[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch questions with new turbo

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wadeski

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch questions with new turbo

Post by wadeski »

hey chaps,

my rev3 tubby is going in to Pacific Works next week to fit a TD06 kit, upgraded fuelling, and PowerFC. It currently sports a chargecooler, decat, exhaust, cold plugs and EBC.

I'm a little concerned about the clutch. At the moment running ~270bhp and similar torque it is absolutely fine, however, the new turbo should push the tq at the wheels to 300 - maybe more.

I dont want to strip the stock clutch to the bone in the first 100 miles, so was wondering how other people got on with their stock clutches at around 300wtq?

Its a fairly pricey job to buy and fit a decent aftermarket clutch (even just an Exedy sports one / red box), and seems a bit daft to ask Luke to see how worn it is, as that involves most of the work in changing it.

what's the IMOC "hive mind" opinion?
simpson_eh

clutch

Post by simpson_eh »

im still running my stock clutch at last dyno was running 287.5 bhp at fly and 315ib of torque not sure how long it will last but been a good six months already
sjm1984

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch questions with new turbo

Post by sjm1984 »

anything over 300 hp/lb of power the stock clutch will give up the ghost.

i run 328hp and 305 torque and the stock clutch gave up. what would you expect from a 14 year old clutch anyway :lol:

I upgraded to a clutch that was recommended to by a company called competition clutch and gearbox motorsport.

i paid about £250 for it and got luke to fit it for me.

not had a problem with it at all in the last 3 months

Return to “Mechanical”