running an evo / scooby

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

bill

Re: running an evo / scooby

Post by bill »

matt_mr2t wrote:How many miles a year do you do?
If you're doing 12k + it's gonna cost you a bomb. If like me, you do about 5k tops, it's not gonna make much of a difference.

My tubby once got 250 miles to a full tank, I'm pretty sure mine (rev2) only had 45 litres as well?! It was dreadful on fuel. If you can get 300+ miles out of an Evo tank thats superb. I usually got 200 miles to a full tank. If I gave it enough stick, it would drop down to about 180 miles.
When I bought it the prev owner had opened up the OE BOV and it got 126 miles to the tank :shock:

I only do around 120 miles a week, to and from work, then general running about, so say 150 miles a week, so thats 7200 miles a year, and i seem to be getting 10 days or so to a full tank, maybe a bit more, so i'm putting 150 quid in the mr2 a month, ( i will monitor this properly on my next fill up ).

Been reading a few horror stories on scoobies going through engines like there out of fashion, similar with evo's, but then again i'm sure thats the same with any high performance turbocharged car, no doubt this site is full of them, if you search into it, ( although i'm sure i did before i got the tubby :roll: )

Got a few quotes off chris knott, for comparison i'm fully comp on the tubby, agreed value of £5k, all mods declared etc...............

MR2 TURBO- £590 -MODIFIED CAR
EVO 7- £1029 -STANDARD CAR
BLOBEYE WRX STI UK- £1320 -STANDARD CAR

was surprised the evo was cheaper tbh, sure if i rang around again i could bring them down, was even more surprised at how much more expensive they are to the modified mr2 :shock: , will get a quote on a leon cupra r next and a few other cars, including a classic impreza ra.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Evo's & Scoobies are high targets for thiefs where as tubbies arent so.

The problem is, the average knuckle dragging thug knows an evo and a scooby where as they dont know about MR2 Turbo's and that they're just as quick.
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

bill - will be a shame to let your MR2 go I'd imagine.

An absolutely stunning example in my opinion and the buyer will be one lucky sod...
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

I've been lookin at Evo 4's for a while seem to be going for sub 4k now has anyone had one? would i be dissapointed compared to an Mr2 turbo?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Beware crank walk on the early engines. If you can stretch to a 5, or find a 4 with a 5 engine installed that'd be the way to go :thumleft:
bill

Post by bill »

Amelio wrote:bill - will be a shame to let your MR2 go I'd imagine.

An absolutely stunning example in my opinion and the buyer will be one lucky sod...

Cheers bud, it is a stunner, and i will miss it, keep thinking, shall i just buy a run around and keep the tubby, but its 2 lots of insurance/tax/mots etc etc, and i wouldn't use it enough to justify running 2 cars :(
bill

Post by bill »

Razor04 wrote:I've been lookin at Evo 4's for a while seem to be going for sub 4k now has anyone had one? would i be dissapointed compared to an Mr2 turbo?

i drove an evo 4 back from santa pod one year, i had a williams back then, lets just say, I WANTED ONE, BIG TIME, the handling/grip was unreal, and 4's aren't ment to be the best either, it was a white one, minter, i looked at my options then lol, but i couldn't afford one, now though an evo 4 would be well within my limits :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Was that the first time you drove a "big boy car" after the Williams?

My first big power drive was going from my Valver to a RWD Cossie - fook me I was hooked from the word go, so much so I nearly bought that Cossie but ended up with the MR2 instead :lol:
bill

Post by bill »

erm, not to sure to be honest mate, yes it could have been, but i have been in many quicker cars than that evo 4, it was the handling and grip that really impressed me, i had a 420bhp rwd sapphire cossie, had it about a year, engine went bang within the 1st month, melted piston, then spent the rest of the time saving to get it repaired, ( by a mate ) big end bearings went then, sold it as a non runner, lost some serious money on that heap of xxxx! but my god it was stupid quick.
mikey2

Post by mikey2 »

