[Mk2] [NA] MOT Failure - Mainly Emissions & Sills

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stuMR2lee

[Mk2] [NA] MOT Failure - Mainly Emissions & Sills

Post by stuMR2lee »

Hi everyone, I have owned my 1994 Rev3 NA MR2 T-Bar since January 2010. Just put it in for it's MOT and been told it's dangerous to drive!

The O/S brake caliper is binding - I can sort this out with a replacement one as had to do the N/S previously.

The Sills need welding so I left the car with the garage to give me a quote tomorrow - I'm dreading the cost. Any ideas what I could be looking at? Rear part of sills within prescribed area of suspension component mounting.

The Headlights appear to be the wrong way on the beam pattern. The car has previously spent time in France so that might explain why they have been changed. I don't know how the previous owner got it through it's UK MOT last year! New Headlights on order will fix this.

Emissions:
Fast Idle Test CO = 3.14%, Lambda = 0.905 (both failed). HC 196ppm (pass).
Second Fast Idle Test CO = 2.05, Lambda = 0.936 (both failed). HC 128ppm (pass).
Natural Idle Test CO = 7.41% (fail)

I am going to try a new Lambda sensor when I find what part number I need. Does anyone know this information for a 1994 3GSE NA? Is this likely to be the problem or is the CAT the likely cause? Would a fairly cheap universal one do?

Apart from this the car is great!

Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Stuart (Colchester)
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [NA] MOT Failure - Mainly Emissions & Sills

Post by raptor95GTS »

I know when my Lambda sensor failed it popped an error code 21, also the cheap replacements didn't work and I got refunded (place said it happens a lot with toyota's so no quibble back on the sensor) but it was fairly expensive from Toyota! If the CAT is gubbed then that will throw out the emissions too.

Sills - yeah the mk2's are starting to get rusty now, mk1 owners will be getting their (well earned / suffered) revenge now :(
swin

Post by swin »

noticed a bit of bubbling on my sill so mot due so i though i'd inspect a little closer, after a little probing :shock:

had to cut 400mm of and the inner part totaly gone :pale:

made the inner part just waiting for sill section to turn up
mot put back a week or so, check your sills folks before mot man puts a screwy through em
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Hoping my sills aren't as bad but have to get the bodyshop to have a look/quote as my garage's welder wasn't happy to take on this work. I can see holes where the wheel arch meets the sill on mine. Plus the last 3-4 inches are missing on one of the outer sills towards the rear wheel - seems to have been bodged with body filler in the past.

Have you got any pictures of the new inner part you made?

I'm no welder/fabricator so I can see big bills on the horizon.

Let us know how yours turn out.

Anybody know any reliable bodyshops in Colchester area?

On the emission side I have today discovered that one of my spark plugs was less than finger tight and practically wobbly. When tightened the car is a different beast altogether with higher idle, smoother running, and more power. I will get a new emission test next week to see if this was part of the problem.[/img]
swin

Post by swin »

Its in Four parts at the mo , will take some pics as i go on
when i get the sill in place temporarily and i know it will fit will tack it together (might need a little fine tuning)

Return to “Mechanical”