PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker!

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt_mr2t

Re: PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker!

Post by matt_mr2t »

Yes it's worth it as I wouldnt want 2 consoles if I can have 1.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

This isnt good new for Sony after they recently announced they were getting close to breaking even on the console.

Apparently even the slim still costs them money for each one sold.

Piracy wont help there!
Rev 3 GTS
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

It might actually help them sell more consoles. :-k
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

mr2daz wrote:It might actually help them sell more consoles. :-k

thats what happened with the xbox 1, didnt sell too wel and then it got hacked, upgradeable hdds and media center etc and they sold like hot cakes
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Yea i guess it could go either way.

They did well keeping it locked down till now anyway.
Rev 3 GTS
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Good thing for Homebrew/Emulators for those of us who still enjoy a blast on the old stuff once in a while but I still think Sony would find a way of banning peeps using a hacked machine wether it be running homebrew or pirated games, PS3 copies is a bit pointless considering the price of blanks and a writer though but they'll always be peeps who do it to save a few quid in the long run (another clever reason not to stick with DVD again). The only way I see it working would be to put the machine in offline mode and not connecting to the PSN and stop it (the PS3) collecting and sending info as to what it's actually doing/running (inc. in offline mode) but that would be a pointless solution to those wanting to play online.

It took Microsoft over 3 years to finally start banning peeps properly and it hasn't helped much because everyone with 360's has kept the banned machine to still pirate tons of games, They all bought cheap unbanned consoles off ebay and MW2 to just carry on playing that online so MS are still making money off yet more machines being sold and XBL subscriptions :mrgreen:

Sony should give some 3D hardware access when running Linux OS to keep the homebrew community happy tinkering a bit longer then I doubt hacking the PS3 OS would be as bigger goal.

..... Also now this chaps gone public how long before he disappears into thin air like Dark Alex :D
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

If they really wanna stop it they should start charging more reasonable money for games!

If games cost £20 - £25 when released I would buy so many more. As it is I tend to only buy 2nd hand copies long after release. £40, no matter what you say (some of you) is simply far too much.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Matt wrote

The PS3 cost a lot more when it had backward compatability, which no doubt hindered the early sales figures for the console. £425 at release which was, lets face it, about twice as much as people would like to spend on a games console and about £100 more than what they would actually spend on a console. Only the die hards, the cant waits and a few over earners got the early backwards compatible PS3's

Oukie wrote

Or Guy's with VERY generous GF's :lol:

;)
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

The hack has been released today but it's far from complete.

QUOTE:

It's no secret that the PlayStation 3 is the most secure gaming system ever created. Staying hack free until now is easy proof of that, something that cannot be said about its two competitors. "Xbox 360 was compromised owing to the unencrypted nature of the firmware on the original DVD drives," Leadbetter stated. "Wii was hacked because the system itself was so similar to the GameCube that when the old hardware was cracked, the new revision fell with it."

Sony, however, took things to another level. "Not only is the drive software itself encrypted, but it’s widely believed that the mandatory firmware updates can also reflash the Blu-ray drive too – even if the drive was hacked (it never has been) it would be re-secured next time you updated your PS3."

"Basically, I used hardware to open a small hole and then used software to make the hole the size of the system to get full read/write access," Geohotz told The Register. "Right now, although the system is broken, I have great power. I can make the system do whatever I want."

"In older systems, like the PSP, reverse-engineering code contained within that memory map was enough to find the decryption keys to game security and system software updates, and so the concepts of ISO loaders and custom firmware emerged," as Leadbetter put it.

Though he has successfully gained complete access to the entire system memory, Hotz himself has said that the hack is far from complete. The decryption keys are still safely tucked away in of the console's eight SPUs, guarded by several layers of security.

"Making matters difficult is the fact that Sony and IBM’s security protocols were created to anticipate a worst-case scenario, and assumed that at some point someone like Geohot would gain access in this way. So even more layers of security were added to the design," Leadbetter noted.

It's still not clear if the exploit can produce HEN, or homebrew enabler. There's also the question of cracking the system to be vulnerable to piracy. One thing's sure at the moment - the hack still has a long way to go and Sony has taken every step it can to protect the PS3.
James

Post by James »

One thing is for certain - this is a full hack of the whole system. Not like the 360 where its simply the DVD roms firmware that is hacked.

I wonder if he will go on to hacking the 360's security next.

Would be nice to add a homebrew media player with codecs that support MKV / H264 :!:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

James wrote:One thing is for certain - this is a full hack of the whole system. Not like the 360 where its simply the DVD roms firmware that is hacked.

I wonder if he will go on to hacking the 360's security next.

Would be nice to add a homebrew media player with codecs that support MKV / H264 :!:

u not been following the scene?
the 360 is hacked now, custom dash's play games from hdd (usb or external) media player is being worked on also :thumleft: i currently have 3 hacked ones
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

James wrote: codecs that support MKV / H264 :!:

Would be great on the PS3 instead of me having to spend hours converting to MP4
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

DannyN wrote:

Easier to install Linux and VLC.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Andy Jones wrote:
DannyN wrote:

Easier to install Linux and VLC.

Can't be done on the newer PS3s
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Scum Bags!!! Wasn't aware of that TBH, No doubt they were keeping a watchfull eye on the YDL forums and seeing everyone using them as a homebrew/wireless media station.

PS3 before launch:

1. Backwards Compatible.
2. Bootable Linux OS.
3. Free PSN.
4. Gran Turismo 5.

Today.

1. No!
2. No!
3. Not for much longer!
4. Gran what? :lol:

It's took a bit of a swan dive really :?
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

I've got a 60Gb \:D/

*off to look at putting linux on PS3
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

DannyN wrote:I've got a 60Gb \:D/

Me too, it don't switch on ](*,)
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

JohnnyC wrote:
DannyN wrote:I've got a 60Gb \:D/

Me too, it don't switch on ](*,)

Aaw shame, mine does. Just checked the YDL and it has to format my HDD first and theres loads of stuff on there.
Is there anyway to back it up first? or should I just continue to convert my mkv's into mp4's
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

You can back it up onto an external fat32 hdd.

Unfortunately you can't read the ps3 hdd on a ps3 as it's encrypted.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

DannyN wrote:Aaw shame, mine does. Just checked the YDL and it has to format my HDD first and theres loads of stuff on there.
Is there anyway to back it up first? or should I just continue to convert my mkv's into mp4's

Yup, You have to back up your current HDD to an external source and the PS3 will then ask you to partition the drive, Sony have limited it to 10gb for obvious reasons (10gb for either PS3 OS ot Linix OS regardless of HDD size and IIRC Linux install uses about 4gb of that space) but once installed, Linux has access to the PS3's built in card readers for accessing any other media/files via cards or additional external HDD's.

Return to “Games Consoles”