[All] [Generic] Who is running a turbo 4-AGE engine??

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2mk1chick

Re: [All] [Generic] Who is running a turbo 4-AGE engine??

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Cool - good update so far Chris
Hope the dry build goes :thumleft:
sounds like its going to be awesome
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

OK, managed to get some work done on this project this morning. I checked all the caps for bore size, ovality and straightness, with a Mercer gauge and a machined bore guage bar. As I expected and hoped, they were spot on. Dry built with the steel crank in the mains, and checked actual bearing clearances again, with Plastigauge. Was wanting 1.5 thou inch (0.0015") and I think you must agree, we have got pretty much what we were after :) Will fit a new piston to one of the new rods and check deck heights after lunch, so i can get a head gasket made to give the CR I am after. That should finalise the engine bits, save for valve springs and 2 missing shims for under the springs. I hope to have the block built this week.

http://www.chriswilson.tv/4agecrank/4agecrank.html

As an aside I decided to have the caps made with little crescent shaped cut outs in their sides, to allow a tool to engage to lever them from the block rails, as these can be fiddly to remove otherwise. They work well. I'll do future ones the same I think :)

We now have CNC files, tooling and some actual blanks for 2JZ-GTE steel main caps. Be aware though, that with *PROPER* machining this mod isn't cheap, but witness the 2JZ engines which have had steel caps fitted that have given catastrophic trouble, due to them not having been done correctly.

Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Chris, just dropped you an email about valve springs ;)
scomr2

Post by scomr2 »

The nut spot face isn't the nicest detail on those caps (no fillet radii to speak of and sharp edge where the face runs off the sides) but they look plenty chunky otherwise so should be alright ;-)
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

scomr2 wrote:The nut spot face isn't the nicest detail on those caps (no fillet radii to speak of and sharp edge where the face runs off the sides) but they look plenty chunky otherwise so should be alright ;-)

I am going to deburr them on the final build. I see what you mean, If I had more done I'd have that addressed, thanks for pointing it out :)
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

I gapped the rings tonight using my new powered ring grinder. I have always gapped rings by hand in a small vice with soft jaws, and on a V8, V10 or V12 it takes forever. This new gizmo should be a lot faster, plus it's VERY accurate. I have also double checked the rod bearing clearances with Plastigauge.

In the photos you can see the difference in piston crown volume between the Formula Atlantic N/A pistons (12.75 to 1 CR) and the new turbo pistons at 8.75 to 1 with a 1mm head gasket. Not so clear is the 1 mm bigger piston pins in the turbo pistons, the slightly thicker rings for better heat transfer to the block, and the fact they are a bit meatier around the pin boss area. The Carrillo rods have their own CARR bolts in them, I haven't used them before, but at the price they should be damned good :) The bolts are 3/8 inch as opposed the 5/16 inch bolts in the Atlantic rods, again, a bit of extra strength, although it won't be revved as hard in the new turbo format.

I need to make an oil feed restrictor for the block to head oilway, and then I can get on with the head. If JimSR is reading, have you got a contact phone number re the springs please Jim? I am at [email protected]

http://www.chriswilson.tv/4ageblock/4ageblock.html
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

This really is excellent stuff :thumleft: Please keep posting Chris :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Any more news on this build Chris or do more people keep dropping more work on you ;)

Cheers

Steve
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

steve b wrote:Any more news on this build Chris or do more people keep dropping more work on you ;)

Cheers

Steve

Not really, sadly. very busy making a living, and trying to fund a rebuild on my Mugen V8 F3000 engine that is proving a nightmare to get off the shelf spares for. It was going to be a simple refresh until I found that loads of bits will have to be made. The prices are eye watering. But it is fabulous to drive and a blow up would be catastrophic, financially.

Too many projects, not enough time or free money :( At least I should be quieter over the winter, so it will be done fairly soon ;) I found out I was YouTube the other day, in the car before I decided to turbo it. Looking at the clip I sometimes think I should have just rebuilt the engine as was, in N/A format again, and saved a bomb and what little hair I have left!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBgKYveCB9M

Will keep posting as and when something occurs.
steve b

Post by steve b »

It always makes you grin when flooring a high power car out of the bends on to the straights though :D
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
System-G

Post by System-G »

I saw you in the Zeus at Oulton a couple of weeks ago and have you in video footage passing us in the little MK1 :thumleft:

We were hoping to have a free day of driving there, but landed up working Pitlane as Jonny forgot to book additional staff :lol:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

