Lovely Early MK1 For Sale....

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveM

Lovely Early MK1 For Sale....

Post by SteveM »

I've just come across this MK1a for sale on 'Pistonheads' which looks like a lovely example. I'm sure I saw the same car for sale 2-3 years ago (probably when the current owner bought it) but from memory the asking price was a lot less than it is now, possibly half the current asking price, it was on ebay if I remember correctly? Having said that how long would it take to find another one in the same condition and with such a low mileage? I'm sure it was a 1 or 2 owner car when it was for sale last time.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1446215.htm
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: Lovely Early MK1 For Sale....

Post by Charged »

I believe a chap called Ian owned this, (iansumuk?) and he went over to smart roadster (?) ownership. Great car if it is the same one, I remember it well from JAE 2006 (or was is 2007?)
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Seven thousand of the queens pounds? :shock: It's nice but it isn't that nice.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This car was featured in practical classics ages ago I think, as I bought it especially for the feature!

Yeah its nice, but you can get a lot more for you money with £7k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yep, like 2 or 3 mint condition Mk1's for starters.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Ollie's right - it was previously Ian's car (at least as far as I remember too!) and looked stunning whenever I saw it. Yep, had a good magazine feature on it too.
It is low mileage, but I'd be concerned about the condition of rubber bushes etc. I love it, but I also think £7k is a bit much! (though I have noticed Mk1 prices seem to be going up a little now - or at least asking prices - which is nice)

But hey, in the end, it's only worth as much as someone will pay for it. If he sells it for that much, good for him. If he doesn't get any offers, then I guess he will reduce the price accordingly (perhaps it's worth that much to him and he won't sell it for less). I do know that when it was last sold, it was sold for less though!
jimi

Post by jimi »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:I believe a chap called Ian owned this, (iansumuk?) and he went over to smart roadster (?) ownership. Great car if it is the same one, I remember it well from JAE 2006 (or was is 2007?)

Yes that's Ian's car, he was only the 2nd owner, the original owner was in his 70's.
Ian PM'd me when he got the chance of it and asked me what I thought, told him to rip the guys arm off :lol:
It had never been touched, absolutely original, garaged all it life, serviced at the same dealers since new.
Here it is at JAE 2006, looked like it had just left the showroom.

�7000 :shock: bit much
Last edited by jimi on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iansumuk

Post by iansumuk »

And here I am!

Yes, it was my one. I did sell it to Lee on a "buy-in-now" ebay auction. I also offered it up for sale on here first. The history with the car shows that it was serviced by St. Leonards Motors in Hastings, from new, throughout it's life. And in fact I had a rubber bush or two replaced, and that dealer gave me the life-time service discount that they promised for the car when new...I don't think they expected it to last so long! 35% discount on all parts and labour, a bargain!

It was faultless, as I'm sure it still is. Even original radio. And it was one of the very first UK cars on the road, the chap purchased it from the Birmingham motor show where they did a launch event on it. He got blue because in the queue to sign up for one he noticed everyone ordering the alternative silver (iirc), so he just blurted out "blue" to be different. The colour was not popular and discontinued just three months later, which makes it rarer.

He originally purchased it for his wife. She used it for three years but sadly died. He kept the car in her memory, just taking it out for the odd run round the block, and polishing it every Sunday. But serviced according to schedule. In year 18 they finally decided it needed a new set of tyres because the side-walls were cracking! He used a Merc for his own use, so this car was sentimental value only. He moved into a old peoples home and the car had to go.

What I paid, and what Lee paid is irrelevant. It's what it's worth now that matters. If you want a mk1a, not restored, 100% genuine, then you don't have much choice!

I have loads more pictures and the article. If anyone is seriously interested then drop me a line.

For the record, I went to over to the Smart Roadster Brabus Coupe, which I loved enough to write a site all about it: www.roadstermodelguide.co.uk. But I always secretly wanted a Lotus Elise. Now I'm over at SELOC with my Lotus Elise, which I also love, but one day I'll be able to afford to run a Smart too. I still advise people who want a good little sports car to try and find an MR2 MK1. I tell them to avoid the MK2 (sorry but I didn't like my mk2). If they have more money, I advise the Smart Roadster. And if they want a cheaper Lotus, that is still a Lotus, then the VX220.

And thanks for attracting my attention to this.

Finally, the reason I sold? I never really used it. I ran around in a MK2 instead. This car went into my garage, was polished a lot, taken to the odd show, but stood idle. Driving it was sort of a pleasure, but I was always worried about picking up a stone chip! Since then, I've driven my cars just for pleasure, I don't worry too much about the odd chip on my Elise - it's more about driving. Having a show car wasn't for me.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

iansumuk wrote: I still advise people who want a good little sports car to try and find an MR2 MK1. I tell them to avoid the MK2 (sorry but I didn't like my mk2).

I always knew you were on of the good guys :mrgreen:

Thanks for popping in and giving us the history of the car, I am glad to see that it is still in great nick and hopefully it stays this way for a long time to come :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
iansumuk

Post by iansumuk »

I uploaded all my old pictures should anyone be interested, but remember these pictures are three years old! I haven't seen the car since. I took the wheels off just to clean behind, it was the only place I could find something to clean!

http://gallery.me.com/iansumuk#100549
MartG

Post by MartG »

iansumuk wrote:The colour was not popular and discontinued just three months later,

TBH I'd love one that colour [/girlie mode]

IMHO £4 - 5K would be nearer the mark
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'd agree with that, about £4-5K IMHO.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Yeah If I had the cash I would give 5k :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”