Low MR2's, oh and hello :)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MidshipPilot

Re: Low MR2's, oh and hello :)

Post by MidshipPilot »

Mine had a 38mm drop but had to trim a wee bit off the rear arches (17/50/235 on rear)

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... e_id=16698
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

right decided. I can't squeeze that size on mine, so i'm prob gona wack my 16x8 et 38 enkeis on the front and spray black and so I'm after som 16X9 or 9.5 in offsets around the et20 mark. only the two though as I'm limited on the old dollar! anyone see's any please point me towards them as i'm struggling :(
ps. preferabley dished and light.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Light scuffing is ok - you get used to it but some days it will annoy you :)
MidshipPilot

Post by MidshipPilot »

Rob wrote:Light scuffing is ok - you get used to it but some days it will annoy you :)

SPEED BUMPS! EEK! Since I changed my set-up, I've also changed some of my journeys to avoid these horrors!

Also has anyone else noticed the state of our roads - potholes?
Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

Oh speed bumps are a problem already.lol
If they're square I go around them and if they're the whole road width I just creek over.

and potholes, the road to mine has to be taken a certain way, you have to look pi$$ed. haha. there's one bit where you have to squeeze right upto the white line and shoot straight back to the left to avoid the seriously sunken middle of the road! haha.
love what our taxes and council tax goes on hey. ;)
not going to get political though!
Rob

Post by Rob »

MidshipPilot wrote:
Rob wrote:Light scuffing is ok - you get used to it but some days it will annoy you :)

SPEED BUMPS! EEK! Since I changed my set-up, I've also changed some of my journeys to avoid these horrors!

Also has anyone else noticed the state of our roads - potholes?

I am disgusted by it. Sure the winter was a bad one for the roads, but if they were in a better state beforehand the damage would be much less.

I blew 2 rear shocks on my E36 Beemer commuter in the past year because of potholes.

Got fed up with the unnecessary bills so I went to measure a few of the 'killers' on my work route. No bigger than 3.5" deep (which is freaking deep) yet they have to be 4" to make a claim!!!!!!!!!
eg-iain

Post by eg-iain »

Have a say i wouldn't call most of the cars in this thread low. But ovb people have different ideas of what low is i guess i think low as in cant get foot under front bumper but i guess thats just me....

I'd like anyone to find a lower mr2 than this ;)

p.s - can anyone tell me what kit this is?
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

airwalker front,
Fujimurea sides.
back i cant work out from the pics.

your car may be low iain but you have got to admit, you cant enjoy 'driving' good roads with it that low.

my car is lower than a few cars pictured in this thread, i wouldn't call it slammed hence me not posting it in the thread but its low enough to really annoy me on country roads.

.. looks good though :thumleft:
eg-iain

Post by eg-iain »

Awesome dude thanks for the info! It's not my car i found it looking for a slammed mr2 and i have to say this is how i want mine to look!

Are roads over here are awful but i found ways of driving slammed cars, i ended up driving looking at the road surface so i know what bits to dodge etc haha. Still points where you will scrape ovb tho, had a few times were i wacked the sump off the ground on my teg :( was covered in dent and scrapes. Worst i find are multi-storys i got stuck going up one the whole floor of the car was jammed on the ground with the back wheels still on the ramp and front just over was like a see-saw! Ended up having to floor it to just get off it.....Ahhh the days of being slammed LOL!

Can't wait to start them again with my mr2!

Edit - Just been looking for "Fujimurea" skirts and they seem really hard to find they webside is all in jap too :( anyone know where i could find these
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good luck with slamming the MR2 - you will rip the side skirts clean off if you drop down the smallest of potholes with a kit like the one pictured (which is not actually very low).

Completely crazy thing to do unless every bit of road you go on is dead level and you park it on the street.

How would you get it on a ramp for an MOT? Mine struggles.

There is a difference between low (which most cars in this thread are) and un-driveable which is the white one above! The white one above isn't really very low at all. It has gaps above front and rear wheels with deep side-walls on the tyres and it is just the over-sized deep bodykit that is making it look low.
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

Rob wrote:Good luck with slamming the MR2 - you will rip the side skirts clean off if you drop down the smallest of potholes with a kit like the one pictured (which is not actually very low).

Completely crazy thing to do unless every bit of road you go on is dead level and you park it on the street.

How would you get it on a ramp for an MOT? Mine struggles.

There is a difference between low (which most cars in this thread are) and un-driveable which is the white one above! The white one above isn't really very low at all. It has gaps above front and rear wheels with deep side-walls on the tyres and it is just the over-sized deep bodykit that is making it look low.

