Buying a cheap MR2 mk2 (turbo?)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dave1814

Buying a cheap MR2 mk2 (turbo?)

Post by dave1814 »

Hi guys, im a newbie on MR2's (used to own a celica).

Im thinking of taking a punt on buying a cheap MR2 (as a second car), just wondered what you guys thought, should I stick with N/A or go for a turbo (which i would REALLY like) but as I understand it - more to go wrong?

Is there anything to look for particularly on a turbo, the one im thinking of looking at has a lot of service history but 100k on the clock (1991)? And from what ive been reading, a lot of these engines have been rebuilt!?

any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks!
Dave
bluesmoke

Re: Buying a cheap MR2 mk2 (turbo?)

Post by bluesmoke »

Rebuilt? I wouldn't say that many have been rebuilt, not in the grand scheme of things.

I did exactly what you are thinking about. Sold my Rev 2 Turbo and bought a cheap Rev 3. I am now putting right the issues it has. The worst part though, is finding issues you didn't anticipate.

For me it's finding out my rear brakes are cream crackered and having to now replace them and deciding to upgrade the brake hoses and refurb the fronts while I am at it!

Just buy with your head, not your heart, and understand that if it's cheap, there WILL be issues, unless you are extremely lucky!
dave1814

Post by dave1814 »

ah ok, so rather its just the things that could go wrong with it being a cheap car, not just because its a turbo?!

the one im looking at its a rev 2 and cover 100,000 miles, should I generally expect a fair few problems?
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Well just remember that if it's 100k on the clock, at least part of that will be in KM's, so not quite as high in reality. But at that mileage it will most likely be looking for at least a suspension refresh if it hasn't previously had any replacement parts.

Check the history and see when it last had a cambelt done. I'm sure it's every 60k on these, but no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Does it have a stereo all wired up? Both my Turbos had their wiring butchered and I had to put this right, although it's actually not that hard to wire up an ISO plug, providing the wiring to the speakers/amps(if it has the active system with one or two subs behind the seats) is still intact.

See what the gearbox is like. It might benefit from new selector cable bushes and an oil change if it feels ropey or stiff, but this is something you may be able to live with (I have thus far). It might also have a noisy clutch release bearing, where the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal. This is fairly common and a feature of both my Tubbies. It's more annoying than serious, so again this a job that's up to you whether you want to change that or whether you can live with it.

And check the bottom of the doors for rust, as well as the arches and sills.

Plus find out when it was last serviced, and if it's been a while change the plugs, oil, filters, dizzy cap and rotor arm. Some say do the HT leads but I find these tend to last pretty well. This boosted MPG and responsiveness in both my Tubbies.

Cheap cars are definitely out there, and some will be better than others. You CAN get a bargain, but as I say just be very very careful about what you're buying, but don't expect too much for your money.

HTH
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

What he said !! ^^^^

You should take a read through this guide first then ask questions later:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=49

Have you got a link to your one your buying or any known faults?
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

bluesmoke wrote:Well just remember that if it's 100k on the clock, at least part of that will be in KM's,

Or if it's still in KMs then it's due a cambelt.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Jaspa wrote:
bluesmoke wrote:Well just remember that if it's 100k on the clock, at least part of that will be in KM's,

Or if it's still in KMs then it's due a cambelt.

Stuart

i would never say 100k mean part miles, parts KMs.
whoever is converting the car to mph, SHOULD convert the mileage to read the CORRECT real mileage....

i would be peed off if a car read 100k miles, and the owner said, oh but some of that is kms! who/what/when are you ment to believe that.

if the car says 100k miles, then i would value it at that. 100k miles.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

That's fair comment Jim but unfortunately lots of them are done that way. You can verify it easily enough if the owner has an original receipt from import and subsequent mots, but it's certainly something to think about if paperwork is sparse.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

A turbo should be pretty much as reliable as an N/A if looked after. I had a rev 3 which was still running very well after 95k miles, engine sounded spot on. I'm quite sure it was the original engine and turbo. You can often tell a lot from the history and previous owner's treatment of the car.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

jimGTS wrote:...stuff...

indeed, but the OP wrote
dave1814 wrote:
Is there anything to look for particularly on a turbo, the one im thinking of looking at has a lot of service history but 100k on the clock (1991)? And from what ive been reading, a lot of these engines have been rebuilt!?

