[Mk2] [NA] Crossover box damage

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ayresyboy

[Mk2] [NA] Crossover box damage

Post by ayresyboy »

I have some Alpine Type R component speakers in the doors on my 2.

The crossover box sits inside the door behind the speaker.

After hearing distortion from the front right speaker I decided to investigate and found that the crossover box had become very wet and rusted due to what I can only guess is condensation.

I'm not sure if it is damaged. I have used some electrical spray and cleaned the connections to see if this will work. The left front speaker sounds fine so have not taken a look at it yet.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, how do you protect the crossover box? I have heard of people using sandwich bags...
ya_crow

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Crossover box damage

Post by ya_crow »

For some reason it's more cmmon for the drivers door to leak water. vaseline on the terminals will protect them from oxadising but a sandwich bag will probably fill with condensation if it's sealed. Prehaps place the bag over the crossover but leave the bottom opened for any water or condensation to drain freely?
ayresyboy

Post by ayresyboy »

Yeah, it's a mess under the doorcard, I will have to sort it all come summer time. Looks like box is damaged. Getting a distorted sound through :-(. Anyone know where I can buy just one Alpine SPS-171A crossover box?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

WD40 and taking it in and drying it might help the crossover, any alpine dealer should be able to get you a crossover, and you can mount the crossovers on the doorcard (in the pocket even) like I have which allows me to adjust the settings.

Return to “ICE and Security”