Nankang tyres?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fermanagh

Nankang tyres?

Post by fermanagh »

anyone know if nankang tyres are any good?
phild

Re: Nankang tyres?

Post by phild »

They are certainly cheap, I had a set on mine when I first bought it, kept meaning to change them but didn't get around to it, they were OK I guess, not bad enough for me to make them No 1 priority to get changed. However, if and when you do decide to get a "good" set of rubber on there is a definite difference in the stickability, in a word, you get what you pay for, I would not go back to the Nankangs unless money was very tight.
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

I have a cheap set on ebay for 17" rims...
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

Nankang are known in a lot of places as 'ditchfinders' and they don't work too well on MR2s. Too hard for a two, OK in a straight line if you like lotsa wheelspin.

If you want a good priced tyre try Kumho 712s, they aren't available for the rear on standard 15s, but they are available in 17".
fermanagh

Post by fermanagh »

I have 15" rims so what i'm guessing is that i need a set of the following:

Rear: 225/50/15
Front: 195/55/15

I know the rears costs quite a bit which is why i wanna go cheap...

Am i right?

Cheers
Baker

Post by Baker »

pointless posts so far, there are different types.

The nangkang EX500...see a lot of them on two's, cos they're 225/50/15'a are the cheapest you can buy. some say they are hard, and you can wheelspin them easily, so far i have not been able to wheelspin them iun the dry. but the rears have been eaten to bald in 3 months, so not as hard as some say i guess!! :shock:, but in the wet...make sure you have fully comp insurance.

Nangkang NS1 Not so good aparantly. never tried em though

Nangkang NS2 Pretty good, had them on the NA. good reviews from some chaps on here too. think theyre only available in the bigger sizes though.
Last edited by Baker on Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Post by Baker »

fermanagh wrote:I have 15" rims so what i'm guessing is that i need a set of the following:

Rear: 225/50/15
Front: 195/55/15

I know the rears costs quite a bit which is why i wanna go cheap...

Am i right?

Cheers

BTW the fronts of 2's in 15" wheels are pretty cheap, its a more common size than the rear. you can get eagles for £40 each or so. Rear eagles are £130. fkuc knows how they came up with that difference in price, apart from it being a rare size.
michael

Post by michael »

At the Donington trackday only one car crashed, it was wearing Nankangs...

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/D ... _1136.html

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/D ... _1137.html
ALLGT

Post by ALLGT »

i have a set of kankang sport ns-1's on mine in 17. ive yet to try them on the track that will be next weekend put i can launch in the dry just over 4 grand with no wheels spin. but if you pull out in an intersection and hit full bpoost they'll break loose on ya . im also running 205/40/17 b1tch tires . came with the car
Baker

Post by Baker »

michael wrote:At the Donington trackday only one car crashed, it was wearing Nankangs...

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/D ... _1136.html

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/D ... _1137.html

Substantial proof.

You lot hate the underdog dontcha! :wink:
michael

Post by michael »

ALLGT wrote:im also running 205/40/17 b1tch tires . came with the car

All round? :shock:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Cheap crap basically... TDFs etc...

Get decent tyres.

F1s
SO3s
jonno

Post by jonno »

I havent tried them yet, but mytyres.co.uk seem to have some "ok" prices on Bridgestone RE050's. S03's seem to be getting harder and harder to get hold of, so it might be worth an experiment ;)

They certainly "look" nice :)

Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
mr2 dan

Post by mr2 dan »

i have 225/50/16 on the rear falkens fair good in the wet very good in the dry £140 for both

205/50/16 front some f1 copys good all round £100 for both

thinking of 195/50/16 on the front next time as the 205s tram line a fair bit
Baker

Post by Baker »

Ok, if my 'hard' ex500's have lasted only 3 months on my car, how long are softer tyres gonna last? theyre all ive tried on a turbo. I drive the car hard most of the time.

2 months?? less?? im bu%%ered if im paying £200 every two months for rears.

and no, geo checked, all ok.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Baker wrote:Ok, if my 'hard' ex500's have lasted only 3 months on my car, how long are softer tyres gonna last? theyre all ive tried on a turbo. I drive the car hard most of the time.

2 months?? less?? im bu%%ered if im paying £200 every two months for rears.

and no, geo checked, all ok.

Try something else. who knows why it is. Maybe wangkangs are not only cheap but don't last either?

If you aren't doing trackdays then road driving ought not to kill the tyres tbh. Unless you are wheelspinning everywhere and doing traffic light gps every night?

I've done 5000miles on a set of A539s including a track day at Anglesey and a 100 miles round the Nurburgring and i've still got over half my tread left! I don't hang about either, though i never wheelspin if i can help it.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Sure this subject has come up before, but for what it's worth...

NS-1's = crap
NS-2's = excellent!

The NS-1's are being phased out as they were unstable and the compund was far too hard. the NS-2's are a whole different ballgame. Had them on mine for a few months now and I can't fault them.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Inherited Nankangs on the back of my Rev three. One word - shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.

Lost it on a wet roundabout at 10 - 15 MPH. They're sufferable in the dry, but they might as well be bald in the wet.
Kelvyn

Post by Kelvyn »

Never had any problems with them in the wet or dry on my N/A. I even drove home from Norwich the other year when all those people got snowed in on the M11 near Stanstead. Certainly an "interesting" ride home but I made it through with no near misses or spins, just the odd wagging tail, and as soon as I got home I had to drive down to Bornemouth. I would have no qualms about using them again. Did you know they are made by Yokohama?
As to the only car to crash wearing them how do we know that the driver wasn't just going too fast to make the corner ?, you can't just blame the tyres, the driver of the car should have learned the limits of the tyres and stayed within it.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

:shock:

'Help keep the streets safe!'
'Say "NO!" to Nankangs'!

Return to “Modifications”