Which doesn't say if the clocks have been converted to Miles or are still reading in KM.

and therefore

Jaspa wrote:Or if it's still in KMs then it's due a cambelt.

So ner nerdy ner ner :oldtongue:

:lol:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
dave1814

Post by dave1814 »

many thanks for all the replies guys!

the car that I was looking at was this one...

http://tinyurl.com/23cxzfe

he hasnt sold it, but maybe its too tuned and might be risky?

i have about 1000-1500 to spend, originally i had up to 1k, but i figured if i wanted a turbo i would have to up the budget a bit!

thanks,
Dave
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

dave1814 wrote:many thanks for all the replies guys!

i have about 1000-1500 to spend, originally i had up to 1k, but i figured if i wanted a turbo i would have to up the budget a bit!

thanks,
Dave

£1k Tubby = Trouble [-X #-o :pale: :-k
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i bought mine for 1400, 93 plate rev2, 60k on the clock, every mot since imported, loaaaads of history with it, totally standard, very well looked after, it had reaaaally bad faided paint though, this is the type of car you should keep your eye out for, mine was essentially a 2-3k motor had it not been for the paint, i painted it myself :):):) faided paint knocks off sooo much value on an otherwise mint car :thumleft: :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dave1814 wrote:many thanks for all the replies guys!

thanks,
Dave

I hope you didn't end up buying that one. My money would be on it having had a front end impact at some point in its life, the bumper and headlights don't sit right and one of the trim strips is wrong. It has no side repeaters?! The specs the seller is posting don't really tie up with the engine bay shot, and it's got 2 dump valves ](*,) which says to me that it's been modified by someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing! Especially considering one of them is VTA on an AFM engine.

For what it's worth I don't think you'll get a sorted turbo that will give you hassle-free motoring for £1500.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
dave1814

Post by dave1814 »

nope, ive upped my budget to 2k and might be going to look at this...

http://tinyurl.com/2epavug

least they will provide a 3 month warranty!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you'll get a better one than that for 2k mate seriously, 100k miles??? i wouldn't pay 2k for that :thumleft:

best bet is one off of here tatha has been looked after, there's been looaaaads of good ones sold over the winter on here :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
dave1814

Post by dave1814 »

sheppy wrote:you'll get a better one than that for 2k mate seriously, 100k miles??? i wouldn't pay 2k for that :thumleft:

best bet is one off of here tatha has been looked after, there's been looaaaads of good ones sold over the winter on here :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

really? OK OK ill wait! :-P

i hate waiting tho! lol

someone sell me theirs for under 2k please? :p
dave1814

Post by dave1814 »

update: i have just found a cheaper one...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1654938.htm

any advice?

might be able to get 6 months tax for the asking price as well? i know its a 1990, but less miles.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Looks OK.

I sold my Rev 2 Tubby 6-8 weeks ago for £1600 with Tein Super Streets, TRD rear wing, manual boost controller, aftermarket intercooler, Blueflame exhaust, and about 6 months' MOT though.

Issues were:
Needed new rear tyres
Needed arches rolling
Needed front wings either replacing with properly painted yellow ones or respraying

That was about it.

Decent stuff is out there!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

dave1814 wrote:update: i have just found a cheaper one...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1654938.htm

any advice?

might be able to get 6 months tax for the asking price as well? i know its a 1990, but less miles.

that one does look good, plus it's got mot's, i'd buy that for that price, you might even be able to knock a couple of hundred off, tell him you got the cash and you wanna buy, tell him you've got 1500 waiting for him :):):)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”