graphics card help..

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

H3RB

graphics card help..

Post by H3RB »

im upgrading my pc soon to an amd phenom II x4 965 and want a new card to go with it, im currently using 2 8800gts's in sli the new mobo i have ordered supports BOTH crossfire and sli so i can go either way. should i keep my 8800s gts's untill the new direct x11 cards drop in price or do i buy 3 ati 5770's and tri fire them? so i have a decent direct x 11 system for a cheap price? or any other suggestions?
i have a 1100psu so power shouldnt be a problem especially with the new 5000 series as they have low power consumption. any help is great :thumleft:
Martian_333

Re: graphics card help..

Post by Martian_333 »

No mate, a single 5870 is more than enough - I can tell you from first hand experience as thats whats in the room next door!

If you get one you'll get Dirt 2 free (unless they stopped that promo now, dont think so though) and it really does look amazing, totally different league to Forza 3 from the graphics and the rally tracks are awesome.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

been lookin most the night and decided to get the 5870, gonna go with xfx tho as their warrenty covers modding and its life time :thumleft: £320 is pretty good 2 and you can also crossfire them with the 5970 so its technically 3 5870's on 2 cards :twisted: might aswell go for dx 11 instead of wasting money on more dx10 cards and have to upgrade again soon...
Joey

Post by Joey »

I'd never buy another XFX product. Bought a XFX GTX260 when i built myself a new PC, assembled everything fired it up. Queue loud knocking noise, quickly found the problem, dodgy fan on the graphics card. Phoned Scan and arranged to RMA the card, back it went and i phoned up to see what the progress was, Scan had tested it and confirmed it was faulty. Great i said so you'll be sending the replacement card out today ?
No.
What ? We have to send the card back to XFX for them to agree there's a fault and authorize a replacement. It'll take 7-10 days.
WTF ?????
There was no reasoning with them, in the end i told them just to give me my money back (another handling) and i bought a non XFX card off Amazon.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

yeah apparently it can take a month some times to get a card back from rma BUT i think id rather wait then have a dead card eg: my mate has a 4870x2 bought brand new off ebay start of this year. it died 3 days ago now he's stuck with a dead card. he's on his way over so we can bake it then re paste it etc and if that dont work then its £200 down the drain. i can live with a 4 week wait especially as its a lifetime modder friendly warrenty
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Where you getting the card from bud? I bought the Sapphire one 3 days after it came out - lucky because stock now is quite poor.

I got my entire rig from www.overclockers.co.uk

highly recommended :thumleft:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

yeah been looking on overclockers.co.uk but its out of stock atm. might wait till jan and see if they do a sale lol. i remember when the 6600gt came out (yearsssss ago) i bought it for £300 but boxing day it dropped to £150 so i took it back with and they refunded me the £150 lol
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

lol result!

Yeh waitings a good idea, the new nvidia card(s) might be out then too which will help with prices

Return to “Games Consoles”