Just crashed my car - **repairs update**

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cartledge_uk

Re: Just crashed my car - **repairs update**

Post by cartledge_uk »

Sorry to hear about this :shock:

Those deer are a real pain, many a car has fallen to them round grinstead.

Hope you get it sorted, you could also chop for a newer one, there are/were some good 2's around at the moment.

If you need a hand, just shout :thumleft:
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

antnkel wrote:If you took cash in lieu of repair bet you could find the parts yourself and get a bodyshop to do the work in budget. It's 60% of the value, I did the same

They wanted to write it off at first, suppose it depends how much you want to keep it O:)

60%!!!????, I got 83% mate!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby
Marf

Post by Marf »

jasongtr wrote:if you need some parts i am breaking a goodwood, you can have them for cheap as id want to try and help out if i can, headlight, bonnet, slam panel £50

hope it works out for you

Thanks Jason, I'll bear you in mind :thumleft:

antnkel wrote:If you took cash in lieu of repair bet you could find the parts yourself and get a bodyshop to do the work in budget. It's 60% of the value, I did the same

Thanks Antnkel, looks like cash in lieu of repair more common than, hopefully I'll be able to get the same :)

What did it set you back to get yours sorted?

cartledge_uk wrote:Hope you get it sorted, you could also chop for a newer one, there are/were some good 2's around at the moment.

If you need a hand, just shout :thumleft:

Cheers Tim. Been looking around at a few UK cars on eBay/Pistonheads as swapping my engine/mods into a newer UK car has crossed my mind.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

sorry to hear, but its not that bad really, it gutting but no worse than i have done to mine and were putting it right.

il admit mine was far from mint example, but there was no way it was making its way to the scrap yard in the sky just yet ;)

before

here's what i had left with

once removed bumper and surveyed extent of structual damage the crash bar, bit of the slam panel, the impact things, so wasnt bad but that was an armco at around 50mph.

hope this give you faith to rebuild and save :D
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

Thanks Antnkel, looks like cash in lieu of repair more common than, hopefully I'll be able to get the same :)

What did it set you back to get yours sorted?
[/quote]

It was about £2000 and that was with some jig work, was quite lucky really the guy who did it had a black shell with all the bits needed.
Plus I bought the side and fog lights and a new rad.
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz17 ... el/034.jpg

They wanted to write it off at first, suppose it depends how much you want to keep it O:)

Bobby

60% is what they normally payout before writing off, looks like you got a good deal.
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

antnkel wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz17 ... el/034.jpg

Bobby

60% is what they normally payout before writing off, looks like you got a good deal.

Ah, then were talking about different things. What I'm talking about is not a straight payout but a cash-in-leui arrangement where they actively try to keep the car on the road and give a full a full payout mnus just 17% (there salvage cut) and DO NOT write the car off. They leave it up to you to fix the car. Thats not to say you then HAVE to fix the car. You get the cash adn the car this way so even if it turns out not to be fixable like in my case you still haev the car to break and move parts ove from to a fresh shell.

B
Marf

Post by Marf »

Spoke to Peter earlier and coupled with everyones posts here I'm starting to feel a lot better about the whole situation.

Thanks to all of you who have posted, offered parts or PM'd me about this.

I love IMOC :clap:
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

antnkel wrote:

Bobby

Ah, then were talking about different things. What I'm talking about is not a straight payout but a cash-in-leui arrangement where they actively try to keep the car on the road and give a full a full payout mnus just 17% (there salvage cut) and DO NOT write the car off. They leave it up to you to fix the car. Thats not to say you then HAVE to fix the car. You get the cash adn the car this way so even if it turns out not to be fixable like in my case you still haev the car to break and move parts ove from to a fresh shell.

B

Mine wasn't writen off I got payment had repairs done myself with the insurance carrying on, O:)
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

in response to your post in guru corner (i'm not a guru)

The lower cross member (that the rad sits on) is spot welded on in the AW11's so I presume its the same in an sw20.

resonably cheap from toyota too.

looking here there appears to be some descriptions, but no pics

:(

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1994_T ... _5304.html
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

oooh

looks like spot welded on :thumleft:
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Dude back luck :shock:

Hope it turns out alright for ya :pray:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Hi Tim, yeah found that diagram last night and Peter confirmed earlier that its spotwelded on. Not too much of an issue provided I can source a new one, as the US based parts site that I found the diagrams you posted on list the part as not available, so I'll likely have to get a second hand one, not that I have any issues with that :)

Providing the insurance play ball she will live again!

Even found a decent source for a replacement BBS LM, though its gonna cost me a pretty penny to get it shipped from the land of the rising sun! :-#

Cheers wadeski, I hope so too!
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Marf 3S are breaking a goodwood green SW20

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132102
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Marf wrote:Hi Tim, yeah found that diagram last night and Peter confirmed earlier that its spotwelded on. Not too much of an issue provided I can source a new one, as the US based parts site that I found the diagrams you posted on list the part as not available, so I'll likely have to get a second hand one, not that I have any issues with that :)

Providing the insurance play ball she will live again!

Even found a decent source for a replacement BBS LM, though its gonna cost me a pretty penny to get it shipped from the land of the rising sun! :-#

Cheers wadeski, I hope so too!

Try toyota in crawley, get a quote off them, sometimes random things are cheap, my rad support beam was ~£30, yet water pump o rings are £5 each :-k
Marf

Post by Marf »

Will give them a go, a mate of my sisters works there which is handy!
cosmos

Marph

Post by cosmos »

Marph sad to learn of your recent upset......... ill bet there is more positives on that 2 than negatives. Are you a quitter i dont think so, hope the situation looks clearer soon. Rob.
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

Marf sorry to hear this mate. Im sure youhave heard it all already but your still here bud. She doesnt look unsolveable bud, too nicer car to throw the towel in mate.
Best of luck wth the repair mate

dave :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Cheers guys, I will do my damndest to make sure she lives again!

On hold with the insurance co as we speak :pray:

Razor04 wrote:Marf 3S are breaking a goodwood green SW20

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132102

Thanks man, will keep an eye on the thread!
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Sorry to hear about this mate. Hope the car has a speedy recovery :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”