water leak

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

1owner from new

water leak

Post by 1owner from new »

car has sprung a water leak into drivers foot well

cant really see where it is coming from
any normal spots???
alfiembra

Re: water leak

Post by alfiembra »

Rusty hole in the floor and spray off the road soaking up through, or if it's a T-Bar leaky roof seals.

HTH

Alan
1owner from new

no hole in floor
aint moved from front door in months
thinking it might be
sunroof drains ?

floor looks solid
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

What is the front bulkhead like? has that got a hole in it?

Guy called Kooga struggled with a water leak in the footwell for ages! He'd be the best person to ask regarding leaks!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Front bulkhead sounds holed, they rot like mad there, or your heater matrix could be leaking, i know this is going to sound disgusting but if you can bear to dip your finger in the wet patch ( oof!) and taste it, you will be able to tell if it has antifreeze content, in which case it is definately your matrix.... which is a complete dashboard out job unless you cut a hole in your front bulkhead like lauren once did (a method i approve of because it is such a pain in the ass to remove properly)
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Did I ever! Not leaked all year, but still not confident enought to replace the carpet :lol:
Mine had rotted out the bottom of the drain channel, which runs inside the inner wing. If you take the kick panel off inside the car and shine a torch under the wing and around the drain channel by the windscreen outside, you can see the hole if its there (or feel around with your finger if you unscrew the relays etc located in the drivers corner). Its a PITA to get to cos you'll have to take the whole front of the car off and there WILL be rust!! I also had a leak from behind the dash...had to take it all out, weld and seam seal. Again, caused by the drain channel. Still leaked, so eccentric rod guides were fitted and so far so good. Also found a leak under the t-bar roof seal as they aren't fixed to the bodywork - pull them back and silicone them in to prevent seepage.

If you look at my avatar pic, you'll see what had to come off!!
1owner from new

this all sounds bad

passenger side is bone dry
must check engine water level re matrix
had a fiesta years ago and one of those went and it was a pain to work on

have had engine running and had heat in car
weather has been poo here n.ireland
will check bulk head but last i looked {a while bad }it was solid.
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

The footwell on my Mk1 filled with water a few years back after I had accidentally unlodged the grommet for the aerial lead. Worth a check!
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Go for a good carwash with a lance :shock:

take a passenger, and play mr2 twister looking for the leak :thumleft:
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Possibly a slightly less drenching approach would be to pour a glass of water into the drain channel and see if the leak appears, this will narrow it right down straight away...
1owner from new

Well thanks for all the comments

first off checked the water level in expandsion bottel and it was right on the full mark.{and black}

looked bulk head looks solid

water a post channel aint really looked yet
aerial is a bit loose so that might be 1
used a vax on it today{yes it was dry here well in the morning any way

lifted about 2 pints of water out looked pretty clean so don't think it is the heat matrix{phew}

have put cover over car so that should stop it getting worse at this stage

was gonna call with woodsport to talk about painting her any way
will get them to fix this as well when i find it.

so many thanks for the help so far.

paul

:D :D :D :clap: :clap:
Danthrax

Post by Danthrax »

I've got similar problem with my mk1, the passenger footwell is filling up with water when it rain really heavy. i noticed the water is coming in from the very front of the footwell in the middle. Seem to be coming from behind the tirm panal and dribbling down into the foot well. Any ideas??
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've got a bad water problem too - Some fuckwit smashed my wing mirror clean off of my door and bowed the door. Unfortunately whenever it rains now water seeps in through the gap where the mirror is bolted on :(
MartG

Post by MartG »

Danthrax wrote:I've got similar problem with my mk1, the passenger footwell is filling up with water when it rain really heavy. i noticed the water is coming in from the very front of the footwell in the middle. Seem to be coming from behind the tirm panal and dribbling down into the foot well. Any ideas??

Check the drain for the air intake at the bottom of the windscreen - sounds like it's blocked an letting water get into the heater fan housing
Danthrax

Post by Danthrax »

MartG wrote:Check the drain for the air intake at the bottom of the windscreen - sounds like it's blocked an letting water get into the heater fan housing

Will check that out, thought it would be something like that
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Out of curiosity, has anyone diagrams and/or photos of the location of any drain channels as I've had my car for years but have yet to find one!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”