheet myself thinking of removing the wrap and shield it instead.
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
cantfindausername

Yeah got 2x10" lid fans and 2x11" I/C fans. All helps :thumleft:

I'm not a fan of wrapping, especially SS manifolds. Have heard it increases your chance of cracking quite a bit.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

haha
sweet!

mine must get pretty similar, tho never seen it
cantfindausername

I'd have like to have got more footage and pics but wasn't really concentrating on that at the time.

Need to get it up to SRR for a power run soon. Will get some more footage and pics then :D
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Yas

Post by Yas »

cantfindausername wrote:
I'm not a fan of wrapping, especially SS manifolds. Have heard it increases your chance of cracking quite a bit.

The very reason i'm considering removing the wrap!

Was that a flash of flames @ 13 secs :twisted:
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
cantfindausername

well spotted!! I hadn't actually noticed that. Was a pretty big one hence why the camera when towards the back of the car to see if anymore were coming.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Looking amazing !! so, does it feel much faster than when you had it at SRR last? as it was fast as foook back then! your running 0.2 bar more now, so possibly seeing near to 500 fwhp?

When do you plan to go SRR ? i have to make a trip up there soon for some tweaks (within the next 5 weeks) having a few extra degrees ign advancing and hopefully getting shot of the ICV, could meet you there possibly?
cantfindausername

Cheers Ryan.

It does feel stupid quick! But its been a long time since i ran it at "full" power due to the problems I had last year so not sure what to expect. Power wise it could be anything. This boost controller seems to struggle to get rid of the boost quick enough so we had to do a lot of work to avoid overboost. Saw some scary figures during the day up there, like 0.4bar to 1.5bar in around 0.4 seconds :shock: to say it comes on strong is an understatement!! Dyno graph could look completley different to the last one.

As for when I get it done, it will probaly wait until the next group day tbh mate. Got my holiday in 2 weeks and thats for 3 weeks so its gonna be a while I reckon. Got to MOT now too.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”