I know this is a bit of a revival, but i had a UK spec scooby last year that was running a proven 310 brake.
Fuel wise, i got just under 300 miles out of a tank on a long run, i was doing 50 - 60 mph most of the time though.
Performance wise, it would annihilate any mr2 i have come across, they werent mega mr2's so compared to a highly tuned, i wouldnt know.
Performance wise, 0-60 was about 4 - 4.5, and it didnt take much to get up to 140 in a little of 1/4 mile.
I never dragged it so i cant give accurate figures, but, it was very fast.
I kept up with an older zx6r ninja, we were both shocked!
Comfort wise, i have to say, it was great, far more comfy than the 2 even when lowered.
I had brembos on mine too, and stopping from the aformentioned 140 mph was very uneventful, if slightly painful!!!
Insurance wise, i was 29, 6 years no claims, all mods declared, parked on the road, i paid £530 f/c with aplan.

The real grin maker was the cornering, with good rubber it was solid, really solid, i knew it could corner faster than me, but it was mind blowing. THe only downside, if the back end does step out, it can turn into a slapper real fast, its not nice when the ar$e is hanging out.
Maintence wise, i changed the oil a couple of times in 6k miles, i changed the air filter, mostly out of choice, but that was about it.
It was a ver6 turbo 2000 on a v plate. I paid 4k for it, which was blinding!
I swapped it for an rx7, which then cost me everything! i lost the scooby, i lost the rx, i lost more than 4k in that little deal, all down to the fact the rx7 guy lied to me, and it needed an engine rebuild after he had totally thrashed it to within an inch of its life!!! i ended up paying 1800 quid for 2 new turbos, manifold, sports cat and some other bits, then found the compression was real down and was burning lots of oil!!! so i sold it for 1800 quid, losing the 4k i essentially paid for it.
bill

Post by bill »

mikey2 wrote:I know this is a bit of a revival, but i had a UK spec scooby last year that was running a proven 310 brake.
Fuel wise, i got just under 300 miles out of a tank on a long run, i was doing 50 - 60 mph most of the time though.
Performance wise, it would annihilate any mr2 i have come across, they werent mega mr2's so compared to a highly tuned, i wouldnt know.
Performance wise, 0-60 was about 4 - 4.5, and it didnt take much to get up to 140 in a little of 1/4 mile.
I never dragged it so i cant give accurate figures, but, it was very fast.
I kept up with an older zx6r ninja, we were both shocked!
Comfort wise, i have to say, it was great, far more comfy than the 2 even when lowered.
I had brembos on mine too, and stopping from the aformentioned 140 mph was very uneventful, if slightly painful!!!
Insurance wise, i was 29, 6 years no claims, all mods declared, parked on the road, i paid £530 f/c with aplan.

The real grin maker was the cornering, with good rubber it was solid, really solid, i knew it could corner faster than me, but it was mind blowing. THe only downside, if the back end does step out, it can turn into a slapper real fast, its not nice when the ar$e is hanging out.
Maintence wise, i changed the oil a couple of times in 6k miles, i changed the air filter, mostly out of choice, but that was about it.
It was a ver6 turbo 2000 on a v plate. I paid 4k for it, which was blinding!
I swapped it for an rx7, which then cost me everything! i lost the scooby, i lost the rx, i lost more than 4k in that little deal, all down to the fact the rx7 guy lied to me, and it needed an engine rebuild after he had totally thrashed it to within an inch of its life!!! i ended up paying 1800 quid for 2 new turbos, manifold, sports cat and some other bits, then found the compression was real down and was burning lots of oil!!! so i sold it for 1800 quid, losing the 4k i essentially paid for it.

Funny that, my mate had a classic uk scoob with an sti engine and a few tweaks 309 bhp, 5 of us drove down to santa pod in it, and it didn't half shift, even with 5 up and camping gear it pulled very very well in every gear, was definatley quicker than my 280bhp mr2, i drove his car up the strip, and managed a 13.2 1/4 mile, which i thought was pretty good for the power, and all the other "fancy scoobs" couldn't match it :mrgreen:

anyway, he has sold that car now, cost to much to run on a daily basis, with family etc etc, since me selling the mr2, i had a bang on the head and bought a vw passat estate, 130 tdi ](*,) heap! cost me a few grand that thing, :evil: thats sold now, and i'll post my new motor below in a sec :D
bill

