Screamer pipe...

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

THE DUKE

Screamer pipe...

Post by THE DUKE »

Thinking about setting up a screamer pipe for my 91 turbo.

Anyone had any experience with these?
nutter

Re: Screamer pipe...

Post by nutter »

I have one on my rev 2, It's pretty loud. I assume you have and external wastegate? Also don't count on getting on any track days with it :( (santa pod excluded of course.)

Have a listen :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darcy2/pic ... i_0145.avi
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Cool... Thanks for the info.. Good Vid ;)

Where di you get yours built?
nutter

Post by nutter »

My wastegate is part of a turbo kit from these guys :

http://www.atsracing.net
gmtc

Post by gmtc »

Sounds familiar. I have the same one fitted tto my rev1. Nice vid.
"There is no spoon"
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Will a screamer pipe actually affect you getting on a track? I'm not sure at what RPM level the sound test is done, but surely you wouldn't be making boost. Let alone enough to open the wastegate.

I would think you'd get on a track as long as your exhaust is quiet enough, but you'd probaly be asked to leave the track after a lap or 2 :lol:
nutter

Post by nutter »

The problem is most tracks do fly by db testing as your going round the track so i doubt you'd even get a full lap out until they ordered you back in :)
cantfindausername

I noticed them doing that at goodwood when I was last there. This lady kept sticking her fingers in her ears as an RX7 went past. It wasn't overly loud though so they must have quite low limits. I guess if you have an exhaust facing the pit lane you'll be picked on more as they will catch the sound easier.

I guess it'd be best to steer clear of that side of the straight if thats where they do the fly-by tests from.
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Usually "fly by" tests are done with a microphone situated all around the track. And normally there is one hanging off the Start/Finish straight (usually hangs down from where the lights are)

Obviously it will depend on the tracks but usually 103Db will be "ok", apart from places like Coombe and Brands where its 98 iirc.
cantfindausername

Thats a bit of a pants limit really.

I'm guessing a straight pipe will be well over that. :|
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Yup... blame the "green parties" and the local residents who thought moving next to a race track would be quiet!
cantfindausername

To$$ers.

plain and simple
matt_bakermk1

Post by matt_bakermk1 »

Are bikes subject to the same limits?

Just seems you average fast road bike is way louder than most tuned cars, so what do these guys do on track days?
cantfindausername

Thats a damn good question.
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Still gonna get one ;)
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

I'd imagine they'd be subject to the same rules - ie baffles etc.

The only bikes I've seen go around a track are at the Ring (but having never personally been I wouldn't know how loud they are)

Single seaters are loud too, you'd be suprised how loud 100 odd decibels is though.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Dave Goodhand wrote:Obviously it will depend on the tracks but usually 103Db will be "ok", apart from places like Coombe and Brands where its 98 iirc.

Goodwood also has a 98dB limit (it was funny that I was asked by the instructor to "back off" slightly when going down the straights to avoid triggering their system, and this was in one of their OWN cars! :)).

ISTR that Donington is the same too. I can't remember though whether it's Goodwood or Donny that apparently has a system rigged up to the council to ensure that they don't keep exceeding the limit? Lauren might know....
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

IIRC Dino thats Donny that operate that system. Bit ghey really.

Watching some GT cars last night and they explained how many cars now are struggling with noise emissions. TVR even ducked out of the Castle Coombe race as they simply couldnt get the TVR's down to the 103 imposed limit (which isnt that loud!).

Seems silly that people live near race tracks and then whinge about the noise of the race cars. At this rate F1 cars will have electric engines to keep locals at Silverstone happy!
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Bender Unit wrote:IIRC Dino thats Donny that operate that system. Bit ghey really.

Yeah, I think you're right, mate.

Bender Unit wrote:Watching some GT cars last night and they explained how many cars now are struggling with noise emissions. TVR even ducked out of the Castle Coombe race as they simply couldnt get the TVR's down to the 103 imposed limit (which isnt that loud!).

Seems silly that people live near race tracks and then whinge about the noise of the race cars. At this rate F1 cars will have electric engines to keep locals at Silverstone happy!

I wouldn't worry about F1 cars, the FIA are screwing that up enough on their own! Apparently these new 2.4 v8s they've got to run next year are looking like being 3secs a lap slower! :shock:

Silverstone seems pretty safe with regards to locals, because I think the villagers appreciate the event, and the only other people to consider are the businesses that are strewn around the circuit, and most of them too revel on the noise and the fact that there's a race circuit right next to them.

But as for other UK circuits, as you say, mate, for the capital of Motorsport, it's not looking too great! :?
Dino
Click here for MR2 Mania Website

Return to “Modifications”