Opinions on Carbon bonnet

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Amelio

Opinions on Carbon bonnet

Post by Amelio »

Just wondering what people think to Carbon bonnets.

Mine is currently stone-chipped pretty bad, but instead of a refurb or a straight swap im thinking of buying carbon and fitting it as its natural colour.

My car colour is azure (see profile) what are your thoughts?

Ben
DannyW

Re: Opinions on Carbon bonnet

Post by DannyW »

i like them, but then i would :D

mine:

BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

Ive wanted one for a long time :d
J3OOSST

Post by J3OOSST »

If your buying it for the Carbon look thats cool, they can look fantastic on the right car, but, i have heard some people say the Carbon bonnetts are heavier than original ? Never had one , so only going by what I have being told...
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

J3OOSST wrote:If your buying it for the Carbon look thats cool, they can look fantastic on the right car, but, i have heard some people say the Carbon bonnetts are heavier than original ? Never had one , so only going by what I have being told...

that's balls mate, mine is about half the weight of the original.
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

lol carbon bonnet heavier than the original NO WAY, my dad has a real
carbon bonnet spoiler and its very light :(
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

J3OOSST wrote:If your buying it for the Carbon look thats cool, they can look fantastic on the right car, but, i have heard some people say the Carbon bonnetts are heavier than original ? Never had one , so only going by what I have being told...

I can see what you're saying, as most "carbon" bonnets that you see and merely a couple of layers of carbon, thickened and stiffened up by using plenty of glassfibre (this always used to make my F1 mate laugh when he saw this at shows!). Depending on how liberal they've been with the glassfibre, the bonnets can end up being almost as heavy as the stock items.

However, the ones I've seen for the MR2 tend to be quite light. They're still making using of glassfibre, AFAIK, but they're of reasonable quality.

Personally, I'd like to see a PURE CF bonnet that's made using pre-preg, vacuum bagging and claving. That would be ULTRA light, and as strong as hell, but wouldn't exactly be cheap! :?
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
terminater2_uk

Post by terminater2_uk »

I dont like them, just looks like a bonnet from the scrappy that you couldnt be bothered painting.
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

i personally think they look very nice, but im still weighing up the cost factor...is there anyone who buys them in for cheap.

Im sure i remember someone who gets them from the states occasionally???
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Amelio wrote:i personally think they look very nice, but im still weighing up the cost factor...is there anyone who buys them in for cheap.

Im sure i remember someone who gets them from the states occasionally???

You get what you pay for though. For example, I've heard of some needing bonnet pins so that the bonnet don't fly off. Also, I've heard of slight fitment problems. That's what you get when it's not done properly, IMHO.

I'd love to have a PROPER CF one, but would then paint it body colour. Go figure!
Dino
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

I'm well pleased with mine, the lines go well with the mr2. No probs with the fitment, but it was pinned to be on the safe side. I had mine painted, I know it's not to everybodys taste. I weighed mine and it was just under half the weight of the standard bonnet.

Your'e cars looking great BTW Danny 8)

Phil.
J3OOSST

Post by J3OOSST »

MR2Mania wrote:

I can see what you're saying, as most "carbon" bonnets that you see and merely a couple of layers of carbon, thickened and stiffened up by using plenty of glassfibre (this always used to make my F1 mate laugh when he saw this at shows!). Depending on how liberal they've been with the glassfibre, the bonnets can end up being almost as heavy as the stock items.

However, the ones I've seen for the MR2 tend to be quite light. They're still making using of glassfibre, AFAIK, but they're of reasonable quality.

Personally, I'd like to see a PURE CF bonnet that's made using pre-preg, vacuum bagging and claving. That would be ULTRA light, and as strong as hell, but wouldn't exactly be cheap! :?

At least what I had heard meant I was not tottaly talking balls then #-o
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Carbon bonnets look mint with the right kind of complimentary mods 8) , HOWEVER, with the wrong mods DONT DO IT MATE. :shock:
Thats only my opinion!!
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

MRV6 wrote: I weighed mine and it was just under half the weight of the standard bonnet.

Mate, you don't happen to remember the 2 weights, do you?
Dino
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

MR2Mania wrote:
MRV6 wrote: I weighed mine and it was just under half the weight of the standard bonnet.

Mate, you don't happen to remember the 2 weights, do you?

If memory serves me right it was 14kgs for the standard bonnet and 6.5-7.0 kgs for the carbon fibre one. Get the best of both worlds really weight saving and it looks good.

Phil.
Baker

Post by Baker »

7kilos? That can be lost in the toilet in the morning! :-s negligable really.

very Max power i think. yuk [-X
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Baker wrote:7kilos? That can be lost in the toilet in the morning! :-s negligable really.

are you for real? if you're doing 7kg sh1ts in the morning then you want to get down the doctors mate.

:D
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

DannyW wrote:
Baker wrote:7kilos? That can be lost in the toilet in the morning! :-s negligable really.

are you for real? if you're doing 7kg sh1ts in the morning then you want to get down the doctors mate.

:D :D
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

DannyW wrote:

LMFAO :lol: :lol:
Essex MR2

Post by Essex MR2 »

I love them. So while we're on this subject, were's the best place to get one without paying a fortune, but still getting quality???

Return to “Modifications”