The Future Of Gaming...

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

platmatt8

The Future Of Gaming...

Post by platmatt8 »

I`ve been reading a lot of hype recently.

What started me thinking was a topic on here about what the next gen consoles might be like, I`m an xbox fanboy so naturally i`ll defend them but i`m sorry to say with the in built blu ray player ps3 has got us licked for now.

But.. after reading a lot of articles it`s not going to be about data storage i.e whos ROMs can hold the most or whos got the biggest hard drives, this stuff is insignificant as it`s an easy plug and play excerise for ms or sony to upgrade, Also developers use their own graphic engines so it`s not the console fault for poor picture resolution.

The future is 3D gaming, the next gen TV`s are soon to be released and with this it`ll bring a whole new chapter to the gaming comunity imagen a 1st person shooter and you really feel like your that :shock:

You heard it 1st here :thumleft:
StevieL

Re: The Future Of Gaming...

Post by StevieL »

You could just join the army n do it for real, theres nothing like feeling a round wizz past your head haha!

You can even try n dig a hole in the ground with your spoon while being shot at, try doing that in your living room while playing COD7 :lol:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

You've got a few years left yet before 3D tellies, much less gaming, becomes anything like mainstream. It may happen or it may not: This isn't the first time 3D has been touted as the next big thing, even if the tech is more advanced now. I'm far more interested to see what Natal and the Wand bring to the party, and whether they'll become something truly must-have or another gizmo for kids like the Wii.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

The next big step for games is going to be the removal of the hand held controller.

Well it is on xbox.
Rev 3 GTS
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

SamUK wrote:The next big step for games is going to be the removal of the hand held controller.

Well it is on xbox.

that'll never work.

Natal will not be as good as they've said, the technology just isn't there yet
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

It is and has been for a few years.

MS bought 3DV the makers of the zcam.

Check out some demos on youtube. It works fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t52gkAwJq8 - and thats from 2008 before a multi billion dollar company started doing R&D.
Rev 3 GTS
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

We shall see, If it works like the ms adverts i will be blown away but it won't be that slick for sure
monkeyminger

Post by monkeyminger »

samsung already have a a 3D ready tv (uses similar tech to imax)out and a rumer sky is workin on a box.think thats where i would put my money :thumleft:
Azz

Post by Azz »

Philips have a 3DTV, we had one demo'ed at work. Quite good but you only have a small viewing angle and it was about £5K IIRC (this was last year)
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

They can't make HD televisions that last very long. I can't see us getting reliable quality 3D pictures for a while.

Gaming is heading far to close to realism. If I want real I go outside.
Azz

Post by Azz »

nakamura wrote:Gaming is heading far to close to realism. If I want real I go outside.

But if you wanted to play Mirrors Edge you would get killed :mrgreen:

I think it wont be long before you get a 3D wrap around screen to go over your head. now that would be cool.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

nakamura wrote:They can't make HD televisions that last very long. I can't see us getting reliable quality 3D pictures for a while.

How long do they last?
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Had mine going on 5 years now so they cant be that bad.
Rev 3 GTS
fizz

Post by fizz »

SamUK wrote:Had mine going on 5 years now so they cant be that bad.

I hope mine dies after 4 and a half years ownership as i got 5 years cover thrown in it for next to nothing! :whistle:
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

#-o i pay monthly insurance on mine.

Wouldnt mind a new TV. :lol:

Ill have to look it up and see what "accidents" are covered.

Thing is with LCDs, theres only about 4 things inside to make them work. Makes them easy to fix.

I blew the power on it a few years ago and they came out and bolted in a new PSU in seconds.
Rev 3 GTS
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

SamUK wrote:#-o i pay monthly insurance on mine.

Wouldnt mind a new TV. :lol:

Ill have to look it up and see what "accidents" are covered.

Thing is with LCDs, theres only about 4 things inside to make them work. Makes them easy to fix.

I blew the power on it a few years ago and they came out and bolted in a new PSU in seconds.

sisters lcd went wrong after a few weeks the screen was all red and green, technition fitted a new mobo type part in under 5mins and it was working again lol
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I know old CRT TV's would generally last a generation, but tbh, if I get 5 years out of my TV I would be happy with that. It gets used a lot and, unlike old school CRT TV's, mine will no doubt be completely outdated once it's 5 years old.

As for waiting for 3D gaming - you can have it now as far as I'm aware. There is equipment out there to make your PC games 3D IIRC. Some one more educated in the Dark Side (PC Gaming) will confirm this I'm sure.
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

SamUK wrote:The next big step for games is going to be the removal of the hand held controller.

Well it is on xbox.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read an article that stated the Star Trek holodeck was actually real and powered by an Xbox 360 the size of a small 3 bedroom house
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

You dont need a wrap around television to fit on your head, only a helmet with lcd glasses and sensors so the 360 knows when you turn your head left it rotates left through the glasses.

In theory its incredibly easy as its just replacing the standard controller and calibrating the helmet to detect movement.

With Guitar hero, Wii, wii fit, tony hawks etc etc you'd have thought it would now be sooner rather than later

Check it: http://www.gadgetreview.com/2008/04/xbo ... -more.html

.....shame it was an April fools joke!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Martian_333 wrote:

Well it is on xbox.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read an article that stated the Star Trek holodeck was actually real and powered by an Xbox 360 the size of a small 3 bedroom house

If I owned a Star Trek holodeck I dont think I would ever leave.
"Activate program 1: Megan Fox, Naked"

Bye bye world!

Return to “Games Consoles”