the differences between a mk1a and a mk1b

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

i got boost

the differences between a mk1a and a mk1b

Post by i got boost »

hi i am looking at getting a mk1 but what are the differences between a mk1a and a mk1b
Thanks
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: the differences between a mk1a and a mk1b

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Have a look at the post just above by Jinxy, all the info's in there mate. :thumleft:
i got boost

Post by i got boost »

Doh! cheers mate :)
jnoiles

Post by jnoiles »

I looked there and it's done nothing but confuse the hell out of me. Examples below:

* MK1a has metal (some plastic *P.W.) lower front spoiler, mk1b is plastic. Also MK1a has different front panels.

Mine has a plastic lower front spoiler indicating it might be a mk1b

* Mk1a had “triangle” alloys, Mk1b has “teardrop” alloys. MK1a 5.5J & MK1b 6J , so MK1b are slightly wider. ( cheers MartG)

I've got teardrops so more evidence of mk1b-ness. But wait!

* MK1a had two tone seats, Mk1b are single coloured.

Mine has two tone seats. Hmm.

* MK1a has no glove box key lock, Mk1b does.

And mine has a lockable glovebox. Hmm again.

* Mk1a headlights don’t rise on the first switch position, they don’t have dim/dip, so its side lights only. Mk1b lights do rise on the first position & operate in dim / dip mode with side lights.

My headlights behave like a mk1a as indicated above.

* Mk1a interiors ( excluding seats, headlinings & sunroof cover ) were all black.

Yup, all black here.

* The air vents at either end of the dash on a MK1a have silver center knobs, MK1b had black only.

My air vents have silver centre knobs which indicates mk1a

* Cam covers have “16 VALVE” in blue on a MK1a, on a MK1b this is in red.

Mine are red indicated a mk1b

* MK1a has smaller clutch (200mm) MK1b has larger clutch (212mm)

Having just replaced it and bought a 200mm one that doesn't fit I can say for certain that my clutch is 212mm and so indicates mk1b

So have I bought a franken-mk1 made up of bits of both or was there a crossover period for some of these things? It's registered as a 1986 model and it's not indicated as an import so I've no idea what's going on. Anyone got a rational explanation?

:?:

cheers
Jason
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

most likely a crossover, they do exist!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

they had to use up the old parts somehow, so some cars got a bit of both :thumleft:
jimi

Post by jimi »

* MK1a had two tone seats, Mk1b are single coloured.

Mine has two tone seats. Hmm.

Could have been changed by a previous owner or could be correct

* Mk1a headlights don’t rise on the first switch position, they don’t have dim/dip, so its side lights only. Mk1b lights do rise on the first position & operate in dim / dip mode with side lights.

My headlights behave like a mk1a as indicated above.

There is a mod to to this, again could have been done by a previous owner

* Mk1a interiors ( excluding seats, headlinings & sunroof cover ) were all black.

Yup, all black here.

1b's with black interiors are common, mine is black

* Cam covers have “16 VALVE” in blue on a MK1a, on a MK1b this is in red.

Mine are red indicated a mk1b

Crossover cars could be either, I've seen 87's with blue and red writing, or the engine could have been changed

* MK1a has smaller clutch (200mm) MK1b has larger clutch (212mm)

Having just replaced it and bought a 200mm one that doesn't fit I can say for certain that my clutch is 212mm and so indicates mk1b

as the previous answer

Is your cigarette lighter on the dash or next to the ashtray at the passengers seat ?
If it's on the dash, you have a 1a interior

Crossover cars are usually 86/87 and tend to be a mixture of parts, use your VIN number with Mr T when ordering parts and you should get the correct bits.
I'm guessing you didn't order the clutch from Mr T and went by the year, using the VIN and going through the EPG would probably have identified the correct one.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

The smaller clutch was only used on the very early mk1a's. Can't remember the exact changeover date without looking it up but the vast majority of cars use the bigger clutch.

The 'crossover' cars aren't quite as much of a parts bin special as some people like to think, every part has a clearly defined changeover date, it's just that whilst many people still think purely in terms of "mk1a" or "mk1b" there were actually about 4 different phases over the course of the UK mk1's life.

Sounds like you've got what is commonly referred to as a 'crossover', it's mostly early parts but with a few later bits thrown in. To add confusion your teardrop wheels probably aren't original, the cam covers can end up any colour and are a pretty poor way of defining which type of car you have and I think the valance is poorly described in the other thread. An early valance has a once piece, quite shallow plastic lip accross the whole front of the car with one metal panel each side above it which meet in the middle. The later valance has a much deeper 2 piece plastic lower section and the metal parts are consequently smaller and do not meet in the middle. Also the leading edge of the early bumper is vertical whereas the later one slopes back towards the top.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

kaiowas wrote:

The 'crossover' cars aren't quite as much of a parts bin special as some people like to think, every part has a clearly defined changeover date

at last someone talking sense! yes every major change would have been pre planned and following a body sequence number
its only the likes of Rover that fitted what they could get hold of
jnoiles

Post by jnoiles »

jimi wrote:Is your cigarette lighter on the dash or next to the ashtray at the passengers seat ?
If it's on the dash, you have a 1a interior

Yup, it's on the dash.

jimi wrote:Crossover cars are usually 86/87 and tend to be a mixture of parts, use your VIN number with Mr T when ordering parts and you should get the correct bits.

That's how I came unstuck with the clutch from Fensport. I rang up with year and VIN and ended up with the wrong one :)

jimi wrote:I'm guessing you didn't order the clutch from Mr T and went by the year, using the VIN and going through the EPG would probably have identified the correct one.

I think I need a friendly toyota dealer who can run my VIN and print me out what comes up. I'm going to be doing shocks and springs soon and the kyb inserts specify early or late model. On the basis of the clutch experience I'm not overly keen to order on best guess and go through the get it, return it thing again. Anyone know of a visual clue to identify what I need?

cheers
Jason
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I can check the EPC with a chassis number but based on everything you've said so far I'd expect your suspension to be the early type. Fronts won't make any difference unless you are changing the top mounts as everything else is the same, at the rear the dampers will be different though. Not 100% on rear spring compatibility but if your given an option, again the early type is what you'll most likely need.

If you want to check what's on the car then you can measure the diameter of the rear strut casings (mk1a are narrower then mk1b so once you've posted up the size we'll be able to confirm.). At the front, an early top mount will have 3 bolts where it attaches to the body, a later type will have 4.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”