[Mk2] [Generic] Wheel fitting questions

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hkwc104

[Mk2] [Generic] Wheel fitting questions

Post by hkwc104 »

Having used the search function and read various extended wheel stud posts I haven't quite been able to find the answer I'm looking for so was wondering if someone can help me?

I've just bought a set of SSR Integral A2 wheels, front 16x7 et 32, rears 16x8 et 38. Does anyone know if I will need extended wheel studs to fit these wheels?

From what I've read, some people have said that it depends on the number of turns the nuts need before they are torqued but there's some disagreement on how many turns are needed for the wheels to be safely secure. Also, I'm not quite sure what consitutes a turn - is it simply the nut rotating 360 degrees or is it measured in another way?
Last edited by hkwc104 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Wheel fitting questions

Post by Ryan S »

i doubt you will, i had 18" rx8 wheels which were ET50, i had to use spacers and extended wheel studs, with et32/38 i think you will be fine :thumleft:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Should be fine,my 1st wheels were 16x7 front 30 et and 16x8 rear 38et and all was good.

P :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
hkwc104

Post by hkwc104 »

Thanks guys, will trial fit them over the weekend. Fingers crossed I won't need extended studs.

Can anyone confirm what constitutes a "turn" when fitting the wheels nuts?
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

hkwc104 wrote:Thanks guys, will trial fit them over the weekend. Fingers crossed I won't need extended studs.

Can anyone confirm what constitutes a "turn" when fitting the wheels nuts?

Start turning the wheel nut so that it just starts to thread on the stud, then count how may full 360 degree turns you get till it is completely tightened down.

On the type of studs that the Mk2 MR2 uses (ie. M12x1.5) you will be fine with 6.5 turns or above.

Remember you will often get another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more when the wheel nut is fully torqued down using a torque wrench set to the correct torque setting over being just lightly tightened.

Hope that helps :thumleft:
hkwc104

Post by hkwc104 »

Return to “Modifications”