[Mk2] [Turbo] wideband sensor

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

willsmith

[Mk2] [Turbo] wideband sensor

Post by willsmith »

hi ive just bought a wideband lamba sensor and gauge but im not sure how far down the exhaust to fit it the instructions says 18inch but on turbo'd engine that are going to get very hot exhausts it says 36inch just wondering if anyone has had fitted one before i put mine in the wrong place many thanks will
GTS GAV

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] wideband sensor

Post by GTS GAV »

i have hurd the best place to fit the o2 sensor was just before you muffler/back box but i would think 18inch would be fine.

what wideband 02 sensor did you go for AEM?
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

i have just read my plx wideband 02 sensor instructions an it ses a min of 24" from the turbocharger so would think 30"-36" would be fine :thumleft:
willsmith

Post by willsmith »

hey thanks for the replys ive gone for a EMS sensor it comes with a weld-in boss so i will put it 30inch or so down i would rather it not get too warm and break im running a greddy t-67 so its probaly gona throw some heat out thanks again will
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I put my one in just behind the stock one, working very well and has been for months now.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Was down at a tuning shop last week with a mate who was getting a map and tuner welded in a bung - I'm pretty sure it was approx a meter - so, in line with the 36" mentioned.
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

lambdas are supposed to be hot. as long as its not some cheap poo sensor youve bought youll be fine
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Jim Galbally wrote:lambdas are supposed to be hot. as long as its not some cheap poo sensor youve bought youll be fine

it makes sense, they wouldnt have put the standard one 6 inches from the turbo if it wasnt safe to do so
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

imo the oem narrowband sensors arnt as fragile to extream heat as aftermarket wideband 02 sensors are, and also if the aftermarket 02 sensor is to close to a high heat source i.e the turbo it can give you un accurate readings,to get the most accurate readings from wideband its better to mount the sensor as far down the exhaust system as possible :thumleft:
Yas

Post by Yas »

My aem wideband sensor is in the stock location, when it heats up the readings go funny and the car runs crap(my ECU relies on the info from this sensor). The manual suggests placing it min 36" down the system so that is where i'm moving mine to. They made the sensor so best to go by their instructions :thumleft:
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

how was your aem wideband sensor wirred into your ecu buddy? are you running AEM ecu?
Yas

Post by Yas »

I'm running a HKS f-con v pro, there's an output signal on the AEM unit which is wired to the ecu. The standard sensor is longer in use on my set-up.
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

sounds like you need to use a more suitable sensor! either that or your EGTs are so high your valves are melting
Yas

Post by Yas »

Jim Galbally wrote:sounds like you need to use a more suitable sensor! either that or your EGTs are so high your valves are melting

:? Who's that to?
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

you mate. it sounds like the kit youve got comes with a very poor quality sensor. use a proper one and you should have no issues.
Yas

Post by Yas »

No mate i'm using a bosch sensor which is pretty decent! They do advise to place the sensor 36" downstream, they have their reasons for this and heat would be one. Why locate it near the turbo when they advise you not to? My garage installed mine noticed the problem and recommended moving it #-o Should have been installed in the right place to start with but hey ho.

They clearly state you will shorten the life of the sensor if you place it too close to the turbo, if it's avoidable avoid it! Would you agree?

Out of interest what would you class as a proper sensor?
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Jim Galbally wrote:you mate. it sounds like the kit youve got comes with a very poor quality sensor. use a proper one and you should have no issues.

you must not of read the thread properly buddy were talking about aftermarket 02 wideband sensors not the oem narrowband sensor
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

no i understand youre talking about a wideband sensor.

the limitatins you are describing is not a narrowband vs wideband discussion its a discussion on the quality of the sensor you are using.

the decent ones are not cheap mind you and normally people cant justify spending that sort of money unless theyre a professional mapper. most of the <£500 wideband kits come with crap sensors.

as for it being bosch, it doesnt matter who makes em, bosch do sensors costing tens of thousands of pounds as well as <100pound ones..
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

was just checking buddy, i no the discusion isnt about wideband v narrow was just under the impression that the aftermarket wideband sensors are more sensative to heat than the oem narrowband sensors, and also i would of thought that big profile companys like AEM supply a more than cappable 02 sensor
Last edited by GTS GAV on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yas

Post by Yas »

Jim the sensor AEM provide with their kit is upto the job, I was just pointing out and giving my opinion to the OP re his question of where he should position it. I can assure you my sensor ain't crap :lol:

You kinda threw me with 'your valves are melting' :?
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob

Return to “Modifications”