fuel smell

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shaggy

fuel smell

Post by shaggy »

:?: when driving with window open r u suppose to smell fuel ?just wondered as this is my first mr2 and thought maybe it was cos its a mid engine car ?can any one advise me if this is a problem or normal ..many thanks shaggy :? :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Re: fuel smell

Post by PW@Woodsport »

mk1? mk2? mk3?
Alex O

Post by Alex O »

I have a Mk 2, Rev 3 Turbo (1994) and also get this. Would greatly appreciate some info on what the cause may be if it's not supposed to happen. My local Toyota main dealer was particularly unhelpful!!

Cheers
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Just been out for a blast in my bro's Rev3. We hits some heavy right handers... mainly roundabouts. There was a massive smell of petrol in the cabin. Got to work, and it turns out that fuel has travelled up the filler neck, and out the cap. I'd recommend checking this.
shaggy

Post by shaggy »

cantfindausername wrote:Just been out for a blast in my bro's Rev3. We hits some heavy right handers... mainly roundabouts. There was a massive smell of petrol in the cabin. Got to work, and it turns out that fuel has travelled up the filler neck, and out the cap. I'd recommend checking this.

cheers mate i have a rev 2 jeg turbo there dont seem to be any leekage so will go to millway in andover and ask ..they r mr2 owner club approved so may have sum luck there ...thanks
shaggy

Post by shaggy »

Alex O wrote:I have a Mk 2, Rev 3 Turbo (1994) and also get this. Would greatly appreciate some info on what the cause may be if it's not supposed to happen. My local Toyota main dealer was particularly unhelpful!!

Cheers
will let u know how it goes .. :D
Alex O

Post by Alex O »

Cheers, look forward to hearing the solution.....
m3

Post by m3 »

I have a really bad smell of petrol with windows open, Mk1 1985. Only thing the Haynes says is clean the charcoal filter, or replace it. The smell is so bad that I have to close the windows even on a hot day. It smells like a leak, but I can't find one. :(
stevel

Post by stevel »

m3 wrote:Only thing the Haynes says is clean the charcoal filter, or replace it. :(

might be worth trying that then :wink:
System-G

Post by System-G »

m3 wrote:I have a really bad smell of petrol with windows open, Mk1 1985. Only thing the Haynes says is clean the charcoal filter, or replace it. The smell is so bad that I have to close the windows even on a hot day. It smells like a leak, but I can't find one. :(

Hi mate.

You will need to change the breather filter. You can see it in the photo below. It's the white thing attached by a bracket to the chassis rail just below and to the left of the fuel filter and has the breather hose attached to outlet side. Make sure you re-fit the hose to the rail inlet.

HTH :thumleft:
Last edited by System-G on Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

:wink:
m3

Post by m3 »

I thought the charcoal filter was as big as the fuel filter, with three pipes connected. Hanyes says blow compressed air through to clean it. The white one in your pic is a lot smaller with only 2 pipes. Are there 2 charcoal filters. Someone told me you can remove the filter completely and it is an emission control device not needed by law yet. Thanx :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Uk mk1s dont have a charcoal cannister,the haynes manual is USDM relevant hence why it shows a mk1 as having a charcoal cannister,id largely ignore the haynes manual as a lot of it is USDM....well its all USDM but some of it is the same as UK spec,the secret is knowing what.
System-G

Post by System-G »

m3 wrote:I thought the charcoal filter was as big as the fuel filter, with three pipes connected. Hanyes says blow compressed air through to clean it. The white one in your pic is a lot smaller with only 2 pipes. Are there 2 charcoal filters. Someone told me you can remove the filter completely and it is an emission control device not needed by law yet. Thanx :)

OOopps my bad - momentary lapse of confusion... It's deffo the breather valve/filter as mentioned in my post above that would need changing. The Charcoal filter is what Paul said 8)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220

Return to “Mechanical”