That would be the black one with the Opel 2 litre engine in it. We are off to Rockingham with it tomorrow, which is a circuit I have never even spectated at, let alone driven, but at least it's just a track day. My worst moment was qualifying a modern F3 car at Combe, never having even spectated there, either, years ago. The wife described my times as embarrassingly pitiful, and thought I was too old, even back then. She declined to offer to try and better them though, and I didn't come last in the race, just next to last :)

Funnily enough I was telling Jane last night that I am DETERMINED to start next year with only ONE ongoing car project, rather than 3. I said that last year though....
System-G

Post by System-G »

W'll be at The Rock tomorrow too :thumleft:

Jo will be doing pitlane after signon and I will be running the BaT Caterhams on my own so it will be busy for me. Just hope they have been prepped nicely 8-[

Rockingham is an awesome circuit. The infield can flow very nicely if done right. IIRC, it's the touring car layout we're using - so should be good :thumleft:
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

After finishing a couple of other projects before the bad weather I should be back on track with this build. Just got off the phone to Quicksilver Race Engines in the USA having ordered the valve spring seat shims, valve stem seals and some other stuff, plus a spare cylinder head in case this all goes horribly wrong. My intention is to acquire the main bits to put another bare Formula Atlantic engine in N/A form together as a back up.

I welded an oil return for the turbo in the dry sump pan the other day, and now the sump can go on and the block can be buttoned up with water pump, rear main seal housing and dummy front cover (in place of the stock oil pump). I'll get pics as and when. I have new valve springs, the head rebuild is next, I haven't even dummy fitted the new cams yet!
30psi 4agte

Post by 30psi 4agte »

hi Chris
Looks like you are building a decent engine there mate!
My name is Jordan. I own that mk2 cortina with the 4agte in it at the start of your thread.

Have you got your wvalve springs yet. I work at a engine shop and can get them easily for you if you are having trouble. They will work with cams of 10mm lift no problem.

HEAD: whagt are you using here ? Big port / small port standard valves etc?

If you have any questions or just want to run somthing past me just ask mate.... Id be only too happy to help. I have played with these engines for 10 years now and know them pretty dam well. I have broken almost evertything there is to break also :lol:

BTW How much you getting them caps made for? They look pretty good.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Welcome to the forums 30psi :thumleft:

Had a look at your build on the Old Skool Ford forum http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/phpBB2/vi ... hp?t=70941

Very impressive :thumleft:
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

Hi, been a bit sidetracked with work and another couple of engines I am messing with. I managed to finish the head the other day and shim it all up so once I have made an oil restrictor for the block to head oil feed it can go back on the block. I have worked out that a 50 thou inch Cometic head gasket will give me an 8.6 to 1 compression ratio, which is what i was aiming for. I found one odd valve guide in the head, which didn't allow a valve stem seal to sit on it securely, so I have replaced that guide with the correct one and retouched the valve seat.

Thanks for the offer Jordan, I may well have some questions later :) My one worry is whether the dry sump pump pressure side will keep up with feeding a block with oil squirters and a turbo oil feed. Time will tell.....

Some pics at http://www.chriswilson.tv/block/block.html

Ignore the first few, they are of a 2JZ-GTE in for a hop up.

Happy Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year, all the best.
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

Did some more on it today, it's looking a bit more finished now :) A few photos at:

http://www.chriswilson.tv/4AGEbuild/build.html

System-G

Post by System-G »

Very nice :thumleft:
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

I have resumed work on this. I was looking at the cams the other month and thought they seemed to have a hell of a lot of duration, so took them out and had them checked. Kent had sent me the wrong profiles.... I was a bit miffed to say the least, as it was all shimmed up and ready to time. Anyway, they offered to make another pair with the exact same size base circle so I didn't have to re-shim, with the correct profiles I'd asked for. This took a long time.... They are now done and today I installed them, checked the clearances, which were unchanged, and timed them up. I also fitted the throttle pot I bought off Ebay a while ago. I now need to find the cam position Hall effect sensor, which I bought from RS Components, and which I put somewhere so safe even I can't find it :) Once found I will work out a way to mount it and get a cam position trigger signal. Turbo oil drain hose is too short, I either extend it with a join or find a 90 degree hose with longer legs (preferably the latter). Then it's the bit I hate, an engine loom. A bit of finishing on the dry sump piping and it should be pretty well done. At last!!

The cams should both have .1363 inch lift at TDC, given it's a horrible belt drive I have got it pretty good. It'll change as soon as it's run, as the belt will stretch, but it gives me a nice warm feeling to know it was, for a short time, spot on ;)

Photos of today's efforts below.

http://www.chriswilson.tv/cam_timing/cam_timing.html

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”