[Mk2] [NA] Alternator????

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CA551E

[Mk2] [NA] Alternator????

Post by CA551E »

My alternator has just died. Whats the best way to remove it an replace it????
Drop drive shaft and suspension arms or remove the inlet manifold???
Last edited by CA551E on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awilkinson75

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Alternator????

Post by Awilkinson75 »

have you removed the alternator from its bracket? if so there are several ways to get the alternator out of the engine bay. Firstly you can remove the bracket also and then bring both up and out the top of the engine bay but the bracket is a nightmare to remove. remember that when replaceing the alternator and bracket to put alternator back in engine bay before bracket or it wont go back in. Secondly you can remove the flexi part of the exhaust and lower it out the bottom of the engine bay, or finally you can do like i did and put a large piece of wood between engine and boot wall and push the engine slightly forward while lifting the alternator up and out near where the diognosis plugs are. If you remove the drivers side engine bay service panal and move diognosis plug out of the way there should be enough room. MAKE SURE WHEN DOING IT THIS WAY THAT YOU EITHER, BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PASSING THE FUEL LINE THAT RUNS FROM RIGHTSIDE OF ENGINE TO FILLER(FRONT LEFT OF ENGINE BAY)OR DISCONNECT IT AT THE ENGINE END AND MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. I didnt realise that the line was in the way and made a hole in it getting the alternator out and had to replace the entire line. any more questions let me know, Andy
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

As he said above :thumleft:

I dropped mine down, left then up through the mash of wires.

To get it up (lol) I just wrapped some rope round it and moved as many wires out the way and gave it a tug (lol)

Replacing is the opposite. It's not hard, just a pita due to not being much room.

Make sure you get the correct alternator in replacment and mae sure the plug is clean and correctly fitted when you replace it.

Might also be worth replacing the belt as it's about £7 and saves another job.
eurosmith

Post by eurosmith »

I did mine just after christmas, easiest way was to bring it out upwards i cut away some of the seam sealer from the firewall and it came out easyish.

Not much room but doable from above without removing the inlet :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”