[Mk2] [Turbo] more torque??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alan wheeldon

[Mk2] [Turbo] more torque??

Post by alan wheeldon »

What is the best way to get more torque out of the car (1992 3sgte)

I am going to be rebuilding my engine eventually and am not too bothered about the top end speed but more interested on how to get upto speed. If that makes sence :)

I have a lighter flywheel at the moment but thats about it. Would a smaller turbo be better so it produces less turbo lag, ie. the CT26 over the CT20. Can you get rid of turbo lag altogether??

What about engine mods, what would you need to do to produce more torque, is it mainly cylinder head work which would need changing??

I know how to get the high bhp figures with forged internals, bigger turbo, larger fuel injectors etc... but im not sure on the whole torque subject.

Any pointers would be great :)
tranx

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] more torque??

Post by tranx »

BHP, to simplify horribly is revs x torque so to get big power you end up with either more revs or more torque.

Bigger turbo and bigger injectors etc will bump torque up nicely. However you seem to be more worried about turbo lag and throttle response. A smaller lighter turbo, head work, cams and an over-bore would be lag free ways of increasing power. Basically N/A tuning but with a smallish turbo as well. Light weight flywheel, conrods, crank etc will help pickup but at the expense of low speed drivability.

Lighter wheels and overall weight reduction through the car will increase acceleration greatly and also help with braking and handling.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

alan wheeldon wrote:What is the best way to get more torque out of the car (1992 3sgte)

I am going to be rebuilding my engine eventually and am not too bothered about the top end speed but more interested on how to get upto speed. If that makes sence :)

I have a lighter flywheel at the moment but thats about it. Would a smaller turbo be better so it produces less turbo lag, ie. the CT26 over the CT20. Can you get rid of turbo lag altogether??

What about engine mods, what would you need to do to produce more torque, is it mainly cylinder head work which would need changing??

I know how to get the high bhp figures with forged internals, bigger turbo, larger fuel injectors etc... but im not sure on the whole torque subject.

Any pointers would be great :)

I think you first need to understand the relationship between torque and bhp. If you produce more torque, then you will produce more power, then the higher the revs that your engine makes the torque the higher the power.

Im guessing you are wanting a more mid-range power, ie not having to thrash it to the red line.

The ct20 is actually smaller than the ct26 I believe, but a better design. A fairly small ball bearing turbo would be good, like the GT28RS.
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Also stock cams and a ST205 CC for low down torque :thumleft:
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

V6 conversion
ggrice

Post by ggrice »

eRATic wrote:V6 conversion

+1 the man wants 'no lag'

V6 would be his best option. Another way to do it would be to fit a supercharger, however given the amount of successful V6 conversions going around then that would be a more easier route.

There is of course the old saying:
"If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!"
Marf

Post by Marf »

If you want more torque than a 3SGTE, why on earth would you fit a nasp V6? Don't all the V6's available produce less torque in standard form than any turbo?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Marf wrote:If you want more torque than a 3SGTE, why on earth would you fit a nasp V6? Don't all the V6's available produce less torque in standard form than any turbo?

Yeah i think 3.0 is around 180lbs, which is loads less then a 3sgte with bolt ons.

Return to “Modifications”