[Mk2] [Generic] bc coilovers

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Will_bmx

[Mk2] [Generic] bc coilovers

Post by Will_bmx »

Got my bc.s and been waiting to fit them after a few drop link set backs. Got around to putting the left front on tonight, only to be greeted by more arch gap than on my lowering springs! Wtf! If I preload the xxxx out. of them I can get it about 5mm lower... but I'm not having it set up like that. Am I doing something wrong or do they seriously only GP about 10mm lower than stock when you've got the preload set correctly?
Cheers
Will
Will_bmx

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] bc coilovers

Post by Will_bmx »

*go
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

Not familiar with these specific coilovers but usually you just turn the height adjusting collar with a c spanner to set height? You should get way more than 10mm. Are you just adjusting the damping and not the height?
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

will don't touch the preload! thats the mistake i made when i realised the fronts didnt go down mega low and it doesnt make the car go any lower!

best thing to do is fit the front right coily and once they're both done you'll see em sit lower...
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

If you've wound the preload collar all the way up, all you'll have done is made the spring rate way too high.

There should be a lower collar, by the bracket where the unit attatches to the hub. Back this collar off (upwards) and then rotate the bracket upwards to set the desired ride height.

As vishpish states though, you're better off doing it with all the units installed to get the right ride height.
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

I appreciate you guys helping but I'm not a retard and I am pretty mechanically and logically minded.lol. I wound the lower leg all the way up until it was as at up to the spring seat and it wouldn't go any higher, fitted it like that (that would be the optimal setting as the preload was about 5mm just to take the slack on the spring, and it sits higher than my lowering spring. Then, to see how low it would go, ie making more space to wind the leg up by winding the spring seat up to the top of the available thread (thus preloading the xxxx out of the springs). I then wound the leg up again from there and its still only about the same ride height as my spring the other side, AND that's with a preload you'd never drive with. There's physically no further adjustment :(
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I will show some picture of my BC setup, i assure you they can go low enough my front splitter tells me :lol:

In the mean time here are some pictures of others with BC coilovers. Low enough for you? from MR2OC not sure of you can see them without being a member

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/57/133778.html
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Will_bmx wrote:I appreciate you guys helping but I'm not a retard and I am pretty mechanically and logically minded.lol. I wound the lower leg all the way up until it was as at up to the spring seat and it wouldn't go any higher, fitted it like that (that would be the optimal setting as the preload was about 5mm just to take the slack on the spring, and it sits higher than my lowering spring. Then, to see how low it would go, ie making more space to wind the leg up by winding the spring seat up to the top of the available thread (thus preloading the xxxx out of the springs). I then wound the leg up again from there and its still only about the same ride height as my spring the other side, AND that's with a preload you'd never drive with. There's physically no further adjustment :(

Judging by the pictures I've just seen if you've wound the hub bracket up that far, it should have dropped the car by about 4 inches. If you've then further wound the preload collar up to allow even more movement, maybe as much as 5-6 inches? Either there's something wrong (bottom of the shock hitting someting (maybe the lower arm)) or your "lowering springs" have had a coil cut off of them.
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

Hmm, this is what i mean slarty, it just doesn't maKe sense does it. ? Maybe its since they. changee the lower leg design? The springs I had on were stiff as hell, defo not chopped. I previously had an arch gap of about, I duno Erm, 25mm before this? And it just won't go lower. I'm running a 16x7 wheel with 205 45 on it. The arb isn't even connected and I've moved the car around too just to see if it was the surface, but to no avail :(
I'll contact bc to see if its a. duff mount or something daft. Cheers for the help guys.
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

just for you info guys, this is how it was sitting with the lower leg all the way up and the preload wound up simply to make more space for the lower leg to go up further (not driveable in that manner though due to excessive preload).
BC / Apex are being really helpful about this, although I'm unsure what other solution there could be.
If you lot think this is low then it could just be a opinion thing, but I can tell you that this is not low in my books, this is just "lowered" to a pretty standard amount. I expect fully adjustable suspension to go lower than that.

Slarty

Post by Slarty »

No, you're right, it's not *that* low at all. Hmmm odd though because looking at the bottom photo of the hub/shock it should be way lower than that but everything looks (at least to me) to be ok...

Loving the sawn off drop link though :lol:
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

Woo, makes my point so much easier with pictures haha.

It's actually "bolt cuttered" off haha. (bad english) was fun to do!
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Just an absolute shot in the dark but they're not different front to back are they? I.E. on the wrong end? Don't think you can get them the wrong way but I'm seriously scratching my head here!!
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

that's what BC asked me, however the front droplink mounting face should sit parallel with the hub/wheel mounting face, and the rears sit at 90 degrees to the hub/wheel mounting face, so it's on correctly.
eg-iain

Post by eg-iain »

Hey dude any more pics of the car as a whole to see how low it's sitting?

Thats a shame i would be the same and want lower than this
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

Not yet Iain, however, BC and Apex are being more than helpful (Kev is the gentleman I'm dealing with) and the following is occuring,
Firstly they suggested taking off the two lockrings (one for lower leg and the other for spring seat) as and just put one back under the lower leg to secure it. (this would be about 17-18mm extra drop) bare in mind the picture is with about 15mm extra over what it can really do. So with the lockrings out it should sit "slightly" lower than it is in that pic.
However, the big step is they're sending me some 130mm springs (currently 150mm) complete with shorter dampers to see if this goes low enough. they are 1kg harder so there will be alittle less droop, however this should be low enough :D
Can't explain how helpful and accomodating they've been so far!
Will post pics as soon as have parts etc. (prob around 18th may, or weekend after that date)
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

I feel like shooting myself.
BC have been very helpful and with the setup they have now provided I've been able to slam the front end too (so much so I need to raise it slightly as it's rubbing and I want to be able to drive it hard), which the result I was after.
What I then didn't also expect is after fitting the rear drop links and ARB;'s with no problems, for the fronts to physically have no space to fit to the mounting face on the strut. If it's mounted on the outside it would blatently hit the arch and brake line! and if I mount it on the inside, well, I can't as it would be touching the spring!
What the hell?!
Any ideas other than making a small plate to mount to the drop link bracket with a lower mounting face?
Bry

Post by Bry »

Will_bmx wrote:I feel like shooting myself.
BC have been very helpful and with the setup they have now provided I've been able to slam the front end too (so much so I need to raise it slightly as it's rubbing and I want to be able to drive it hard), which the result I was after.
What I then didn't also expect is after fitting the rear drop links and ARB;'s with no problems, for the fronts to physically have no space to fit to the mounting face on the strut. If it's mounted on the outside it would blatently hit the arch and brake line! and if I mount it on the inside, well, I can't as it would be touching the spring!
What the hell?!
Any ideas other than making a small plate to mount to the drop link bracket with a lower mounting face?

I fitted a set of these to an mr2 recently and they fitted fine. Something is wrong obviously, what I can do is get my mates car and check his coilovers and compare them to yours via pics also I can check part no's etc against yours
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Bry

Post by Bry »

I can see the prob, the adjustable section of the coilover (the part that contains the arb bracket and hub mounting bracket is on upside down, so you either need to swap it over with the other front coilover or just remove it and re fit it up the other way. Ignore the stickers they could have been stuck on by the same muppet that fitted the coilovers together. I'm off to work now so wont be able to reply anymore today but I can see that they are upside down either that or I'm suffering from a serious hangover :lol:
Watch out OZ here I come !!
phipck

Post by phipck »

surely the droplink carrier would be the wrong way up then?

they look to be the correct way round already chap

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/topic.htm ... s&start=42

there are some pics from this page onward

Return to “Modifications”