What is your favourite 'quirky' thing on your MR2?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

foxy-stoat

Re: What is your favourite 'quirky' thing on your MR2?

Post by foxy-stoat »

Jumping into your daily drive and turning the wipers on when your at the junction at the end of the road, thinking they are the indicators.

Letting the GF drive it and going for the indicator stork that isnt there when they want to indicate at said junction.

:lol:
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
fizz

Post by fizz »

Marf wrote:The errr, crotch vent. Keeps your *ahem* manly parts at the optimum temperature all year round :oops:

Gotta be the best feature of the car to be honest. With regards to the indicators being on the correct side that aint really justa mr2 thing so i cant add that one.

As somone said, loads of cubby holes and storage places in the car and love the way in which people get their own method of getting into and out of the 2. Personally on the way in i grab the steering wheel with my left hand with an under grip and us it to steady myself as i plonk into it.

Driving a MR2 with a winter mart over coat is a bloody mission! Use mine as a daily so its a b1tch trying to make sure i dont crease it! :whistle:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

chrisbr68 wrote:The sound of the turbo and the fact it comes from behind you. It is amusing when someone gets in and says whats that funny noise or when people who know a bit more about cars always say they expect that sound to come from the front!

This! :thumleft:
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

lol, several times when I just got my 2, I switched my headlights off several times when indicating, luckily my friends were there to tell me my lights were off. :oops: :lol:
John145

Post by John145 »

Having a K reg car with electric folding wing mirrors.

Love racking up in Sainsburys and some woman gets out their 50k X5 folds in the wing mirrors herself, I pull in push a button, yes, she's jealous.

I love the headlights too, flashing people out of junctions is all of a sudden an event!

Also the way the lads at National Tyres stare at my car as I drive by!

Finally, the way my girlfriend gets in and out so ungracefully lol.
lemonyfresh

Post by lemonyfresh »

THE
WHOLE
PACKAGE! :D

The biggest points for me are:
The way it looks! (like nothing else!)
The pop-up headlights, as they NEVER get boring :P
and lastly, the excitment when you see another one! :oldtongue: its always nice to have a car thats a bit special - my girlfriend just doesnt get why i flash/nod, or get flashed/nodded/waved at by other MR2 drivers....
i always reply "You'd have to have one to understand" :thumleft:
blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

The looks, always the looks.

R.
bazippy

Post by bazippy »

1. pop up head lights and the word turbo on the side!
2.the tiny little glovebox thing on the right of the steering wheel,fits my ipod connection and ipod perfect and no one would ever know its there.
3. when its mucky no one cares, when its clean people stare
4. flare
5. people who dont know cars get confused when you say you own a Mr2 Gt Turbo.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Ah yes.....the crotch vent. Invaluable in the summer, on a hot day, with the air con on!

:thumleft:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

1. the way the bonnet doesnt pop up when i pull the catch, i have to pry it up with my finger tips by the headlights
2. the way i can hear every little noise though the stripped out cabin, so i am constantly fearing mechanical failure
3. the funky alarm system in it that with beep a random number of times when unlocking, but always once when locking
4. its bright yellow so you can see it a mile off
alan7

Post by alan7 »

[quote="lemonyfresh"]

and lastly, the excitment when you see another one!

this also for me :)

especially when i see another kitted 1 lol :thumleft: :thumleft:
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Scott Barton wrote:So...we all love the car. We love the speed, the sound it makes, the general body styling etc etc....but what is your favourite 'quirky' thing on your car?

Is it the way the seat belts retract on an import when the door opens? It could be the pop up headlights?

It's a Toyota. There's nothing quirky about it.

I genuinely can't think of a single odd thing about it.
I... I'm...erm...
If pressed, possibly the steerable fog lights.

I enjoy telling owners of new BMWs that my car had steerable lights nearly 20 years ago.

Also, compared to every other sportscar I've owned, the fact that it isn't a rusty pile of scrap at that age is quite quirky.

The seatbelt retractors annoyed me so much that I took em off at the same time I fitted new speakers in the side-panels.
It's a 2-minute job for anybody who feels the same. ;)

Oh, wait. I got a better one.
I found a handful of japanese shrapnel in that little "hidden compartment" under the fog-light switches.
Not bad considering the car had been through 2 other owners since being imported.
That compartment is kinda quirky.
C50

Post by C50 »

Scott Barton wrote:I will have to say my favourite is the side the indicator/headlight stalk is on. It means i can indicate and flash cars without having to move my hand off the gearstick! :lol:

All RHD cars should be like this. It makes perfect sense :thumleft:

i keep switching on the wipers on my 944 :?
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

C50 wrote:
Scott Barton wrote:I will have to say my favourite is the side the indicator/headlight stalk is on. It means i can indicate and flash cars without having to move my hand off the gearstick! :lol:

I always thought the opposite was true.

If the indicator is on the left stalk you can operate it with the same hand you change gear with and leave your right hand on the wheel at all times.

With the indicator on the right stalk it means, potentially, that both hands have to do something other than steer.

Makes more sense on an LHD car, where the gear stick is to the drivers right, IMO.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

mine isnt a daily driver so i doubt ill ever get used to the stalks being swapped over, so i guess ill look like a tit in every car i drive now by turning lights off, indicating and operating the wipers when i dont need them.

my best thing is the noise of a v6, not quirky but quite rare from an MR2
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Si_Crewe wrote:
C50 wrote:

If the indicator is on the left stalk you can operate it with the same hand you change gear with and leave your right hand on the wheel at all times.

With the indicator on the right stalk it means, potentially, that both hands have to do something other than steer.

Makes more sense on an LHD car, where the gear stick is to the drivers right, IMO.

Car manufacturers clearly don't think so - they are usually on the left due to European car manufacturers (or international car manufacturers aiming for the European market) saving money by using the same switchgear for LHD and RHD cars as the majority of them will be LHD. Cars that are built from the ground up for RHD markets far more often have them round the same way as the MR2, but we see so little of those cars here in the UK that we see it as the 'wrong way round' when we drive a car with the correct switchgear for RHD.

IMO ;)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

toxo wrote:
Si_Crewe wrote:
C50 wrote:

Car manufacturers clearly don't think so - they are usually on the left due to European car manufacturers (or international car manufacturers aiming for the European market) saving money by using the same switchgear for LHD and RHD cars as the majority of them will be LHD. Cars that are built from the ground up for RHD markets far more often have them round the same way as the MR2, but we see so little of those cars here in the UK that we see it as the 'wrong way round' when we drive a car with the correct switchgear for RHD.

IMO ;)

^^^ what he said ^^^
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Guess it'just lucky for me then.

Like I say, it seems safer to have the controls configured in such a way that means one hand remains on the wheel while the other takes care of gears and indicators.
John145

Post by John145 »

Don't have to take your hand off the steering wheel to flick the indicators! Unless you have really small fingers....? :-k
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

John145 wrote:Don't have to take your hand off the steering wheel to flick the indicators! Unless you have really small fingers....? :-k

True enough, most of the time. :)

Just seems like if I'm gonna have to take my hand off the wheel to change gear it's safer to use the same hand to operate the indicator.

Moving on, as somebody else said, I think the major "quirk" about the MR2 is that it's mid-engined.
Sure, a lot of modern hot-hatches can outrun an MR2 these days but, when it comes down to it, the MR2 is always gonna be a mid-engined car and that makes it something special IMO.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”