Post by bill »

got myself a lovely clio 172 cup, its a minter! comes with bilsein b14 coilovers, matched inlets, and a de-cat. going to do a few trackdays next year in it hopefully, should be well at home on track 8)

decided on this as i love good handling cars, and i love clio's, and i simply could not afford the running costs of a scoob/evo for now, so a few pics

Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

I not long sold a Stage 1 modified Classic impreza and every thing was expensive from running costs to maintenence but its to be expected buying a car like that so cant grumble

Insurance really was a pisstake though :neutral:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

bill wrote:got myself a lovely clio 172 cup

looks good :thumleft:
mikey2

Post by mikey2 »

I just got myself another scooby, it feels really weird compared to the MR2!
its a very early one, but running 286 bhp, quicker than the mr2 and better on fuel!! weird one!

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mikey2 wrote:I just got myself another scooby, it feels really weird compared to the MR2!
its a very early one, but running 286 bhp, quicker than the mr2 and better on fuel!! weird one!

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx31 ... CN9476.jpg

Not sure why but i will never own one of these cars, :?
mikey2

Post by mikey2 »

Martin F wrote:
mikey2 wrote:I just got myself another scooby, it feels really weird compared to the MR2!

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx31 ... CN9476.jpg

What dont you like about them, i agree the looks compared to the mr2 are nothing, the mr2 looks a lot more 'sporty', however, the scooby has the performance and the comfort the 2 doesnt have, and back seats.
the fuel consumption is better too, i have done 100 miles on a tank and only used a bit over 1/4 tank.

Mine isnt running 286 though, the guy lied, a lot!!!! no idea what its putting out but with a leaky up pipe and headers, no ecu chip its not gonna be that great, prob maybe 240 ish.
I have taken the stickers off now, will put another pic of it up with no stickers, it looks surprisingly different!!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mikey2 wrote:
Martin F wrote:

What dont you like about them, i agree the looks compared to the mr2 are nothing, the mr2 looks a lot more 'sporty', however, the scooby has the performance and the comfort the 2 doesnt have, and back seats.
the fuel consumption is better too, i have done 100 miles on a tank and only used a bit over 1/4 tank.

Mine isnt running 286 though, the guy lied, a lot!!!! no idea what its putting out but with a leaky up pipe and headers, no ecu chip its not gonna be that great, prob maybe 240 ish.
I have taken the stickers off now, will put another pic of it up with no stickers, it looks surprisingly different!!

To be Honest i think it has alot to do with the engine, supposedly it's not very nice to work on, they are also quite common. I do however quite like the wrx sti, think they are around the 04 plate, lovely blue colour...
P.S. I don't drive a mr2 anymore, have moved over to the Evo clan :-$
mikey2

Post by mikey2 »

thats fair enough, to be honest, i have done some work on the engine, and its not too bad. I changed the turbo last night, wasnt really as bad as i thought it was gonna be, certainly quicker than changing the turbo on the mr2. i have had most of the wiring apart in the car, it wasnt too bad either.
the real pain on the earlier cars is the coil packs, to change the ones on the passenger side, the battery washer bottle and intercooler pipes have gotta come off. Its not too bad once you know what you are looking at!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Im surprised how many of you are claiming that Scoobies anihilate Tubbies. My Tubby is only lightly breathed on and I've never had any problems dusting off Imprezas. Never had a run in with a P1 or RA Spec C though so that might be a different matter. I test drove a 350bhp R32 GTR a couple of weeks ago looking to buy. I was left totally underwhelmed, 4WD transmission losses are an absolute killer. I drove the Skyline along the same stretch of road I'd just taken the MR2 down and the MR2 felt quicker.
Used to love Evos (in fact thats what I was looking for when I stumbled across the Tubby 6 years ago) but now much like the Scooby every f@&cker and his dog has had one and they do nothing for me.

The only models which I'd consider are the P1, 22B and maybe the RB320, the ones which are a bit rarer and a bit more special. Evo wise its only really the Tommi Makkinen edition for me, all the FQ blah blah blahs sound way too high maintenance for my liking.

My mate has just bought an 02 WRX and we're planning a bit of a drive out next weekend, there'll by my Tubby, his WRX, a modified Octavia VRS and a 350bhp Cavalier Turbo, should be a fun drive.

Return to “Driving Experiences”