what gas to recharge my air con???

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ballmysta23

what gas to recharge my air con???

Post by ballmysta23 »

well my air con no longer puts out cold air, and in this weather, i really need it (no t bar on my motor!!)

so i asked my mate who fits air con if he could sort it, but he said he needs to know what type of gas my car takes, a code or something??? :-k

can anyone help?? [-o<
waelwulfas

Re: what gas to recharge my air con???

Post by waelwulfas »

You're 'mate' can only fill R134a, or face some serious penalties for even storing the older gases. He can check the fill valves to see if will straight fill; if it's an older system I undestand the valves can be changed easily, R134a and an additive will then go okay.
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

It's not true that you can only fit R134a. There is available a gas called Isceon 49 which is a drop in replacement for the older gases. It contains a lubricant and other additives that will mean you don't have to replace the seals.
It isn't quite as efficient as R134a but in the UK I doubt you'll notice the difference. When you get your car regassed, make sure you run the aircon at least once a month for ten minutes, even through the winter, to keep the seals working, if they dry out, all your gas will leak away and you'll have to have another regas.
sadako

Post by sadako »

Someone from the states was telling me about a new gas for aircon.

Apparently the code for it is 12a, and is supposedly a friendlier replacement than the old R-12 CFC refrigerant they are not allowed to use anymore but is more efficient and less toxic than 134a.

Dont know if this applies over here tho
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

Just to add to the other posts here. I had mine re-gassed a while ago because it wasn't as cold as it should be. Cost me £50 but it still should be colder. I know now I would have been better off with a full air-con service which at the garage I used would have cost me £90 which includes a top-up but there is a new part needed (Sorry forgot what it's called) even though there is no leakage. The part costs no more than £100 including fitting and it's not uncommon for it to wear out every 2 or 3 years depending on usage.
In other words I wasted £50 on just having a top-up!!
“There’s class warfare all right, but it’s my class, the rich class that’s making war, and we’re winning.” Warren Buffett

Return to “Mechanical”