[Mk2] [Turbo] Coilovers have arived - with pics = possible group buy

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Vampire

[Mk2] [Turbo] Coilovers have arived - with pics = possible group buy

Post by Vampire »

I have been on the hunt for a set of cheap coilovers. now after alot of hunting around found a company in Japan that will sell me coilovers for £425 +£30 delivery!!!! much cheaper than any others.

well they arrived today.

they come with adjustable drop links aswel!!! which i was not expecting and an adjustable mounting ring.

will update what the ride is like when i get them on the car next week :thumleft:

If enought people are interested i might do a group buy on these, need 5 people minamum
Quigonjay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Coilovers have arived - with pics = possible group buy

Post by Quigonjay »

'cheap' and 'coilovers' should not be used in the same sentence
they will be cheap for a reason and what are you going to do when they break? send them back to japan?
good luck with them though
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

i say cheap as in the price with exchange rate etc.

there is a company selling these coilovers in the uk for £600 :thumleft: Im not saying they will be like 2k sets of coilovers you can get, but then unless your a racing driver do you really need a set of 2k suspension? [-(
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Vampire wrote:i say cheap as in the price with exchange rate etc.

there is a company selling these coilovers in the uk for £600 :thumleft: Im not saying they will be like 2k sets of coilovers you can get, but then unless your a racing driver do you really need a set of 2k suspension? [-(

yes or your teeth may all fall out!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Bet they are just the usual taiwan/china junk coilovers which i'm just gonna take a quote from someone who actually knows about suspension.

Jim-SR wrote:

that wasnt a generalisation on ALL industries, that was a very specific comment on dampers. Taiwanese and Chinese production is improving all the time, and youre right, most stuff gets outsourced now anyway. but that simply isnt the case with dampers, which is what i am talking about.

European brands, and American brands too, such as Ohlins, Koni, KW, Bilstein, Penske, Dynamics/Multimatic, Sachs, JRZ, GAZ, etc all utilise European/American design, development and manufacture. the quality is high, sometimes so are the prices.

D2, KSport, Megan, F2, G4, HSD, BC Racing, etc are all designed, "developed" (i say it in inverted commas because there isnt any car-specific testing and development, which is why the damping is so poor) and manufactured in Taiwan and China. the problems arent a function of poor manufacturing standards, which is what you have read into my comments. they are a function of the people designing them having no idea what damping a car requires for good performance, comfort and durability, and targeting profits over quality. the top European and American brands have a long history in dampers, and that is the difference in quality and performance.

the easiest way to summarise it is to say that a UK company could make a television, and a Taiwanese company could make one that was just as good. but if a Taiwanese company tried to build a Formula 1 car the same as the Brawn GP from this season they would fail, miserably. the reason being that there is decades of knowledge and experience behind the success of an F1 team, and the same applies to the components on the car (e.g. dampers in this case). you cant just manufacture something based on simple ideas and visual appearance and expect it to perform the same as the products from companies that have been doing it for decades at the highest levels of motorsport (which is where pretty much ALL of the major development occurs). what kind of serious motorsport does Taiwan have?

/rant over :lol:
phipck

Post by phipck »

you will have issues with the droplinks as they are mounted the wrong side of the adjustable bracket. much like k-sport you cant mount them on the inside of the bracket.

if the links are too short you will suffer the same problem i had where at full lock the pressure pulling on the bracket pops it loose as the links are too short. the only solution is to use standard length droplinks and mount the bracket at the correct height in the hope it works, i removed my adjustable droplinks which couldnt go long enough.

k-sport with standard length droplinks would still pop the collar though

but hsd with standard length droplinks work correctly :thumleft:

Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

As a general observation, the quality of chinese stuff has improved greatly in the last couple of years.

If a chinese company is copying an existing product they usually make a pretty decent job of it.
The problem is that they don't usually understand how the thing they're making really works.
As a result, if the item is a new design, or even a modified version of an existing product, it's anybody's guess whether it'll work as intended.

If these shocks are a direct copy of an existing product they'll probably be as good as the original item was though.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Si_Crewe wrote:As a general observation, the quality of chinese stuff has improved greatly in the last couple of years.

If a chinese company is copying an existing product they usually make a pretty decent job of it.
The problem is that they don't usually understand how the thing they're making really works.
As a result, if the item is a new design, or even a modified version of an existing product, it's anybody's guess whether it'll work as intended.

If these shocks are a direct copy of an existing product they'll probably be as good as the original item was though.

Ive heard the XYZ coilovers that 3s service centre sell are meant to be good, I think im going to try a set of them, im worried with these ones what the ride quality would be like.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

give me a week or so to get these on the car and setup by a racing shop near to me.

then i can give you soem feedback on ride quality, easy of fitment, and there opinion and they fit suspension systems all day long. :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Vampire wrote:give me a week or so to get these on the car and setup by a racing shop near to me.

then i can give you soem feedback on ride quality, easy of fitment, and there opinion and they fit suspension systems all day long. :thumleft:

get the damping and rebound rates checked before fitting them.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Why do these have adjustable drop links and adjustable mounting rings?? :-k Surely it should be one or the other?
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Nickp wrote:Why do these have adjustable drop links and adjustable mounting rings?? :-k Surely it should be one or the other?

They probably made the adjustable droplinks first.

It'll be cheaper to give you a set of unneccesary adjustable droplinks with the shocks rather than tool-up to manufacture a new set of unadjustable ones to go with those shocks.

Besides, people like twiddly bits so it adds to the perceived value of the product.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

these are now fitted and done 500 miles on them, for the money they have been great, the ride isnt much worse than the standard shocks and lowering springs.

i had to take the adjustable rods off and put standard length 1's on, been fine so far. :thumleft:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

if anyone gets a set of these, send 1 front & 1 rear to me and i'll get them dyno'd and i'll be able to give you an accurate answer as to whether they are junk or not!
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

dam, wish i had sent you them b4 fitting could have got them tested for free, lol

Return to “Mechanical”