+1... un-drivable.. :lol:

and that kit just makes the wheels look too small... #-o
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I find certain speedbumps I can only get over with a scrape with my standard rev1 front lip... just on Tein S Techs (but still 15's). Pushed to the side of a narrow road by a truck say I have to be very cautious of road edge ruts, sunken drainage holes, etc. I cant afford to turn a daily driver I can enjoy everywhere into a known roads only once a week trinket.
If you lower the corners and sides with kit you can get the body (centre of gravity) less low whilst maintaining 'adequate' ground clearance.

PS. Ed-iain, would you consider something like say, a modern roadgoing ferrari 360/430 a 'slammed car'?
eg-iain

Post by eg-iain »

I understand that the cars "deep" kit makes it look lower to the ground and properly isn't that low.

See diffrence i think is my view on low, what you may see is a low car i infact see as quite high, i've driven cars daily with 100mil drops on 15's and my teg which was more like 120mil at the front. Ovb which are roads here my cars have hit things along the road etc but thats the price you pay for a car being low. I guess it's all about the looks over how the car performs such as Form>Function. Yes alot of people will think it's stupid and undrivable but i'm just saying from driving around glasgow in a car that might of been classed as "slammed" didn't stop me.

For mot's well not all mot have ramps you need to get up. We have ones you can simply drive on to that are built into the floor or pits. Your right about the damage to the skirts mind youi have seen someone in abderdeen with an s15 spec r whos car was a s low as this driving about ok.

Also you state most of the cars in this thread are low, i think low is a view apon you to deside. You cant say that most of them are low as thats not a fact it's a view like my view that there not. I dont belive that after all mr2 with 40-50mil drop are then classed as low. It's just my view but hay ho.

Maybe it's because i come from honda land where alot of them like to run there cars silly low. Even my mates mr2 dropped all the way down on bc racing coilovers wanted his lower.

Highway star i'm not sure i havn't really looked at one in that way before so i'm not sure.

In all truth i've been through debates like this before on other forum and there are always the people who like it and people who dont, and in the history of it all no one ever agrees. It people who are into diffrent things and hence makes the world more interesting, it would be boring if we like the same thing.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thats all very true fella. A lot of people here don't understand why you'd want to turn a good sports car into a shopping trolley with wonky wheels but what do they know eh?
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

Iain has pulled it off on his hondas and trust me he's been harping on about slamming mr2s for years - side by side his civic/integra was always lower than my mister 2 fully down on BC's...

highwaystar i guess your not into "slow and low" cars then eh?
if i had the choice for a daily driver between
a standard mr2 with 15s on a 40mm drop and
an mr2 with dishy 17s workmeisters/blitz 03s slammed

i think i'd pick the latter to drive slowly back and from work in style. i can't afford to drive fast with petrol prices.
that "shopping trolly" would be so much nicer than your "sports car" as a daily driver :P
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

I'd say the white 1with the Diamond racing wheels is lowered more. The 1 below may look lower but as we no side skirts/bumpers gives that illusion,put the same kit on that stock body and it be sat on the tarmac.

p.s - can anyone tell me what kit this is?[/quote] :) :) :) :) :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Its quite easy to get your car looking pretty low on 15's.....

Here is mine with its original rims on the same height setting as my previous picture

Will_bmx

Post by Will_bmx »

right then guys! quick up date for those that care! haha.
I know most are all talk about doing these things (used to be me too!) but here's how it's looking now.
as low as I can go without ANY rubbing as I still want to drive it quick.
BC sorted me some shorter springs and dampers as it wouldn't go low enough at all on the front.
So, this is firstly how it was sitting initially, but it caught so much I raised it 12mm and the picture in front of a garage is how it sits now.
If you drop the 2, watch out for the rubbing inside the arch, it's not a joke, it hits a seam which cuts the tyre, be careful!!!!!
bit dirty on the gravel but it's been cleaned in the second pic!
Now has OMP wheel and bride seat too :twisted:

MR2_CL

Post by MR2_CL »

nice work man, thats looking pretty sweeet :)

next up i would totally recommend getting your arches rolled... i just got mine done as i had it to low and was scrubbing. its made such a nice difference! no rubbing over anything and i'm on 18's on the rear.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i cut the lips of my mgzr when runnings 18s and lowered

my bomex front bumper sits 74mm from the floor at the minute i admite ive cheated as its lower than the standard bumper.

but i dont know how much mine is lowered by, but i want the rear to match the front

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”