Wheely Tough Dilema!!! SOLVED :-)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C50

Re: Wheely Tough Dilema!!! SOLVED :-)

Post by C50 »

equips =P~
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Well spent the entitre afternoon trying out all sort sorts of wheels - heeres the Blitz...

On the rear...

Lovely and flush...

Clears suspension fine...

And the fronts....

Clears caliper

They sit slightly proud n front but reckon you can get away with it - maybe a bit of a flare/wheel arch roll

RST

Post by RST »

Pro race 1.2's in white on yours for sure (or OZ superleggara's) -jobs a guddun :thumleft: The Blitz and the Work wheels look very "busy" to me with all those bolt heads sticking out. Cleaner lines is better for sure when it comes to wheels! Otherwise it'd be the Works wheels at a push for me.

..no accounbting for taste though LoL.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Richard - I'm not buying yet more wheels!!!! Ive got enough as it is - just trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of - just dont want to make a mistake Ill regret.

Just ran those blitz sizes through the gordeans mr2 specific wheel/tyre caculator and it says:

MR2 (mkii) Flushness:
Your proposed front wheel will be 3.35 mm farther out than flush (flush offset: 35.35).

Your proposed rear wheel will be 2.65 mm tucked in from flush (flush offset: 35.35).

which looks about right compared with my test fitment.
Chris

Post by Chris »

You can't really tell till you fit tyres and drop the car off the ramp. I've just fitted some Work Emotions to mine. 17x8 offset 35 on front and 17x9 offset 32 on rear. The test fit minus tyres looked like yours, but after fitting tyres 215/40/17 front. 255/40/17 rears, the fronts sit slightly proud and the rears slightly in. I reckon perfect would be offsets the other way round so 33 front and 35 rear. Gonna put some 3mm spacers on the back just to the wheels sit similar to the front.

Them blitz rims would look awesome with some stretched rubber =P~ =P~
C50

Post by C50 »

some negative camber in the front will sort that out
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

personally i like the first ones (lexus is 17"?) think they suit the car very well, the blitzs are a bit bling bling for me, and those works look like they've been lifted from an 80s ferrari
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

CM1GT wrote:personally i like the first ones (lexus is 17"?) think they suit the car very well
I agree, however after seeing this pic I'm now undecided LOL

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

C50

Post by C50 »

much better than the plain Lexus 8) :thumleft:

ps - what are you going to do with those gorgeous Equips?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Theyll most prob be up for sale too :-(
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

Thats a 7.5j et 32 16 with a 225/45/16 on the front and the rear is a 9j et35 with a 3mm spacer 17 with a 255/40/17 on. You can clearly see the camber tucking the wheel in on the rear. There is loads of room on the front also. They can still be pushed out more imo. I wanna get my arches rolled and a set of coilovers so i can set the ride height.
C50

Post by C50 »

Rahzel wrote:Thats a 7.5j et 32 16 with a 225/45/16 on the front and the rear is a 9j et35 with a 3mm spacer 17 with a 255/40/17 on. You can clearly see the camber tucking the wheel in on the rear. There is loads of room on the front also. They can still be pushed out more imo

i must disagree on pushing fronts out further :-k

here is a pic of 8j et35 with 225 on the fronts. They sit out proud from the front mud flaps and stick out past the front bumper.

Even on your pic you can see the bottom half of your wheel sticking out past the bumper already. Looks wrong imho and doesn't that cause funny steering on motorways.
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

Flush offset for the front with my wheel spec is et29 according to gordaen's mr2 calc. Your wheels are .5 of an inch bigger which is 12.7mm than mine.

And it drives fine on the motorway like that.

Also the bumper isn't inline with the top of the arch, they stick out further? How is the bottom of the wheel supposed to be inline with the bottom of the bumper?

Edit

Thats a 235/40/17 et 32 8j
C50

Post by C50 »

yup, it'll never be. That was just an example if you were to push them out even further.

8j et32 sticks past the whole bumper

i have 7j et32 and that looks much better imo. Your 7.5j et32 would be the limit i'd go for. Actually i've seen Rota D2s in 7.5j et35. I would prefer that. I just wouldn't push them out any further but guess it's each to their own.
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

Indeed each to there own mate :D

I'm just saying when i look at wheel specs and fitting i go by the top of the arch. I aim to get the wheel as flush to the lip of the arch as possible. I don't see what the front bumper has to do with it.

When i use the offset calc for my rear wheels it said that et35 would be over flush but as you can see with the 3mm spacer on the rear i could swap it for a 5mm and it would sit bang on i think.

I'm going to change my front 16" with a 17" 7.5 that i have with a 215 tyre and use spacers to get it to et 29 and see what it is like.

Granted i an still on stock ride height so rubbing isn't an issue but i do intend to fit coilovers soon so i can set the camber and ride height to accommodate the offset and tyre size.
C50

Post by C50 »

Indeed.

I go by my mud flaps, i'm quite picky and i hate it when they're out of line with them
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I took some pics of my Blitz today in order to sell them and starting to think I'm doing the wrong thing! LOL

Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Work Equip for the win :thumleft:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Tried a 215/40 tyre on today as reccomended by the Gordean calculator.

Gives quite a 'mean' look :-)

Think I'm going to go with Alumi-K though after seeing this LOL

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”