supercharger ignition timing

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazybrightman

supercharger ignition timing

Post by crazybrightman »

hi, i have an ae101 supercharger engine with the dis and therefore where the dizzy usualy sits is a cam timing sensor. now i took this out as i need to make some alterations to fit my new manifold but i cant see how you time it back up! on the usualy dizzy setup theres a mark for aligning with tdc so dead simple, no marks at all on the cam sensor! am i stuffed? there must be a way?
thanks, neil.
4agte on the way
MartG

Re: supercharger ignition timing

Post by MartG »

The dizzy is adjustable as it directly controls ignition timing. With the DIS setup, the cam sensor just tells the ECU when the cam is in a particular position, and the ECU controls the timing, so the sensor doesn't need to be adjustable
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

problem is the engine has moved and the sensor has no doubt been rotated by now! so cant just put it back in and i need to mount it upside down to clear the manifold, looks like its going to be a sod to sort out then!
4agte on the way
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Having played with dizzy's /CAS's recently, I think there MAY be something you can do.......

You say that you're fitting the CAS upside down?
Well, if you drill out the pinion dowel, pull the pinion off with a puller, and then rotate it 180 degrees and press it back on, the dizzy will function as stock, just upside down..! :thumleft:

If you clean everything up, then you may be able to just rotate the pinion rather than removing it (but it doesn't work like that, usually!)

IIRC, the pinion has an odd number of teeth, so you cannot simply put it on upside down, as you wont be able to time it up.

If you set the engine to TDC, and remove the CAS cover so you can see the trigger wheels, it shouldn't be too difficult to sus out how to set it to 10 degrees...
The top wheel only has one "tooth" so you can line that up with the pickup coil......?

Sounds do-able? :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”