V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yeah i think i will have to toe the line with the spacing and just be creative with the number plate bolts :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Pics of the first work that has been done on my rollcage... just basic tacking together and getting it to follow the contours of the body for now, i am going to remove the whole thing and pretty it up before final fitting.

Also need to extend two bars backwards to the strut tops, and also thinking of tieing this into the v8 "box" section.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well it was way before xmas 2009 last time i touched the car so i decided to selfishly leave the garage work for one day and do as much as i could to the v8.

After a few hours the engine and gearbox are now out of the car for the final time, only now can you see the structural work to the chassis that has gone on, you can see the new crossmember tied into the old one and the box section from the engine bay side. I have a lot of work to do here, seam welding, sealing and painting the whole bay out before the engine can go back in for the last time. I also have a lot of heat protection and sound deadening to add.

It all needs a damn good clean up as well!

Here is my baby...

Now that it's back out i plan on going to town on it, rebuild it with fresh gaskets, detail everything and port/polish those heads, i have already seen they aren't properly port matched to the plenum so i think i can get some gains in this area.

They look incredibly similar to 3vz ports, so if we get the same 15% gain on this engine with no cats and the standalone i "could" potentially be talking about 400bhp NA :) Although i would be incredibly happy with its stock 350bhp.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Get to it Paul, chop, chop! :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

My V8 has now been tore down for new gaskets, detailing the whole thing and some headwork (350bhp NA just isn't enough , i'm shooting for 400 :) )

I have decided to ditch this massive pile of crap oil filter housing/cooler, it weighs about 6kgs and about 8kgs with oil and water in it... a total waste of time...

So off it came, i will plumb too flexi oil lines to those two ports instead...

My bores are in perfect unworn condition which i am very happy about, in fact the whole engines internals look like new.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Instead of trying to make unions fit the block and tapping the block out i decided to just buy the 034motorsport adapter... it just takes the work out of the problem although i do like solving issues like this myself without buying custom parts i felt this one was a sensible buy.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Update pics from my work last weekend, i got loads done, all of the major fuel/vac/servo lines installed on fixed tubing/ P clipped up properly, along with the clutch line.... and the whole bulkhead area where the engine sits has had heat mat bonded to it. It needs a little tidying here and there but the bay is coming on a treat now...

Also my 034motorsport oil gallery adapter came, here it is fitted...

I had to make the heater line bypass assembly pretty much from scratch... i used a pipe with an O ring on it that fits the block snugly, then swung it 90*, stuck a securing bracket onto it and hardpiped it to the original heater line that would normally go into the oil cooler assembly..... i think it has worked out quite well...

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Paulm just sent me the following

"Out of interest I did a calc on the gear ratios running on 17's with a 45 profile tyre, top speeds in each of the gears are: 51,94,134,204,264,316"

oof! 94 in second, this car is going to be crazy , to hell with doing 300 in mk1 :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I might have to look into a gearbox oil cooler I think
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Minus environmental factors like drag :mrgreen:

Obscene figures nonetheless :clap:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Oh yeah those figures exclude all aerodynamics, downforce, friction, drag etc etc.... just the basic maths of putting 7250 rpm through an Audi 2.5 TDi 6 speed box that normally sees 4200 rpm.

I will just about be able to test that in 3rd gear, i have no bottle to shove a Mk1 that quickly through air above that.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Paulm just sent me the following

"Out of interest I did a calc on the gear ratios running on 17's with a 45 profile tyre, top speeds in each of the gears are: 51,94,134,204,264,316"

oof! 94 in second, this car is going to be crazy , to hell with doing 300 in mk1 :)

Blimey, the gearbox is not well suited ratio wise is it? Can you do anything about the final drive?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Bonneville Salt Flats are calling.... :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

At the moment i am slightly dubious about the figures, after all an Audi A4 TDi won't do 196mph in 6th gear, so i think there is an error in the calcs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=581rF3HhKAM

If you listen to Hilly's lotus (audi v8 on the same gearbox as mine) you can hear it is not wrongly geared at all, in fact i'd say that's just about spot on.... so something isn't right with those calculations.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

If those figures were KPH they would be spot on.......
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yup, sounds like KPH figures to me.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Indeed, and aerodynamic drag etc will not affect a theoretical top speed in a gear, eiher way it will go like stink!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ah i got to the bottom of it, the final drive had not been taken into account, so i entered the new data and got the following....

That seems much more realistic.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Good progress Paul :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks G, i am engine building today which should be fun!

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”