[All] [Generic] nissan q45 throttle body

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bolton

[All] [Generic] nissan q45 throttle body

Post by bolton »

hi all using a q45 throttle body (90mm!!) on my rmr inlet manifold!
now it has a warm up cycle rotor! can i remove this as i dont think my mr2 need it??
it basically uses coolent temp to activate a valve that pushes a secondary rotor closed as the engine warms up, basically allowing the engine to warm up quicker (copy and pasted lol!)
here are some pics of it!!

removing it would not effect the throttle body movement!! i would also grind excess metal away so it looks cleaner!! lol!

also how do you connect the tps up?? can i use standard management for now until i get my rebuild done with a power fc??
cheers people!!
john
RyanRs

Re: [All] [Generic] nissan q45 throttle body

Post by RyanRs »

yes mate, get rid of it! i dont have any of that on my q45, dont even have the progressive throttle mechenism (sp?) on mine, just a pully, throttle stop screw tps and a throttle cable :D

search for supra q45 tps wiring on google, the mr2 is the same.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Any pics mate?
Can i run on standard management for now?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

ill try and get a pic, dont have internet at the moment so i been using my phone. the nissan TPS will not work with the stock ecu, iirc the voltages are different and it works in reverse. you can leave it disconnected but dont go giving the car welly as the ecu needs a tps signal for throttle enrichment!
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

I have just ordered one of these to use the stock Toyota TPS as I didn't want to splice wires and have the install look a little more stock.

http://www.beechperformance.com/html/to ... ducts.html

I'll pop some pictures up when it comes..

I will also be fitting this then running the car in before final mapping. I spoke to Ryan at 2Bar who suggest this should be fine as long as you don't use boost, however some people on this board recommend boost for running in.

I think I will air on the side of caution and get Ryan to put a map on the car for running in and then a proper map on the rollers when the engine is run in and ready for a bit of power.

An expensive way of doing it maybe, but after spending what I have already spent I don't want to get this final phase wrong.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Ok cool so if i brought one of those i could run on stock tps and ecu?
Cheers
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

If you bought one of those you could use the stock TPS and the stock ECU would understand the stock TPS.

But what I understand is there is a larger volume of air entering the engine and this is where an EMS would come into play..

**Anyone feel free to correct me I'm treading new ground myself here**
bolton

Post by bolton »

ok mate sound i think i will order one of those too! Its jus so i can get the manifold and boot mount set up before my rebuild!
Yeah a stand alone ecu would defently help make use of the extra flow!
Cheers
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

the q45 TPS doesnt work in reverse??? it works fine mine worked on standard power fc base map, i just adjusted the tps for idle and open throttle roughly by twistin the tps position, then when ryan mapped car any airflow issues must have been sorted out on the map. here is the wire splicing i used, just check which wires r which in BGB supra is same as mr2 wiring
(colour of wires may be different.)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... p?t=321855
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

hey all i noticed on the bottom of the standard throttle body there three metal pipes coming off the bottom, coolant flow and return i think?, and idle valve control or sumthing?, as the 90mm throttle bodie i bought off andyF doosnt have theses i was wondering what i have to do, do i connect the two coolant hoses togetha? and what do i do for the idle valve control? any info on how this might be done would be a great help :thumleft:

standard TB with metal pipes located at the top of the picture

aftermarket TB without metal pipes

stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

you can connect the coolant pipes or just block them off, i think i just blocked mine off, was easier.

for my ICV i made a small flat ally plate to mount the icv to and drilled and tapped the rear of it where the valve is, to fit a bspt hose tail.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

thanks for the info ryan could you take any pics so i can get get a better idea of what is involved :thumleft:

RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

there you go pal.

However, when i see ryan next im gona see if he can remove the ICV completely as its now become unwanted clutter lol.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

i see thanks dude , if it becomes unwanted i would gladly take it off your hands :mrgreen:

Andy F

Post by Andy F »

You really dont need the idel up valve Gav..or i would have had it fitted
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

hey andy hows things, i here chris has a nice new motor parked up at yours :D bet you were tempted to take her out :lol: , thanks for the plugs received them today, what do i have to do to do away with the icv?

Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Hey up Gav, yer had a tootle in his GTR 8)

With the motec , the mapper just makes it idel nice, its only for AC really.
But not sure with PFC if it will throw up a error code, or what ever it does.

This is the problem with these plug and play type ecu's. you can't sway too
far from stock sensors ect

im sure ryan will have a answer

BTW Gav does tim think i ran 1.3bar....seroiusly?
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

bet you loved it dude, wished i lived up your way to pop over and see you two for chats and that would love to see the liner in the flesh, lol i dont think he thort you were running 1.3bar, he just said that if the standard spring is still in the tial waste gate i bought off you it would only let you run 1.3bar max, im going to strip it down and look at the spring as luckily there all colour coded so i no wich one to use, i just have to be carefull when running it in not to run more than stock boost when just running it off the wastegate spring pressure, i took sum intresting pics of the inconal wrc manifold compaired to the stock the diffrences are supprising big, also i noticed the stud pattern are slightly diffrent, did it come off there corrola or celica :-k irl post sum pics up if you want buddy might also be to sum interest to others 8) i polished the exhaust and wastegate gate and heatshield and cleaned the blower rite up nice and bling bling now :lol:

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

the diffrences on the standard mani compaired to the wrc inconal are supprising, the turbo seems to be in a slight diffrent position, and the runners are much larger and twisted

ready to bolt on :mrgreen:

Return to “Modifications”