[Mk2] [Generic] Help with ISO adaptor / 15-pin connector

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dave5526

[Mk2] [Generic] Help with ISO adaptor / 15-pin connector

Post by dave5526 »

Ok so my new rev4 came with a toyota double din HU:

It also has subs behind both seats. The connector that plugs in the back looks like the 15pin described on this thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87587

I have just bought a JVC head-unit with standard 2-plug ISO connection and 2 rear line out plugs.

So I'm assuming I will need one of these:

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/car-audio. ... 11-adaptor

However, that adaptor has only one ISO plug and 4 line outs - will this work? Can I get a Y splitter for the lineouts, and will the head unit work without the second RCA wired up?

Just to complicate things further, it looks like the loom has been butchered to have the 15-pin connector fitted, so I dont know if this is the original connector that came with the car and it was changed to another at some point and switched back, or if the double din unit is from another model and had that connector wired on to fit it:

Any suggestions or advice? I just want the cd player working, i'm not terribly bothered about fantastic sound quality so if the rear speakers dont work that wouldn't be a major issue, it would be nice to have the door speakers and subs working though.
DeusMR2

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Help with ISO adaptor / 15-pin connector

Post by DeusMR2 »

Yes you can use a Y-splitter to connect the Front and Rear line-outs, I did this with a Sony unit I used to have and it worked fine :thumleft:

You should check the original 15-pin connector first though - are all the connections made to the pins and are the wiring colours consistant across cuts/bodges.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Help with ISO adaptor / 15-pin connector

Post by toxo »

DeusMR2 wrote:Yes you can use a Y-splitter to connect the Front and Rear line-outs, I did this with a Sony unit I used to have and it worked fine :thumleft:

You should check the original 15-pin connector first though - are all the connections made to the pins and are the wiring colours consistant across cuts/bodges.

+1 really, I also use Y splitters on my photo preouts to drive my 2 amps from 1 pair of preouts. I imagine your car has had the connector chopped out before and the owner put it back to standard before selling it. If it was too wrong then the stereo wouldn't work as the 15 pin stereos have no internal amplifier.

Any aftermarket stereo will work fine without the 2nd ISO plug attached (which is what I guess you meant) as the 2nd plug only carries speaker connections - all the power and accessory wiring is done in the first ISO plug.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “ICE and Security”