Should I Buy This MR2?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Leecifer

Should I Buy This MR2?

Post by Leecifer »

Hi Everyone,

So, I'm looking to get myself an MR2 2.0 GT T-Bar. I currently have a 2001 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Club with 72K Miles on the clock. A guy has offered to swap his 1996 Toyota MR2 2.0 GT T-Bar for my car and he'll give me an extra £300 on top. His MR2 currently has 128K Miles on the clock which seems scarily high to me.

I've taken it for a drive and it all seems nice except for a whining noise that comes from the engine during acceleration. He says that the cam belt, HT leads, brakes and calipers have recently been changed and it was serviced 6 months ago.

I was just wondering whether this sounds like a nice offer to you guys and what the engine noise might be?

Thanks,

Lee
willfinch36

Re: Should I Buy This MR2?

Post by willfinch36 »

128k isnt scarily high for a N/A is it?! its high yeah but ive seen higher!
Leecifer

Post by Leecifer »

I'm not sure to be honest, the thing concerning me the most is the whining/whistling noise coming from the engine. It changes in pitch with the acceleration. I've read that it might be something to do with the alternator or too many ground wires but not entirely sure.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Leecifer wrote:I'm not sure to be honest, the thing concerning me the most is the whining/whistling noise coming from the engine. It changes in pitch with the acceleration. I've read that it might be something to do with the alternator or too many ground wires but not entirely sure.

Does it only do it with the radio/stereo on?
Leecifer

Post by Leecifer »

The stereo was on when I test drove it, although the volume was right down. What are you thinking it might be?
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

Its the alternator bearings. Depending on how loud it is, beat him down on price. Theyre a common fault due to the design of the water tray dripping water on them. If its really loud and you get belt squeal when starting, get him to change it, but if its pretty quiet its up to you.

I bought mine with a bit of a whine and it ran for 2 years and 30,000 miles just fine before having to change it.
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Are you sure the whining is coming from the engine and not from the stereo speakers?
Interference from the alternator can cause a whining noise through the speakers when the radio is on.

You can check this by, erm, turning the radio off.
Usually wise during a test drive anyway.

Does the whine alter when you rev the engine up or when the actual road-speed increases?

If it alters with engine it could be belts or the alternator or a/c pump (assuming it's not actually a knackered engine).
If it alters with road speed it might be something as simple as a tyre catching on something or something as dodgy as a knackered gearbox.

Unless the owner could show me what the whine is I'd probably walk away.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Sorry for the highjack but kinda related - my '93 n/a started an annoying electical whining/crackling a couple of days back. Comes through the speakers even when the stereo is off!
Is on more or less constantly although sometimes stops on tickover. After a search or 3 i found this could be related to the power steering motor (car is going into the garage for them to look for a cracking noise from the steering) as it does seem to change pitch sometimes by turning the wheel. Guessing it could be the alternator too? Any other suggestions i could point them towards? Hate putting car into the garage - usually go DIY - but my weak point has always been finding the cause of problems and its too cold for my liking outside!
GDWMR2

Post by GDWMR2 »

PM to Leecifer
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Leecifer wrote:The stereo was on when I test drove it, although the volume was right down.

Never test drive a car with the stereo on :idea:
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”