[Mk2] [Turbo] Thinking of modifying my Buddy Club Spec II to add a Burns muffler

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sanchi

[Mk2] [Turbo] Thinking of modifying my Buddy Club Spec II to add a Burns muffler

Post by sanchi »

Hi,

I was thinking about chopping out the resonator/muffler part of the exhaust and adding a burns muffler in there to bring down the noise for track days.

Does anyone if the sound reduction would be worth while?

I have a forged engine with a blitz kkk k26 turbo chucking out 300bhp so it has very good compression and sound of the buddy club is very loud for track so want to try and reach the limit of 96db or as near as possible.

Also the point of me doing this is becuase I want to have a lightweight exhaust and keep it single exit. The Buddy Club only weighs around 7.4kg so is very light and reduces the weight at the back of the car hence why I am thinking of adding the burns muffler to it.

Thanks
Sanchi
cantfindausername

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Thinking of modifying my Buddy Club Spec II to add a Burns muffler

Post by cantfindausername »

Not really sure on this. Can you give me a link to the burns mufflers?

I'm in a similar position. Love my Dep2Pro, but A. want to get it remade in stainless, and B. need to make sure I hit noise regs.

Its the latter that I am thinking about getting a complete custom backbox made up. Not sure you're going to find a definitative answer on here to your question though.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
sanchi

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Thinking of modifying my Buddy Club Spec II to add a Burns muffler

Post by sanchi »

Hi Mate,

Yeah finding the right exhaust is trial and error its quite hard finding the one you want.

I thought I'd give it a try see if anyone has had any experience with how much of a db decrease people have had with burns muffler.

Thanks for your reply though. Heres the link..

http://www.burnsstainless.com/index.htm
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

If you're not doing the work yourself it might be worth dropping a line to a few custom fabricators that have done work on race cars/track cars. They should be used to working within the limits of the noise levels that tracks impose. This is the theory I'm taking and have just emailed a company around the corner from my tuner. Hoping that I can get the work done at the same time as a remap, killing 2 major birds with 1 stone.

Will report back when I get a response.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
sanchi

Post by sanchi »

Ill make a few calls too see if I can come up with something.

Cheers! :thumleft:
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Did this ever go anywhere?
sanchi

Post by sanchi »

Hi Jon,

No nothing happened because even after modifying it to put extra baffles/mufflers in the db level would not have been reduced that much so wasn't worth it. I was recommended at the db levels i wanted to just get an exhaust fabricated... (not from powerflow a motorsport company called simpson race exhausts) but they quoted me quite a lot of money and needed to keep the car for 2 weeks to make the exhaust.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Out of interest, how much is a "lot of money". I don't mind giving my car up for a few weeks...
sanchi

Post by sanchi »

Well... I wanted them to fabricate a turbo downpipe with an integrated screamer pipe and an exhaust.

They quoted me £700 for the exhaust and £300 to make the downpipe. The exhaust is guaranteed the life of the car and the baffling in the silencer is all repackage-able. At the time it was too expensive for me and as much as I want to get it done I can't just yet. You tell them what you want and they make it very safe and secure place.
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

dont even bother, i ended up spending about £3,000 on different exhaust solutions, most expensive option destroyed things, tried the burns silencer and packed it, took off about 3db.

just buy a fujisubo legalis r of ebay

Return to “Modifications”