MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Post by ashley »

Has anyone seen any footage from the Super GT races?
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Quigonjay wrote:looks like motors tv will be showing highlights from the whole weekend on thursday 7th april 7.15pm Sky Channel 413, Virgin Media 545

wasnt any mr2's in this show :roll:
think part 2 is about the 19th or there abouts
WillJohnson

Post by WillJohnson »

Quigonjay wrote:
Quigonjay wrote:looks like motors tv will be showing highlights from the whole weekend on thursday 7th april 7.15pm Sky Channel 413, Virgin Media 545

wasnt any mr2's in this show :roll:
think part 2 is about the 19th or there abouts

You obviously blinked at the 2 moments they were shown! easily done!) Please see http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133637 for more detals!

Cheers John #77
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i actually watched the show in those 4 parts on that link in the other thread
just flicked through when i saw each featured race was not mr2 related
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

ashman wrote:Has anyone seen any footage from the Super GT races?

Sorry it took so long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_eVZvxpJM

An explanation of what you're watching... The camera car is an ex-MR2 Championship car fitted with a stock revision 3 turbo engine and gearbox. Performance upgrades are air filter, downpipe, exhaust, ST205 chargecooler and boost turned up to around 17psi. ECU is standard. Suspension is controlled, so all cars are running BC Racing inverted monotube coilovers. Other than that the car is running the same anti-roll bars and poly bushes that were installed for the MR2 Championship. Wheels are an inch wider front and rear, but still have stock sized R888 tyres fitted. Basically, it's what I'd consider to be an entry level Super GT car and it hits the lower class limit of 200bhp / ton with ease. The white car that makes an appearance on my left at the start is of a near identical specification.

The blue roadster in front of me that disappears into the distance has a built 2ZZ engine, bored and stroked to 2.0l, turbocharged, chargecooled and with just about every modification you can think of! Simon has to run the car on it's lowest boost setting to meet the upper class limit of 250bhp / ton.

At around three minutes the video jumps ahead to a tank-slapper at Sear Corner and I'm overtaken by Anthony's car. This is a 2.2l turbo and *far* more capable than it would appear in this video. We identified some issues in testing that would prevent the car from racing, so Anthony is actually just using the track time to gather data. On actuator pressure alone he's easily able to keep up with me and *chooses* to let me past on the Senna straight. Just look how settled his car is around Coram! (oh, and the wonky brake light thing was just down to bulbs - all four had worked earlier in the day!)

You'll also probably note from the video that I'm being very cautious with my braking points and not as committed as I could be through the corners. At the start of the race I've had exactly 15 minutes total seat time in the car, which included a very high speed spin! GT200 class cars reach around 130mph at the end of the Revett Straight (GT250 about 140mph) and in the damp morning qualifying session I'd hit the brakes too hard at this point and instantly spun out. I'd got the measure of the car and regained my confidence by the second race but sadly didn't get any video footage.

Next race at Anglesey should be more of a visual treat as we'll be joined by two 3.5l V6 Roadsters and a 3SGTE Roadster amongst others.
swampy

Post by swampy »

for a fully race lightened car running with spoilers and splitters etc what sort of bhp would be necassary i am guessing approx 300bhp is this about right or am i miles off...
I am giving the series some thought is it possiblr to purchase or hire one of the black boxes for track days to evaluate the cars performance etc and compare lap times to cars in the series???
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Suggest you PM or ring Rogue Motorsport!
System-G

Post by System-G »

Remember timing is sctrictly forbidden on trackdays. You'll need to do a test day to compare laptimes to the cars in a race.

Naturally you could gather data on a trackday to analise only when at home at the end of a day (many try do this with video and/or other gps enabled systems like Racelogic), but if you get seen pulling timing data or reported for timing on a trackday, you won't be very popular with the TDO will will be removed from the circuit and probably banned from future events with the TDO and/or the circuit. Also if you do plan on gathering data regardless of what it is or for, it's worth checking with the TDO beforehand to avoid confusion or difficult scenarios :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

use a video camera for timing purposes :thumleft:
(obviously for viewing when you get home) 8-[
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Two more cars joining the MR2 Super GT series at Anglesey:-

Rowland Woolley's 3SGTE MR2 Roadster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QPKSHvXEYo&NR=1

Simon Aris's 2GRFE MR2 Roadster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsxD9Lt5uO0

:thumleft:
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Is this the same Super GT as the Nippon challenge Super GT, seems to be different regs ?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Different. The MR2 SuperGT is run by the 750mc, the other isn't.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

PaulM wrote:Is this the same Super GT as the Nippon challenge Super GT, seems to be different regs ?

They're two different series entirely (and neither have any affiliation with the Japanese Super GT series!). The MR2 Super GT series is specifically for MR2s running to strict power to weight bandings, whereas the Nippon Challenge has a Super GT class which has no limits other than that the car must be of Japanese origin.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

some brands hatch footage on t'internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmRJZJgI4OU
ashley

Post by ashley »

So I assume Anthony is the only competitor in the 250bhp/tonne class at the moment? His disappears once he passes Rowley :shock:

Gotta say the racing looks VERY close...with the mk2's just pipping it at the moment...I was expecting the mk3's to run away in the handling stakes given even power to weight ratio's...but not really a fair comparison given how few cars there are at this stage :eye:

Very very interesting...it's great to see different spec builds turning out so close- shows there is a LOT of potential for this series :thumleft: :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

not sure about classes but it says in the text on youtube that patrick had no 4th gear so did very well considering
must be a torquey motor as he doesnt sem to loose much drive even with no 4th :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah and I think he's still in a fairly 'basic' spec car as well (I think)...makes you think it's actually quite an approachable series to get into without having to spend huge amounts on huge spec builds...again a very very good thing for the future of the series :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I'm sure Patrick will be along to confirm this, but yes he is running a stock turbo motor, just exhaust and intake. It's looking very competitive! The cars look amazing too...
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

The mk2 turbo that I'm using at the moment is a stop-gap car while my mk3 is being built. It's a former championship car that has been fitted with the control coilover suspension and the drivetrain from a rev 3 turbo car. Performance mods are ST205 Chargecooler, BMC Carbon Dynamics Airbox, Decat, Mongoose Exhaust, AVC-R set to 1 bar. ECU is stock.

Although I started the season with an unopened engine, we swapped this for a forged rebuild ahead of Anglesey purely for reliability reasons. I desperately want to develop the car - wider track and aerodynamics - to make it more competitive but the idea at the moment is to leave it as a blank slate for someone else who wants to enter the Super GT series. Once my mk3 is ready, I'll stick the mk2 up for sale.

The gearbox is out of the car and being rebuilt at the moment. I forgot to mention above that it has a trick plate type LSD in it. ;)
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

sorry, i'm stupid #-o but what do the classes refer to again? :lol:
is it something like a car in the 250 class must not exceed 250hp per ton?
also, do you have any examples of the weight and power that cars are making to be in their respective classes?

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”