[Mk2] [Turbo] Another brake question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Another brake question

Post by toxo »

I did notice a change, as before my rear brakes didn't work :oops: However it didn't fix the bit I wanted to fix which was pedal travel and having to pump them up sometimes. Plus they're impossible to bleed - my mechanic mate thinks that the M/C is letting in air.

If that doesn't fix it then the servo is getting replaced next. And I did like the improvement I got from replacing all the rear brake components so I might do that to the fronts too if I haven't torched the thing by then :twisted:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

I personally felt a reasonable difference when changing the fluid to 5.1 and a good bleed. Remember orig fluid prob 15 years old if not changed Its a cheap option (bout £10 from halfords). I then fitted HEL lines (recommend for quality etc) and again the improvement in feel was sharper. Dont get me wrong, not like fitting 4 pot brembos but a significant increase to justify the £60 odd quid.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

I have a 1994 Rev3 NA and I had new rear pads and a caliper replace. They gave me the car back and the brakes felt terribly soft, I took it back suggesting there was air in the system, and it came back with the brakes feeling great. I really wouldn't stick Carbotech pads on, I think you'd be masking the underlying problem.

Go for the bleeding obvious first ... :D
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

A single caliper should never be replaced, it should be done in pairs, rear pair or front pair. With old and new calipers on the same axle there may well be an imbalance and uneven braking.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Got my Goodrich lines from Demon Tweeks with premium members discount. Very nice pedal feel but I can't really say it's down to the lines as I updated to rev3 calipers, discs and pads all at the same time. Massive improvement over rev1 set up though and I reckon, no ABS withstanding, a pretty good system.

R.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

toxo wrote: brakeforce distribution which was an option on the MR2.

it came standard if you had abs and traction control
jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for this guys. Looks like I'll be ordering the HEL kit. Does anyone know what Toyota sell the OEM brake lines for?

I'm trying to convince the wife that the braided hoses are a good price, so I wanted a comparison :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Toyota are about £45 per corner, + vat.
Camskill/BluePrint are about £22 a corner + vat & delivery.
The goodridge braided kit from bob is £62.68 for the kit, which is £15.67 a corner.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jim

Post by jim »

lol, nice one toxo, that should convince her!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If you're doing the work, make sure you use new crush washers when fitting the brake lines (I think this has been mentioned earlier in the thread). You'll need to check that whatever lines you buy come with the washers, or grab some from a motor factors.

Also make sure you have some 12mm 'E' clips (thanks again Mr Hatton!), your new brake lines won't come with them and if you have to lever them off the old ones at least one of them will ping off somewhere and you'll never find it again. The brake lines use a combination of 'E' and 'U' clips to attach themselves to the suspension strut. Having them poorly attached / not attached at all is an MOT failure - you can get away with cable ties but why bother for the sake of 50p?
jim

Post by jim »

well, the HEL kit arrived, and looks good to my amateur eyes. It includes the 4 brake lines, with rubber grommits installed half way down, and also a small packet with new washers and other fittings. :D

I probably won't be able to get it installed for a few weeks, but I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Return to “Mechanical”