[Mk2] [Turbo] Safe mode? But no error code?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ferrit

[Mk2] [Turbo] Safe mode? But no error code?

Post by ferrit »

Hi guys,

Got a strange one ... my Rev3 turbo is setup with a HKS EVC 3 Boost controller, set to 0.8 Bar and it holds nice and steady at this level according to my boost gauge.

However, on a number of occasions now ive taken the car out for a spirited drive and whenever I drive over around 6/6.5K revs on full boost in say 3rd gear the car seems to become sluggish and not allow anything more than around 6/8PSI (if at all) the next time I try and put my foot down. After an ECU reset the car is fine again.

It doesn't feel like fuel cut, as i've hit fuel cut in a Rev2 and this feels completely different, it's almost as though the car is going into safe mode? Ive checked the ECU for error codes and it's not showing up anything, yet as mentioned previously an ECU reset seems to sort it out.

Surely if the ECU was picking up something it'd be stored would it not?

Any advice appreciated, as it's worrying!!

Cheers
Aaron
gaztubby

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Safe mode? But no error code?

Post by gaztubby »

This is strange 0,8 bar is about 12psi rev3's run about 13psi as standard. Most people run 15-16psi with boost controller on rev3s without cooling mods, but have you disconected the outlet pipe form the wastegate as this will limit the boost via the ecu.
ferrit

Post by ferrit »

Hi mate,

It was pretty dark last night so didnt have a chance to have a good look around, but I do remember when it went down on boost last time I reset the ECU AND tightened up one of the retaining clips around the intercooler piping as it had come loose....

Went out this morning to recheck the piping and the pipe has literally completely ripped off the intercooler :shock:

That'll be the culprit then!!! .... lol, at least it was nothing too sinister.

Cheers
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

the HKS EVC3 has a boost limiting function where it will lower the boost should it detect an overboot scenario. this is defined in the final screen after you hit mode a few times. are you sure its the ECU limiting the boost and not the boost controller ;)

ps when the EVC 3 does this it also beeps at you and i think flashes the red light

Return to “Mechanical”