The car had died>>>> AGAIN....

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BennyTheW

The car had died>>>> AGAIN....

Post by BennyTheW »

Just put a second hand alt in last week and all has been running well,

Been doing the commute with no problems...

Took her out for the first blast with the new alt and it looks like it has failed on me... gutted...

The only strange thing was i didnt get any warning lights, just a slow decline of the battery followed by the car conking out at the end of my road (annoyingly just 100m from my drive)

Im starting to get a bit annoyed with all this, just makes me want to get a newer car...

Should i get another alt or am i maybe looking at another problem...??

Thanks in advance.. Ben...
System-G

Re: The car had died>>>> AGAIN....

Post by System-G »

Get one of your failed alternators refurbished - only costs about £30 and then it's as good as new :thumleft:

But your latest symptoms don't sound like the alternators failed - because you'd ordinarily get the warning lights.

Sounds like power has be lost completely. Was it dark? did you have any other electricals on that looked/sounded like they drained?

Do you have an imobaliser?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The alternator is probably okay, but how old is the battery? Has it got any distilled water left in it?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:The alternator is probably okay, but how old is the battery? Has it got any distilled water left in it?

yep ^^^ check this.

Also it maybe something simple, are both plugs on the alternator? and is the belt tight.
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Hi Ben,

Once you have done all the above a simple check would be to put a volt metre across the battery, 1st with the engine off and again with it running or at fast idle to see what the alt is putting out.
It should say 12volts ish off and 14volts ish running. Thats what mine says anyway.
Bod

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”